Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Man Allegedly posses as Firefighter

Did any one else read the article from the Associated press about a guy who Allegedly possed as a Firefighter? If this is true then I think they should throw the book at him.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know if this is related or not, but there was a man here in the Dallas area who went around for several day telling people that he was a FF for FDNY and that he was taking a vacation in Dallas. He appeared on several morning radio shows and made several appearences out in town raising money. It was discovered several days later that he was actually (correct me if I'm wrong) some kind of delivery guy that worked near the WTC. What an idiot.
    Don't understand that one at all.

Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Hi LtStick and Firefighter631. Sorry I can't contribute to your enquiry, however upon hearing the story, I feel drawn to comment. I take enormous pride at being a firefighter and it truly is the greatest job in the world. However, there are times when it seems like the worst job (as all of you will have experienced). I imagine right now there are a lot of brothers, particulary our FDNY brothers, who are really hurting...And there are some terrible scars that will never go away, long after the television lights have switched off and the cameras have stopped rolling. Our uniform and our profession is a badge of honour...of at times heroic deeds and courageous actions...and at other times, we confron the worst that humanity can serve before us.

TO THAT INDIVIDUAL IMPERSONATING A FIREFIGHTER, THINK ABOUT THAT NEXT TIME YOU TRY TO STEAL YOUR FIVE MINUTES OF GLORY.

TREAD SAFELY, BROTHERS. GOD BLESS ALL THOSE WHO SERVE.

Hoepfully they prosecute that moron to the fullest level. He insults us all with his crap.
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

What amazes me is not the brazen attitude of a "delivery boy". It is the media not checking to see if this clown was actually a firefighter with the FDNY. All they had to do was ask for an ID or call the FDNY!

I carry my Fire Department photo ID card with me at all times, along with my IAFF union card. Hell, you may even find a payroll stub in the wallet at times to prove that I get paid for doing a job I love!

Impersonating a police officer is an arrestable offense, impersonating a firefighter should be too!

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I can't fiqure what would drive somebody to do such a thing. You hear of people posing as Police Officers and other public officials usually for monitary gain or as a front to commit a crime. For an Idiot like this one to pose as a Firefighter is a down right disgrace let alone to pose as an FDNY Firefighter I'll save the words !! What could this guy have been thinking ? With all the people that were lost in NYC and here is this guy going around telling people he's a member of the FDNY on vacation ---- In Dallas ? Who vacations there ? besides heat what else is there ? Any FDNY Member in his/her right mind I'm sure has canceled vacations so they can either work their regular tour or dig for co-workers....This guy ought to be squashed...Once he's identified he should be plastered all over the media so we can see what kind of selfish people we have in this country. The people of the FDNY Worked very hard to get where they are and I admire each and every one of them {I did even before 9-11-01} The person posing as a firefighter should be arrested and prosecuted just as they would posing as a police officer after it is the same type of crime isn't it ?
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

After some looking around I found the Article. It came from the Associated Press. I'm surprised its not a top Story here.

