I keep getting asked what's in my medical jumpsuit..and since I wear the darn thing under my bunkers half the time I kinda consider it part of my turnouts too. So I'll fill you guys in on the jingling contents:

Outside: Assorted cat hairs that need to be removed, black band over my badge, and department and EMT patches.

Inside the one million pockets:
    The ever-present tube of oral glucose which is frozen solid, a small pink plastic rosary, these weird things a paramedic gave me called something like "hemostats", neon-pink trauma shears, a uselsess ALS field guide, (I'm and EMT-B)that someone gave me, the gospel of John, a sharpie, Band Aid papers, (My roomate is watching me pull stuff out and she is cracking up!) two small rocks(I'm a geology major in college!), another sharpie, rice (??), oh! I'll bet that rice somehow got in my pocket during the state fair! A Saint Florian holy medal, TONS of non-latex gloves, (I'm allergic to latex - go figure), an ancient Jelly Bean ...eww! a roll of medical tape I swiped from my lead medic, alcohol prep pads, a broken watch, horse fur from my fire chief's equine, 4x4's, a lint-covered Motrin capsule, the little chunk of petrified wood I've been searching for,(I found it during a geology field lab at an ancient volcanic site - so cool!!) and...a teensy tin of Altoids in case I have nasty morning-mouth during those late night calls. (I don't want to make my patients wither up!)

Geesh I need to weed out my jumpsuit before it's too heavy to wear!

New Year's Resolution: Stop filling my gear with Probie odds-and-ends hehehehe (as if that'll ever happen!)

Stay safe out there! I love you guys tons!!!!!

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Michelle Ann ]
    Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

Wow!!! I thought I carried a lot of stuff in my gear until I started reasing this... .

In my coat, a notebook and pen, spare nomex hood, BA glasses, wedges, nitrile gloves, a 6' length of rope, and in the radio pocket a small tool kit with some screwdrivers and pliers.

In my pants, turnout gloves, rescue/extrication gloves, another 6' length of rope, D-cell flashlight, and a multitool.
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside the fire" - Garth Brooks

Forum Member

I carry a 2 cell red mag light ,20 ft. of webbing with a caribeaner, and past my hood and 1 spare pair of gloves thats it .....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

My junk...
    My helmet, I carry a pen, a wedge and ear plugs attatched to the inside of the lid.
    My coat, more wedges, hard Rx lenses case, more ear plugs, another pen, a note pad, latex gloves, 10' rope, extrication gloves, extra hood.
    My pants, two pairs of fire gloves, a leather pair of gloves, 15' rope, 15' of webbing, more wedges, multi-tool, folding spanner, and I think that is about it.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Heh - I'm going to start carrying LESS "stuff" in my gear! I didn't even realize how much interesting stuff was jingling around in all my pockets.

in the coat I carry a pair of klein cable cutters and a set of sprinkler wedges. In the pants I carry a small section of rope I think its down to about 25 feet now from getting trimmed up after fires and getting damaged, the rope use to be escape line but was converted to "equipment roof operations hauler" a few years ago. The section of rope has a caribeaner at each end tied and taped permanent. Other than that there really isnt anything else I need. the flashlight is on the truckie belt, gloves on my hands and hood on my mellon. keep it simple.
    Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Hello,

the usual as everyone else, but also in my left pants pocket I have 50' of 9mm rope which is attached to a grommet of the pocket.
    at the end of the rope is a caribiner so if you are doing search and recue you can advance 50' past the nozzle which you would attach the carabiner to as a reference point.

at the end of your 50' you unclip it from your bunkers and attach it to your buddy's carabiner then you can go another 50' and still find your way out. It is a great Idea for large dwellings and structures. It is basically a tag line which is always connected to something.

I hope this gives some ideas to you guys and possibly saves a life on the future.

Ok...Stupid Probie Question:

Wont the rope burn up???

