Thread: Self-deployment

Default Self-deployment

Does anyone know if there is a provision of NFPA 1561 Fire Department Incident Management System that would address the self-deployment issues faced at the WTC? Specifically, does it prohibit self dispatch or response without an official dispatch?
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

WHAT ISSUES?????????

The fact that a number of companies "self-deployed" without being called. Read some of the other threads about this.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Forum Member

It's a fairly safe bet there is no sub chapter on how to respond to 6000 dead civilians and 343 firefighters in a n orderly and non-chaotic manner. Self deploymrnt from, say Maine where I am is foolish, but If I was a neighboring department and saw that on tv, I might have to think about it.

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Let's see, one of the most unimaginable disasters to date is in progress, and (hypotheticly) you are on duty. Is it wrong for you, as the hypothetical company officer, to excercise some personal initiative and respond your company down there? I think not.

The investigations as to what happened have not even started. Don't jump the gun and try to make a name for yourself and appear all high and mighty over that happened operationally on that fateful day.

Back off, no_name_FF

MembersZone Subscriber

Every Incident Management system has to account for 'spontaneous responders'. Unfortunately it falls on Logistics to handle these people as they become a drain on the system.

I respect the desire of people to help, particularly in a tragedy of this magnitude. My USAR team was ready to go IF NEEDED.

The key part of the IM system is the word Management. Think Accountability. Think Logistical concerns. While the intentions were good those people became part of the problem instead of the solution.

There doesn't need to be a special provision for Self-deployment - the existing accepted practices preclude it.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

Indeed this was an incident of proportions we have never seen. I pray to god we never see them again. I will never know the true state of things at ground zero during this horendous event. But I can not help but think that even for a department with the recorces and profesionalism as FDNY things were quite hectic and disorganized for a time. Where I started as vol. there was several very small under equiped and under trained people doing the best they could. We did self deploy at times for neighboring departments with no problems. There may be some local companies not part of the FDNY that had worked with FDNY before on occasion. I could understand if they chose to take it upon there selves to move in a orderly fasion toward the sight and offer assistance where needed. But not just to drive in and start free lancing. Do I think there was reason to start driving for hours adding to the huge logistical problems already present. NO. We must be disiplined and use our heads.

Thread Information