Forum Member

Default Things that make you go...Hmmm...

Here it is again. Veterans Day, actually yesterday, my city administration, banks, lots of offices go ahead and take the three day weekend to "celebrate". Yet most of the people I know in those positions aren't veterans, and wouldn't even have considered it at the time in there life when that choice was available. But here I am with lots of co-workers that are veterans...at work, AGAIN. Sure we could take the time off, without pay or cost a future vacation day. (this is just my annual bitch). I guess one way or another we've still got the watch, and probably always will. The problem with this generation is they don't know the true meaning of public service. In any case, any other veterans out there that are working today... have a great day, I salute you.

Frank
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Consideer your salute returned Chief. I am stuck on dispacth today and would much rather be out with a BarBQ with some fellow vets.
    Dean Urquhart
    I used to only have One President, Charleton Heston, then came George. Now I'm lucky enough to have a third.... Capt Gonzo

Hey Chief, I've questioned this for along time. You're probably right about alot of city, state, and federal workers not being vets, especially those in management roles. They most likely had good grades in high school and went to college and all that. The fact that Vets work to pay taxes so non-vets can have the day off. Sound familiar? So few for so many!
    I can't ask for Gods' Blessings enough.
    God Bless Veterans, please!

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Chaplain 41 ]
    See you on the big one!<br />Billy Reiter 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Firefighters should be honored the same as veterans!! Just an idea and my opinion fellas!!

DON'T GET TUNNEL VISION
    KEEP THE GOAL AHEAD OF YOU!
    TC.379

Forum Member

Chief Rizzio, I don't understand your reasoning. The only reason that Veteran's Day is a three day weekend is the fact that it fell on a Sunday this year. Using your analogy, only Christians would get the paid holiday at Christmas, only citizens could celebrate the 4th of July, only gainfully employed people could celebrate Labor Day, etc.

Veteran's Day is holiday for all so they can honor those who served. If you are scheduled to work on the holiday, you have two choices...work or take the day off! Many companies give their employees the choice of taking the Veteran's day holiday or the day after Thanksgiving off.

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in my community Veteran's Day is a paid holiday whether you are working or not. If you happen do be on duty the night before or the day of the holiday, you get time and half for working the tour.

I also thank our veterans!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Things that go hmmm? So I guess that only African Americans get MLK day off and only Presidents get President's day off too? So who really deserves the day after Thanksgiving off? Does'nt that one make for a 4 day weekend? I was quite surprised tho to see the stock market open today. Oh yeah I almost forgot, just who was Memorial day named after? UMMMM....

Forum Member

I guess it would be difficult for those who are "momorialized" to observe Memorial Day... and even harder for Christopher Columbus to observe Columbus day.

I think our communities are to blame for some of the Veterans' Day misdirection. On Memorial Day, most have some kind of community service. How many communiuties do the same for Veterans' Day? While it is only proper to remember those who gave their lives to serve our Country.... isn't it more fitting to pay a tribute to those who are still alive to appreciate it?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Greetings gentlemen, just wanted to throw a fact or two in. Veterans Day "V-Day" was established to officially recognize the end of World War I, which was on November 11, 1918. The resolution by congress was signed into order on June 24, 1926, this was changed on May 13, 1938 to be known as "Armistice Day."

After WWII and Korea the name of the day of remembrance was changed to honor American veterans of all wars, signed as Veterans Day, June 1, 1954.

In the late 60's I believe it was intended to honor veterans with a three-day weekend. Unfortunately, states also took advantage of this to increase the economy and encourage people to travel and spend money. I guess everything gets commercialized at some point.

Peace and stay safe all.

Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

Thread Information