Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Red Cross or Red Crooks

Can anyone confirm that of the over 500 million bucks that was donated to the Red Cross for the 9-11 fund, only about 1/2 will go to the intended recipients of the WTC/Pentagon tradedies. I was under the impression that when we donated to the red cross for 9-11, that is where the money was going too. Now the story is that they are using 1/2 of the 9-11 fund to cover their expenses, ie., salaries, other funds, etc.
    Can this be true? When I donated, I wanted all of my money to go to the 9-11 victims, not there presidents salary, which I was told is $300,000 (this has not been researched, I could be wrong). Stop the Madness.
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

I hadn't heard anything about that, however, I did hear on the news last night that Red Cross had asked for no more donations. They had collected over 5 million, and didn't know how to spend it all. Duh! How about sending some of it to the Fire Departments across the Nation for terrorist training. I can't believe that 3000 lives were lost and still more with the Anthrax threat, and they *don't* know how to spend it. I wonder if I could volunteer tohelp them with thier dilemna.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard over $500 million on Fox last night, but the Red Cross web site says it's more like $300 million.

Go to redcross.org. As soon as I got there, a window popped up with a breakdown of where the money is going.

It's not all direct relief to the attacks from 9-11. It looks to me like the Red Cross is using some of the money to expand current programs rather than give direct assistance to those affected.

If I give money to any organization earmarked for a specific cause or function, I expect it to be spent for that purpose. If I wanted to help the Red Cross expand their blood bank, I would earmark my donation for that. Or, if I didn't care, I'd make my check out to "Red Cross" and let them figure it out.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Made a decision a while before 9-11 that the Red Cross wasn't going to get any of my donations. When the time came to send donations for the 9-11 tragedy I made sure that the money was going where I wanted it to. Send your money to :
    Widows & Children's Fund C/O
    Uniformed Firefighter's Association
    204 East 23rd Street, NY, NY 10010

I figure this way even if they need to take some administrative fees out it will be a much smaller portion of my donation than the Red Cross.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

As soon as the tragedy happened- I knew that if I donated to the Red Cross it would not necessarily go in direct aid to the victims. I still gave em money a few days later.
    My German friend who is a firefighter was vexed when he could not donate directly to the firefighters fund- but after time that was fixed and international donations could be accepted. We tried to find a fund that would benifit every person lost- not just a specific group.
    Then I opened the NY daily news and saw a friend/cop I knew smiling back at me from a list of the missing. Father of three. So I stopped looking for the fund and just gave his widow cash in an envelope.
    No tax deduction- but who the heck cares.
    We all gotta try to help the families left behind.
    Bernadette

The lady in charge of the Red Cross has resigned...what does this tell you? Well that we were robbed. Some of the money that went elsewhere went to programs that help other countries...hello?! America has just suffered a huge loss of life, one of the worst tragedies in our history, and the Red Cross sent some of the money we as firefighters donated to them to go directly to the victims families overseas to another country!!!!!!!!???????? I am fuming! I worked for a non-profit organization for several years and so I do understand that some money has to go back into paying salaries, admin costs, etc. But when we told someone their $50 donation was going towards buying turkeys for the Thanksgiving Holiday for less fortunate families in the area, that is where the money went to. I know because I was in charge of the entire office. I think the Red Cross owes a lot of money to the victims families and an apology to all those that donated with the idea that this money would go to those families. This is not acceptable to me at all.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

the Red Cross only helps when the media is covering the event anyway...
    www.cafepress.com/firerev

This is TOTALLY unacceptable!! I tried to get onto Red Cross website & couldn't pull up.
    Does anyone have their address?
    If this atrocity is confirmed, Please Post in forum!
    I'm a single Mom & the small amount my son & I could contribute was earmarked SPECIFICALLY for the Victims of the 911 disaster. Wish I would have sent mine diretly to NY myself now!!

I am the Disaster Action Team Captain for the American Red Cross for a county in Minnesota. I may be able to clear up some of this but not all. To let you all know, I have sent your concerns to the lead chapter in Minnesota who is contacting the National chapter. You will get your answers.

the website for the national site is:
    redcross.org
    there is a box that will pop up when you go there that gives you detailed specs of where money has been spent.

It is not true that we only respond when the media is covering. I am a single mother..i VOLUNTEER my time..i put as many hours into red cross as i do my "normal" job...i get called in the middle of the night to respond to fires...i am there within 1 hour of the call from dispatch...i take all my vacation time to help in disasters in red cross...there are many volunteers just like me...who are there for people because we truly care...

to think anyone misused funds that was intended to help people would strike anger in anyone, a it very well should!...but i ask of you, before you repeat something, especially as important as this, please make sure the information is correct...

please do not let a misunderstanding add to the pain and suffering...we will get your answers to you...i am doing this because i care...

if you have specific questions, i will do my best to answer them, if i cannot, i WILL get the answers to you...

Josie

Is them putting money from your donations into their blood program really that bad? If one of our brothers needed blood after being pulled out of ground-zero then the money that they put into that program would be good.

Just my .02

to answer the blood question:

when the disaster hit on sept. 11, the red cross asked for people to donate blood..many responded...the red cross, as did many others, anticipated more survivors than there actually was...so we have all the blood people donated that needs to be kept from "going bad"...

part of the money is being spent on making sure we have the equipment necessary to keep the blood in useable and quality condition..that is necessary...

we do not want anyone who gave their time and blood to see it just be "thrown away"...it has to be kept up to quality...so others in need may use it...

Josie

Josie - in our area we only get a team if the media is there. And then it is only the Media Relations Rep. who will not do anything for the victims - he will only talk to the cameras.

