MembersZone Subscriber

Default How long does your SCBA cylinder last???

My Dept. is looking at new SCBA's.....we currently use Scott 2.2 @ 2216 psi. @ 30 mins. We are going to buy the Scott 4.5 but we have yet come to agreement on the cylinder whether it be a 30 min, 45 min, or a 60 min. So how long do your cylinders last or suppose too... and which one word you look @ getting???
    The opinions and views expressed herin are solely mine and not on the behalf of the organization I belong to.

We use the 4500 psi that is supposed to last 45 minutes. I personally can usually get that out of it since I am a 20 year old in pretty good shape. Some like to have the larger bottles so they can stay in longer. It's a tossup in my head because it's nice to have a little extra air and not worry about running out too soon when really huffing and puffing, but if you are conservative of your air you might tend to think since you aren't running low then you don't need to take as frequent breaks and that can lead to serious safety issues during an extended incident. Guess that's why we went for the 45's. Hope this helps!
    -------------------------------------------<br />God bless our fallen brothers and sisters<br />9-11-01 FDNY - Lest we forget<br />-------------------------------------------<br />"We will not tire, we will not falter, and <br />we will not fail." <br /> -- President George W. Bush - 9/20/01<br />-------------------------------------------

The national average for working time for a thirty minute air pack is 15.6 minutes. We use Scott 4.5 very reliable probably last 15 to 18 minutes of work time. The larger bottles are heavier and you should consider this, is the added weight worth the extra little time? The heavier you are (dead weight) the less effective you are. We also respond by getting a 4 man truck crew with 20 personnel on the first alarm. This may be more than you it may be less. Most often we have an engine crew staged awaiting assignment, so frequent breaks are usually not a problem. It works for us.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: jmichael ]

Thread Information