Forum Member

Michelle, you're not blonde by any chance, are you?
    See You At The Big One

Forum Member

I don't carry too much, but I carry enough to get buy.
    Helmet: Flashlight
    Coat: Radio
    Gloves
    Survivor Light
    various keys
    2 Wedges
    Inside: 3 Pair Latex Gloves
    Pants: Hood
    Pen
    50' rope w/webbing
    2 'biners
    cable cutters
    multi-tip screwdriver
    2 folding spanners
    Loo
    Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
    Protective Services Officer

Coat:

R Coat pocket - hood
    L coat pocket - nothing
    Radio pocket - nothing
    I have one of those handy-dandy retractable gear keepers I got free at the Dallas I-Chiefs show for clipping the radio mic on on my coat as well.

Pants:

R Leg - FF gloves, a pair of dikes, Res-Q-Wrench, leatherman
    L Leg - 20' webbing, carbiner, flashlight, door chocks

Personal stuff I might need (e.g. safety glasses, groceries, work gloves, journal and pen...), I keep in a small pelican box and put it on the truck at the start of shift.

Stuff that is not personal (e.g. radio, latex gloves, haligan bar...) we keep on the truck. I take what I need when I see what we got. But we do have some people that look like a Craftsman catalog and rattle like a Chevy on every call. We got a guy that would drown in a mud puddle he's so loaded down...
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Lenahan's rope must be like the ones we use for complicated structures: it's made of aramid fibers, which doesn't burn (MICHELLE!!!), nor snap, and has "bubbles" on it, so you can feel it and find your way out (--.-----.--.--------)
    there are also two sidelines, which automatically roll up.
    We don't use them at "normal" fires, only in complicated houses, or big halls. Things where you tend to get lost quickly...

Blonde?!?!??! No, I'm a Probie. hehehe

MembersZone Subscriber

HiHo Everyone:
    This topic is right up my alley. I thought it was a trick question at first.
    Helmet - where's my damned helmet. Anyone seen my helmet? Oh well, next one.
    Coat - radio pocket; radio with set of instructions.
    Coat rt. pocket - hey, my coat doesn't have rt. or lt. pockets. Just noticed. Gotta go find out if we paid for pockets.
    Pants - right pocket; rabbit's foot, comb, cell phone and resource list. oh, and chewing tobacco.
    Pants - left pocket; Twinkies!
    Boots - extra pair of socks that I always forget to take out before I jump into them.
    Gloves - floor dry; those rotten bastards!
    Should I be carrying rope? Is the window punch for when I lock my keys in the car? I forgot that I have a carabiner, but the guy who sold it to me said it was a key ring. I think he was messing with me. I've had a couple of wedgies; didn't like them.
    And for Chaplain 41; I always have my St. Florian around my neck.
    As you can see, I travel light; gotta move fast. Don't laugh; I'm serious. I mean it; stop it.
    Hey, is anyone going to see "Harry Potter"? Count me in.
    Stay safe.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Hmmmm.... compared to everybody else, I'm traveling light. Though I can sympathise with the comment about the guy who'd drown in a mud puddle. Our MT has so much gear, he has to make two trips to his car on duty nights, just to get his stuff.....

Helmet - as is except for reflective cross
    on left-rear side, U.S. flag on right-rear
    Coat - radio pocket has a wad of exam gloves (we seem to be running a lot of medical assist calls, plus the various MVAs...), plus my Leatherman tool
    Left & right pocket - leather work gloves
    Pants - left & right pocket - FF gloves
    Hood - either on my noggin or around my neck

That's it!
    HazMat
    ---
    We gotta be nuts...we're running in when the rats & roaches are running out!

Let No Victim's Ghost Say That We Didn't Try
    ---
    Disclaimer:
    These are my opinions, and only mine, and do not reflect the views of my department.

Forum Member

All,

Just thought you might like to know that this thread was done before on these forums. Follow the link for 186 posts on "who carries what". http://www.firehouse.com/cgi-bin/for...=8&t=000026&p=

My own cache of equipment varies, but usually I have a pair of linesmans pliers, a six-way screwdriver, a center punch, a folding spanner, a 2-C Pelican light, 20'of webbing w/biner, EMS gloves and a pocket mask, Hard to tell what is in my pockets as we speak. As I type I'm thinking it is time to lighten the load.

