Default Firefighter 1 and firefighter 2 training

I am getting ready to start my firefighter 1 and 2 training tonight. Any thoughts on good ways to study or any learning tricks. I have been a vol. firefighter for about 2 yrs now and my department is paying for me to go through these classes. I am already an EMT-B. Looking at this as mybe a career change if any options arise. Just looking for comments. Thanks.
    Indiana EMT

stay up all night drinking beer

I'm not sure whether our Firefighter ABC course is the same thing as this Firefighter 1 and 2 course that you're talking about, but the only advice I can give is that the course I took was 90 percent war stories and 10 percent training! And the war stories were good ones, too...

Seriously, any training is good. I wish the course I'd taken at least dealt with pumps, but I got plenty of that from my own department. Odd that they'd teach someone how to fight interior but not run a pump, hmmm??

best of luck,
    stay safe,
    Nik

I was part of a FF1/2 class in Indiana about a year and a half ago. It is much more difficult than the old way of testing.

However, if you will listen closely, and take notes if you learn better that way, and read the book, you should be ok.

Just FYI, 2 of 13 passed the written part the first time in the class I took.

Patrick
    Patrick
    18-03
    Orleans Fire
    www.orleansfire.com

IACOJ Agitator

> 2 of 13 passed the written part the first time

That reminds me...when I was taking Connecticut's FF1 class at the Hartford County Regional Fire School (same compound as the State Academy), someone asked how many people usually passed. They said the statewide average was 64% and their average was over 90%. Sure enough, most of the people in my class passed the first time around.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

If you're gonna be using the IFSTA textbook...

DO THE WORKBOOK!!! It really helps!

Oh, and get to be buds with your classmates. They may have strategies you hadn't thought of.
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

RRR

If you're doing NFPA 1001 Level One and Level Two firefighter certification ---

You'll probably use the IFSTA book - and get the study guide to go with this for sure. It is one book with pages in each chapter clearly labelled Level I or II. I think this is the first year for the study guide and I think it was put out to really and truly try to help people study because there is just so much to cover in the big IFSTA book. Do all the quizes in the study guide a few times and in the IFSTA book go to the back of each chapter and practice ALL the practical components even if you think some of the things would never be something you would have to demonstrate -- these could be the vary ones you have to do for the practical tests.

AS SOON AS YOU FINISH WRITING YOUR LEVEL I OR LEVEL II CERTIFICATION TEST AND ARE READY TO GO HOME, HIGHLIGHT ALL THE QUESTIONS IN THE TEXT AND STUDY GUIDE THAT YOU CAN REMEMBER (DO IT IN YOUR CAR BEFORE YOU LEAVE)--THIS WILL HELP YOU STUDY FOR ANY RE-WRITE YOU MAY HAVE TO DO.

The Level I and Level II tests I wrote did have a few picky questions in them. I can't remember exactly how they were worded but something like: (For the Level One I remember)How many hours a week (or month?) should you run a generator for maintenance reasons? For Level II you had to know what color hydrants correspond to what GPM (according to the text). The main text has so much info that it is next to impossible to remember little things like this --- the study guide includes some of them I think and they could be asked.

I wrote my Level One in 1995 and only two out of 13 or 14 passed. I got a 68% and needed a 70% I think it was --- when I re-wrote I got in the high eighties somewhere.

I wrote my Level II this summer, failed once again along with everyone else in the class except for the three guys that bought the study guide and did all the practise quizes. I bought this and then passed.

Boy am I glad I took typing in high school!

Good luck!

Good Luck, IFSTA has flash cards for FF I and II. I use these cards when I teach FF I and II and at the end of ever class I use these cards to ask questions to my students. They are good to assist you in studying and for getting ready for for cert test. Also rember to highlight in your text book any items the Instructor stresses

Thread Information