The Red Cross is a joke here!
    www.cafepress.com/firerev

DFDRev:

I am very sorry to hear that your chapter is not up to quality standards!..that angers me in fact...what you can do is first contact your local chapter and tell them of your concerns, then also contact the state lead chapter...we are here to help..and if a chapter is unable to do the job, then we send people in from other chapters that are able..we have many very small chapters...all run by volunteers...all work has to be done on our "spare time"...we have mutual aid agreements with neighboring chapters that can fill in where we cannot...it is the job of all key personnell and board members to make sure the chapter can handle what it must...you can help by stating your concerns to them like i said...making them look at where they need to work harder...

taking the time to check in with your state lead chapter will only help your community...they need to know where help is not being given...

Josie

Originally posted by Vicky:
    This is TOTALLY unacceptable!! I tried to get onto Red Cross website & couldn't pull up.
    Does anyone have their address?
    If this atrocity is confirmed, Please Post in forum!
    I'm a single Mom & the small amount my son & I could contribute was earmarked SPECIFICALLY for the Victims of the 911 disaster. Wish I would have sent mine diretly to NY myself now!!

If you wrote on the check that it was for the victims, they must do as you say. If you just gave to the "Liberty Fund" believing it would get there, you are out of luck.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

please know that this is an ongoing response effort...the money has not all been spent...

Right now, about 1/2 of eligible families have not yet filed for assistance from the Family Fund. We are still providing mass care, mental health counseling, and other services on site, as well. There could be client needs from this disaster for years to come.

Josie

Originally posted by Josie035:

part of the money is being spent on making sure we have the equipment necessary to keep the blood in useable and quality condition..that is necessary...

Josie
    Then maybe "you" should have told people that the money was going to things
    totally unrelated to the WTC disaster.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

This is from the Red Cross web page:

"Preserving America's Spirit: The Liberty Fund
    We have created The Liberty Fund as a designated disaster relief fund separate and distinct from the domestic Disaster Relief Fund and the International Relief Fund. The Liberty Fund will support the immediate and emerging efforts of the American Red Cross to alleviate human suffering brought on by the attacks of September 11. All donations received since September 11, 2001 will be placed in this disaster relief fund. "

Now they say the donations "will support the immediate and emerging efforts of the American Red Cross to alleviate human suffering brought on by the attacks of September 11. "

But this does not say that the donations are going to the victims. While there are legitimate other disaster related costs (such as food and shelter for firefighters at scene), updating the blood supply equipment and telecommunications is not related to this disaster. The Red Cross is "cashing in" on this disaster.

I know McDonalds and Mobil Gas stations have been collecting for the Red Cross with signs that said the $$ would benefit the people affected by the WTC/Pentagon disasters. I hope the Red Cross honors those promises.

Oh, btw, my vote is

CROOKS!

once more....then i will wait until i am addressed or if i see something that should be addressed:

As of October 26, the Red Cross had spent more than $121 million to provide ongoing disaster relief to the nation following the events of September 11. So far, have spent dollars on the following categories of service:

Immediate disaster relief in the disaster-affected areas, which includes assistance such as food, emotional and spiritual counseling to survivors, families of those lost, rescue and recovery workers and others in need. On Mass Care (sheltering and feeding) and Family Assistance alone, so far we've already spent about $56.7 million.

The Family Gift Program, which provides immediate cash assistance to cover financial expenses of families who lost a breadwinner. So far, we've provided nearly $40 million to those in need. We anticipate many more cases to be opened.

For the many families of foreign nations who perished in the attacks, the Red Cross will be providing assistance through the International Family Gift Program. We have so far expended $300,000 for this service.

Another priority for the Red Cross is ensuring blood readiness and establishing a Strategic Blood Reserve. We have so far expended 11.6 million for this service.

As members of the military are deployed around the world, the American Red Cross will provide Armed Forces Emergency Services work, which includes around-the-clock emergency communication and support for military families. We have so far expended $200,000 for this service.

Through its 1,000-plus chapters around the country, the Red Cross will expand Community Outreach Services, to include promoting tolerance; providing healing outreach; and expanding international humanitarian law efforts. We have so far expended $11.6 million for this service. This money is going to help support public education on "what to do" when faced with new types of threats (like anthrax), expanding the Masters of Disaster program to include educating children on new types of threats and opening and supporting compassionate centers across the country for people to grieve and heal.

We have so far expended $1.6 million for other indirect service costs. Like the costs associated with providing service delivery-fuel for emergency response vehicles and opening and supporting the 800 number. Auditing and accounting is also included in this category, along with operation support surrounding the Disaster Operation Center.

let me know if you want any further information...

Josie

Another priority for the Red Cross is ensuring blood readiness and establishing a Strategic Blood Reserve. We have so far expended 11.6 million for this service.
    People didn't give money for this. This is UNRELATED to the WTC disaster, this is an upgrade in the Red Cross' equipment which was not CAUSED by the WTC/Pentagon disaster.

As members of the military are deployed around the world, the American Red Cross will provide Armed Forces Emergency Services work, which includes around-the-clock emergency communication and support for military families. We have so far expended $200,000 for this service.
    People didn't give money for this. This is UNRELATED to the WTC disaster, this is an upgrade in the Red Cross' equipment which was not CAUSED by the WTC/Pentagon disaster.

Through its 1,000-plus chapters around the country, the Red Cross will expand Community Outreach Services, to include promoting tolerance; providing healing outreach; and expanding international humanitarian law efforts. We have so far expended $11.6 million for this service. This money is going to help support public education on "what to do" when faced with new types of threats (like anthrax), expanding the Masters of Disaster program to include educating children on new types of threats and opening and supporting compassionate centers across the country for people to grieve and heal.

Thread Information