I used to have a coat with two patch pockets,they were full and I just knew that there was NO need for the "huge" cargo pockets on the new style gear. Now I have to think about what I have in each pocket.

Time to empty my pockets and throw away the trash. Christmas is just around the corner, gotta make room for more junk.

Stay Safe,

Jim

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: AVF&R452 ]

[ 11-15-2001: Message edited by: AVF&R452 ]

MembersZone Subscriber

As a MICT/FF, of course I have to carry tons'o junk... Surefire C2 flashlight, Leatherman Supertool, cheapo disposable penlight(the Surefire blinds!), crash scissors, Spyderco knife, 2 "lose" pens(never carry good ones!), lots of nitrile gloves, heavy leather gloves, EMS FieldGuide/Patient notepad and ALWAYS!!! a handkerchief in case of a call like 09/11, not for the dust, but the tears... Brian
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

I have my fire gloves in my coat pockets, a pair of latex gloves,, i'm gettin a set of goggles , a res-q-rench ,door wedges and a garrity light in my helmet, i'm gunna get a gut belt soon 2.
    Let us not forget our brothers and sisters that perished,we must honor their memory.
    9-11-01 WTC FDNY 343

All i say is from me, not my employer or volunteer organization

Forum Member

Always travel light, don't carry anything you don't need. Michelle, loose the rocks!
    Radio Pocket - Radio
    Inside pocket - cpr mask, disposable camera, electrical tester (the kind that looks like a marker, don't touch it if you don't know if it is hot)
    R Coat Pocket - Gloves
    L Coat pocket - 35mm canister w/3 pieces of chalk. Caribeaner, 6 ft of webbing (issued, don't know why), folding spanner, roll of electrical tape, had a rusty pair of dikes(they fell in the hole I cut in a roof a while back)
    R Pants Pocket - Right hand spare glove, note pad, pen
    L Pants Pocket - Left hand spare glove

Most of this is stuff I noticed my old officer had in his. He retired with 32 years on the job.

Learn from others who have been there...
    See You At The Big One

Oh!! I don't mean to have rocks staying in my bunkers! I just...find pretty rocks, stuff them in my pockets as someone bellows "Hurry up Michelle!!!" and I forget about them.

Helmet-wedges, pic of family
    Coat-extrcation gloves, knife, whistle, work gloves, window punch, 20 FT webbing w/ biner, flashlight, gloves on strap
    Pants-folding spanner, vise grips w/ 10ft chain, leatherman, small multi tipped screwdriver, allen wrenches, 35mm film case with chalk, electrical tape, outlet tester
    RJL
    CFFD Firefighter/ Paramedic
    Remember our brothers in New York

Why do you carry chalk and vice grips on a ten foot chain? (where do you fit all that chain??)

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish the guys I work with would see that I am not the only walking tool bin in the fire service. I have the following in my bunker pants: 2 outlet cheater plugs, two sprinkler wedges, spring loaded center punch, 25 ft of 7 mm cord w/ biner attached, screwdriver with various tips, 2 folding spanner wrenches, several pairs of latex gloves(left from calls I didn't need them on), 3 door chocks and a bent screwdriver for digging locks. In my coat I have a pair of gloves and flashlight clipped to the outside of my coat. In my pocket I carry a 8" locking knife and a pack of gum. I carry a lightbox attached to a strap around my neck, it has a dive knife attached to it. In my helmet I have a picture of my wife and children. When I come off the truck on fire calls I always have my radio, halligan and thermal imager. (No wonder my back always kills me after a working fire)

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Afd063 ]

Chalk is for marking doors, floors whatever...so you know that room was searched.....Chain is wrapped around vise grips.....comes in handy for locking onto just about anything....and pulling ...also very good for cutting lock shackles with a cut-off saw......attach vise grips to lock....pull lock away from door...with the chain....then your partner can cut the lock off with ease....
    RJL
    CFFD Firefighter/ Paramedic
    Remember our brothers in New York

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a curious probie...I must sound like a total dork on these forums but...oh well I have to ask because I don't know the answer!

How can you see chalk marks in a fire? It's dark and totally smokey and all black and stuff...how can you see anything let alone chalk??

Thread Information