Man who allegedly posed as firefighter for gifts in
    custody

PITTSBURGH -- Before Monday night's NFL game, a ceremony honored emergency workers
    involved in the Sept. 11 attacks as everyday heroes. But police say one of those being honored
    was no hero, but a heel.
    Police in more than a half-dozen states are investigating Jerome Brandl on allegations that, in
    some cases, he posed as a firefighter and used the outpouring of support for emergency workers
    to obtain gifts, meals and free room and board.
    He is also accused of posing as a firefighter in Manhattan after the Sept. 11 attacks.
    Brandl, 34, is being held on $250,000 bail in a Mercer County jail -- about 60 miles north of
    Pittsburgh in Hermitage -- charged with stealing a Mercedes-Benz from a member of the
    Wisconsin governor's cabinet.
    "This is a guy who took advantage of a bad situation and the brotherhood that exists between
    firefighters. And then he took it even further by taking advantage of private citizens," said police
    Detective Brian Celatka in Nashville, Tenn., where Brandl is accused of using the ruse to get a
    stay at the Hilton Hotel, among other things.
    Police in Wisconsin say it started before Sept. 11. Waukesha County detectives say Brandl stole a
    Mercedes-Benz belonging to Rebecca Heidepriem, the secretary of the state Department of
    Electronic Government on Aug. 23.
    Brandl met Heidepriem through a friend and helped arrange lodging for him at a local athletic club
    when he said he had lost his wallet, according to a criminal complaint. Police say Heidepriem let
    Brandl use her car to run errands but he never returned.
    It was sometime after Sept. 11 when he showed up in Manhattan, telling firefighters at Engine Co.
    39 he was a firefighter from Wisconsin and was there to help. The firefighters welcomed him, said
    Dave Billig, a spokesman for the New York Fire Department.
    Brandl stayed with a fire company in the city for several days, doing odd jobs and may have even
    sought donations for relief efforts. After, several days, firefighters became suspicious and asked
    him to leave.
    "After he was gone, they (the firefighters) found some of their gear missing -- bunker gear, like
    you would wear into a fire," said Billig.
    New York authorities were planning to file extradition papers so they could charge him with
    impersonating a public official and credit card theft, officials said.
    Then, on Oct. 4, Brandl showed up at a Tennessee fire station, telling firefighters he was trying to
    "clear his head" from all he had seen in New York, authorities said.
    Celatka said firefighters took Brandl to the Hilton Hotel, where he was given a free, three-day
    stay. When he could no longer stay at the Hilton, a woman who often helped firefighters took him
    in, Celatka said.
    "He cleaned her out," Celatka said.
    Authorities say Brandl then showed up in western Pennsylvania, for the Monday night game
    between the Tennessee Titans and the Pittsburgh Steelers, on Oct. 29. The NFL had planned a
    pre-game event honoring emergency workers.
    John Piatek, a detective with the police department in Hermitage, said Brandl introduced himself
    to a camera crew outside Heinz Field and was led into the game.
    "This guy told us about how he was exchanging cards, and almost exchanging hats with fire
    inspectors during the Monday night game," Piatek said. "He said he watched the whole game
    from the sidelines."
    Brandl was finally arrested early Tuesday morning after police saw the Mercedes stopped at a gas
    station and ran a random license plate check.
    Inside the car, authorities found a New York Fire Department parking permit, along with fire
    department sweaters. Also found were electronics equipment and other items reported stolen
    from several states, police said.
    Police say Brandl is also being investigated in Nevada, Florida, Texas and Illinois.
    "There is probably going to be a waiting line for people to get their hands on this guy," said
    Hermitage Deputy Police Chief Larry Matchak. "I think there are some people in New York that
    want to hang him."

Unfortunately, this is not an isolate incident. It happens every day, everywhere. While I was assigned to the Arson Investigation section of my department, I investigated at least 2 similar incidents. In fact, one of the dweebs I investigated was actually teaching at a local fire academy when I caught up to him. He was posing as a Captain for a very well known FD here in the greater Los Angeles area. He had a full set of TO's and house uniforms. He told everyone he was assigned to the FD Air Operations. The District Attorneys Office declined to procecute since he (dweeb boy) received no "personal gain" from his impersonation.

The second impersonation was a guy who said he was a photographer for this very site...FireHouse. He was known to many investigators and in fact, was the subject of many surveillences for possible serial arson. He showed up on a major fire wearing some TO's from a department south of us. He stated he they were given to him by the FD. I contacted that FD and low and behold it was true!!!! They took him in and provided him with TO's, let him ride with them for weeks. Needless to say, they were greatly embarrassed. A few weeks later he was arrested for multiple counts of child molestation.

What's the bottom line. CHECK THEM OUT. Before you let someone into your circle, check their IDs. Check their drivers license. Clear them through your Investigation section. In each of these cases, they were "wanna be's" to a higher degree. It may be unpopular or an inconvienient, but the damage those viruses cause can be devastating to a department.

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Captain Ice ]
    Be Proud, Be Courageous, Be Humble.
    Be safe!
    Captain Ice

Well I think this guy is gonna be in for a boat load of trouble.
    I think that the Captain has a good point on this topic.
    We need to make sure people are who they claim they are if we are not sure. It never hurts to be sure. Better safe than sorry as the saying goes.

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Lt. Stick,
    We recently had a bill signed into law down here in South Carolina to screen potential person's for firefighting positions. It was called S-390. Here is the law as read from the book.

