Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ISI VIKING PAKS!! What do you guys think of them???

My department is looking at the ISI Viking! I was wondering if anybody knows about them? You know pros and cons, weight etc...
    TC.379

Forum Member

One word: Outstanding!!!

They are lightweight, and with their type of harness, when I am crawling around, it doesn't fall forward and hit me in the head. Well worth the money. It has great features such as the low pressure alarm that thumps your back, ambient/tank air switch on the mask, and a voice mic so we can understand each other.
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

My station has several of the ISI Viking 4500 packs with all the bells and whistles. During the first training we realized that when we keyed up a radio the pass went off. Several weeks later they had a kit to fix that. The voice amplifier is a waste of time, it cuts in and out and is not clear. We have LED lights in the mask to show tank pressure, again of little value. WE will be purchasing 3 new packs in December and they will not be ISI. E-mail me if you have any more questions (LT315ATFD@aol.com)

Dont even put any time in to that shi* get the scotts!

Lt, hate to tell you but the lights in the facepiece will be a requirement in 2002 for all manufacturers, as for the VAS you said it cut in and out, It is set high enough (trying to keep the breathing sounds down) that if you are soft spoken it will tend to turn off and on. The Pass issue is a need for electronic shielding, very common when you have electronic items such as PASS, VAS, Digital readout, and radio transmitting all being used close together. I know of a department that had a problem with a thermal imager's transmitter (different brand) and their radio system, to fix it they had to shield it.

In my area 95% of the departments either use Scott or MSA with a few using surivair. The best thing to do is get a couple for a couple of days and put them through there paces and see what the other Firefighters think of them. Ask the sales rep for names and numbers of other departments that use that brand of SCBA and talk to them and see what they thoguht. Who knows it may end up being the pack of choice amoung the Firfighters from your Department.

Forum Member

As I said in another posting, don't waste your time with the ISI Viking airpacks. We had them, (notice the word HAD), and we ran into several problems with them. The Voice Vectors are not worth there weight in spit. As, Lt315 stated, they cut in and out to much. The other problem we had was with the ambient air to tank air switch, not switching from ambient air to tank air. We had several masks do this. Since the night mare with the the ISI airpacks, we finally got the fire chief to let us order SCOTT Fifties.

We have the ISI Vikings. Ours are the half our bottles, pretty light. We have the hose that plugs directly in and can go to breathing air to room air with the push or pull of a piece on the face mask. We have had no problems with any of the airpacks, i personally love them.
    This is your brain... Pierce
    This is your brain on drugs... E-One

Ummmmm.......Get SCOTT!!

Some Guy

I did not know that in 2002 they have to start putting LED lights in the mask.
    This space for rent

FD111,
    The Voice Vector is not made by ISI it is made by Golden West Communications in Washington state. Don't forget Scott used them also. As for the AirSwitch, were they hitting at it and not pressing it down, or (and I have seen this happen)are they forgetting to close the AirSwitch?

MembersZone Subscriber

Look at the biggest jobs in the country...only 2 or 3 large outfits use something other than Scott.

Scott Scott Scott Scott!!!!!!!!!!
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

MSA is the way! Their new packs kick *****!
    Volunteer(noun): Completely Under-paid Professional

MSA--Sorry doesn't supply enough air
    Survivair--Suprise Air
    SCOTT--Not bad, but I don't like the way the cylinder's neckhas a bracket and is required to be fastened to the rack, wouldn't allow for unlike cylinders to be utilized.

I thank all of you for you comments on the forums and E-Mails and I have purchased the ISI Magnum with upgraded air switch. Once weiging the pros and cons the ISI will be easier maintained and has been more upgradable friendly of the past years.

NOTE: I love reading and utilizing these forums especially when they don't turn into a p---ing contest.

Once again thanks for everyones help.
    Sincerely

Chief, William C Allison II
    Tazewell County Fire Department, Station I

TC1chief,
    I understand your feeling on the Scott air bottles..you cannot interchange due to the hanger on the neck, and Scott has a patent on it so noone else can put it on their bottles. That was a major reason we didn't change over to the Scott packs.

We also didn't like the MSA packs, we have several and I personally hate them.

I understand the "Surprise air" statement in reference to the Survivair...but this statement only applies to the Mark II with the emergency bypass on the chest. We have purchased 10 of the Survivair Panthers and love them. The bypass is on the regulator which is now on the facepiece. They are comfortable as hell and are lightweight too. They are designed to ride on your hips not your shoulders now and that makes them much more comfortable. Try looking at them, the redesign will surprise you.

And NO, I am not a salesman....I believe if you have confidence in something you should stand behind it, and that is what I am doing.
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

HOTDOG you were right about the survivair Mark II, And you are also right about the new Panther. The One thing that steered me to the ISI's is that they were very inexpensively upgraded to the latest NFPA standard for breathing apparatus. Which More or less was a decision that equaled out to the purchase of 2 ISIs' or 1 new SCBA of anouther brand, and on our small budget quantity counted.

Tc1 chief absolutely wrong on the bottles.You can use anybody's bottles in a pinch,it's better to have the neck clip but as long as you get the retaining strap snug you'll have no problems.As a trainer I've worn them all and I still prefer Scotts but I'm prejudiced having worn them all my career.The Scott 50 is my personal choice,great backframe/good balance and rugged.T.C.

Guys, thanks for your input and Chief good choices with the options you were given. As for me I am used to my SurviAir and tc1chief he is partial to scotts. But you know as well as I do we grew with Scotts and you use what you are comfortable with in an emer. I'm sure T.C>Sta#1 will adapt as usual..

Thanks fellas and big brother

Just as a bit of info tc1chief is my BIG bro and my chief!!
    TC.379

Does that mean he supplies your passifier and knee pads!!?!?

Thread Information