Default Bullard New Yorker helmet problem

I recently purchased a Bullard New yorker style helmet and it has been in a few fires, but no ball busters yet. I believe in keeping my gear clean, so after every call I give it the once over and some suds and water. I have noticed when I take my ear and neck shroud out the velcro in the helmet comes out with it. It seems to be losing its "sticky" side. But a 2 month old Helmet should not be doing that. I was just wondering if any one else had this same problem with a bullard helmet or if it is just mine that is acting up?

LEATHER FOREVER!
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

That problem is not just with the traditional style Bullard, all of their helmets do that. I used to use a Bullard PX and had that problem all the time until I took a heavy duty adhesive and put it on the back of the velcro. Another thing about Bullard is that they do not stand behind their product in any way, which is why I now wear a Paul Conway traditional. Yes it's a bit more expensive but it's worth it.
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Hi FIREEATER650,

Our fire service uses Bullards...I have to say I swear by mine. In relation to the cleaning issue, I don't have that problem...every scratch, smudge, blemish, bit of soot etc etc has a particular story attached to it...it's kind of a badge of honour. I know it's smelly and filthy. and my girlfriend wont come in the car with me when I've got my gear with me! Oh well, thats one of the things about this job. Best wishes mate, I hope you sort it out.

Stay Safe.

Forum Member

Mt Department issue helmet is a Bullard traditional, and I had the same problem with the velcro coming out. I stripped that velcro and put in some "industrial strength" velcro. and haven't had a problem since.

That helmet is my backup and hazmat helmet...I have a Cairns Sam Houston N6A leather now.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Talking

I have had my Bullard UST Traditional for 8 years and have not had a problem with that, or anything for that matter. I love my helmet!

Forum Member

Talking

Holy Heck Batman! I just realized how old this thread was

Gone.

D: D: D: D: D:

Thread Information