May 22, 2001

S.390

Introduced by Senator Reese

Read the first time May 1, 2001.

A BILL TO ENACT THE "SOUTH CAROLINA FIREFIGHTERS EMPLOYMENT AND REGISTRATION ACT" INCLUDING PROVISIONS TO AMEND TITLE 40 OF THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS, BY ADDING CHAPTER 80, RELATING TO FIREFIGHTER EMPLOYMENT AND REGISTRATION, SO AS TO PROVIDE DEFINITIONS IN REGARD TO FIREFIGHTER REGISTRATION, TO REQUIRE CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECKS ON FIREFIGHTERS EMPLOYED IN THIS STATE ON OR AFTER JULY 1, 2001, TO REQUIRE REGISTRATION OF FIREFIGHTERS WITH THE OFFICE OF THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL, TO REQUIRE THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL ASSIGN REGISTRATION NUMBERS TO AND MAINTAIN CERTAIN RECORDS ON REGISTERED FIREFIGHTERS, TO PROVIDE THAT EXCEPT FOR A FIREFIGHTER EMPLOYED BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT, NO PERSON SHALL BE ALLOWED TO PERFORM FIREFIGHTING DUTIES IN THIS STATE ON OR AFTER JULY 1, 2001, WITH A PUBLIC FIRE DEPARTMENT OR EMPLOYER WITHOUT BEING REGISTERED AS A FIREFIGHTER, TO REQUIRE THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL REGISTER EACH FIREFIGHTER AND MAINTAIN CERTAIN INFORMATION AND RECORDS ON EACH FIREFIGHTER, TO REQUIRE FIRE DEPARTMENTS AND EMPLOYERS OF FIREFIGHTERS TO NOTIFY THE STATE FIRE MARSHAL OF THE SEPARATION OF A FIREFIGHTER FROM EMPLOYMENT, AND TO PROVIDE FOR WRITTEN WARNINGS AND CIVIL PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS OF THIS CHAPTER.

Amend Title To Conform

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1.Title 40 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Chapter 80

Employment and Registration of Firefighters
    Section 40-80-10. (A) This chapter may be cited as the 'South Carolina Firefighters Employment and Registration Act'.

(B) For purposes of this chapter:

(1) 'Employer' means any fire department or other entity which puts an individual or employee in service as a firefighter or assigns any person to work or to official duties as a firefighter whether or not the firefighter receives financial compensation.

(2) 'Employment date' means the date the fire chief certifies the firefighter is trained and prepared to perform firefighting duties.

(3) 'Fire chief' means the highest ranking officer or official in charge of a fire department, whether or not called by some other title.

(4) 'Fire department' means any organization providing rescue, fire suppression, and related activities including any public or government sponsored organizations engaged in rescue, fire suppression, and related activities.

(5) 'Firefighter' means any person, male or female, paid or unpaid, who engages in rescue, fire suppression, or related activities under the supervision of a fire chief or fire department.

(6) 'Firefighting duties' means duties relating to rescue, fire suppression, public safety, and related activities as assigned by a fire chief.

Section 40-80-20. (A) Prior to employment of any firefighter, paid or volunteer, the fire chief or other employer must ensure that each prospective firefighter undergoes a criminal records check conducted by a law enforcement agency.

(B) The cost of the criminal records check must not exceed eight dollars.

(C) A person who is convicted, pleads guilty or no contest, or otherwise admits guilt, regardless of adjudication, to a felony, arson related crime, use of an illegal substance, or abuse of a controlled substance within the last ten years, shall not be allowed to perform firefighting duties in the State of South Carolina on or after July 1, 2001. After the expiration of the ten-year period, a fire chief has the option and discretion to determine whether or not to hire a person with a criminal record as a firefighter.

(D) A criminal records check is not required for a firefighter employed on or before June 30, 2001.

Section 40-80-30. (A) No later than sixty days after the start of his employment date as a paid or volunteer firefighter, each firefighter must be registered with the Office of the State Fire Marshal by their fire chief or other employer. The criminal background check required by Section 40-80-20 must be conducted before registration.

(B) The Office of the State Fire Marshal must maintain a file on each registered firefighter in this State, that includes all information required to be kept by this chapter, and must assign a firefighter identification number to each registered firefighter which corresponds with the firefighter's social security number.

(C) Upon request the information in the file of an individual firefighter may be released in its entirety to a potential employer as defined in this chapter and may be used as a basis for employment. The requesting department or employer must maintain this information in a confidential manner.

(D) Any registered firefighter may at any time request and obtain a copy of his or her file. The fee for a copy of a firefighter's file is five dollars payable to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

Section 40-80-40. (A) No person may be allowed to perform firefighting duties with a public fire department, organization, or employer of a county, municipality, special purpose district, or other political subdivision in this State on or after July 1, 2001, without first undergoing a criminal background check as required by Section 40-80-20 and being recommended for registration pursuant to Section 40-80-50.

(B) A firefighter employed by the United States Government and working in the course and scope of his official duties as a federal employee is not required to be registered under this chapter.

(C) A firefighter who works for or serves more than one fire department must be registered by each department.

(D) A firefighter previously registered with the Office of the State Fire Marshal, but not actively engaged with a fire department or as a firefighter for a period of six months, must apply for registration and must submit a criminal records check as required by Section 40-80-20. Firefighters that are being reinstated to their last registered department within a period of not more than three years are exempted from the provisions contained in this section.

Section 40-80-50. Upon recommendation of a fire chief or other employer, the Office of the State Fire Marshal must register each firefighter subject to the provisions of Sections 40-80-30 and 40-80-40. The Office of the State Fire Marshal must maintain as minimum information on each firefighter the complete name, the date of birth, the social security number, the South Carolina driver's license number, the employer, and the date of employment or membership. The Office of the State Fire Marshal must notify the chief of the employing fire department or other employer of the registration. This notification may be transmitted electronically or in written form. The fire chief must utilize forms as required and provided by the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

Section 40-80-60. If a firefighter becomes separated from employment or membership or becomes inactive, the fire chief or other employer within sixty days must notify the Office of the State Fire Marshal of the firefighters separation or inactive status. Notification of separation of a firefighter from employment must be on a form as provided by the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

Section 40-80-70. Notwithstanding another provision of law, the provisions contained in this chapter do not apply to individuals engaged in firefighting duties during a declared state of emergency."

SECTION 2. Subsections (C), (D), and (E) of Section 2 of Act 1377 of 1968, as added by Act 522 of 1992, are amended to read:

"(C) In addition to the tax imposed pursuant to the provisions of Section 38-7-30 of the 1976 Code, an additional tax of thirty-five one-hundredths percent is imposed annually on the gross premium receipts less premiums returned on canceled policy contracts and less dividends and returns of unabsorbed premium deposits of all fire insurance companies doing business in the State. This tax must be collected by the Director of the Department of Insurance as other taxes on fire insurance companies are collected. All sums collected for this tax must be paid annually by the to the State Treasurer to be credited to the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulations to be used for capital improvements and support at the State Fire Academy, implementation of the Firefighter Employment and Registration Act established in Chapter 80 of Title 40 of the 1976 Code, regional service delivery of public fire fighter education and training, fire prevention services, and public fire safety education, including grants to entities providing fire and life safety education on a statewide basis. Amounts necessary to conduct the fingerprint and background checks required pursuant to Chapter 80, Title 40 of the 1976 Code, must be transferred from the DLLR Fund to SLED and retained, expended, and carried forward for these purposes.

(D) Reserved

(E) Reserved

SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Now this is not the FINAL version, however the changes I think are miniscule and this has since been passed and is now law. I know that it will not help with everything, but it will help with some and it will discourage "wannabes" who might have a criminal record of signifigance to pack their bags and split.

Does any other states have similiar bills or laws in place?
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

He ought to be hung out to dry {Up-Side Down} If there is one thing I can't stand that is somebody impersonating a firefighter, e.m.t., or police officer just because they get a woody when they hear sirens. Some even believe their fantasies and think they a really what they pretend to be. Thats nuts !! They make medication for these certified looney-tunes. I hope he's prosecuted on each and every charge. That way he'll be able to stay someplace for free on a more perminent basis.....JAIL
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Thread Information