Originally posted by Michelle Ann:
    Oh!! I don't mean to have rocks staying in my bunkers! I just...find pretty rocks, stuff them in my pockets as someone bellows "Hurry up Michelle!!!" and I forget about them.

I was just curious? How do you find time to find pretty rocks and put them in your bunkers?

[

How can you see chalk marks in a fire? It's dark and totally smokey and all black and stuff...how can you see anything let alone chalk??[/QB][/QUOTE]
    Wow, there is an inversion layer usually so you can see the mark. Are you walking in?

reading these lists i feel a little light
    the coat: steamlight and firebox key on hook, center punch in radio pocket, 1 pair exam gloves, fire field guide, ems field guide, and pen in inside pocket of coat, one nomex hood and folding spanner in outside pockets.

the pants: one Gerber knife on waist adjustment straps, fire gloves one in each side pocket, another set of exam gloves. thats it.

Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

reading these lists i feel a little light
    the coat: steamlight and firebox key on hook, center punch in radio pocket, 1 pair exam gloves, fire field guide, ems field guide, and pen in inside pocket of coat, one nomex hood and folding spanner in outside pockets.

the pants: one Gerber knife on waist adjustment straps, fire gloves one in each side pocket, another set of exam gloves. thats it.

Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Hey Lenahan...how long u been on the job? How many fires u been in...If u have have been in any fires, u would know that not every part of the house is banked down with smoke....yea there are some instances, chalk is not used all the time only when warranted...get some time in FNG.....
    RJL
    CFFD Firefighter/ Paramedic
    Remember our brothers in New York

Forum Member

This is why I dont like these forums........Mr CFFD, if you would read the WHOLE THREAD .......you would see that Lenahan is replying to HCTroubles goofy post about the chalk.......not making the same post. Instead of slamming him and asking all the dumb questions about howw much time he has on read the whole deal or I hope you enjoy chewing on your foot. Maybe you should go to the Illiturs n thu Fire Service post and try there.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

pants pockets:
    - fire gloves
    - extrication gloves
    - window punch
    - phillips head screwdriver
    - flat head screwdriver
    - pliers
    - sprinkler wedges

coat radio pocket
    - eyeglasses hard case
    Shevais M. Shrum
    Western Wake Fire Rescue

[quote]Originally posted by cffd20:
    Hey Lenahan...how long u been on the job? How many fires u been in...If u have have been in any fires, u would know that not every part of the house is banked down with smoke....yea there are some instances, chalk is not used all the time only when warranted...get some time in FNG.....

[quote]Originally posted by cffd20:

Wow that came out of left field. I only made the comment, because how have you not heard of using chalk to mark your primary and secondary searches?
    If smoke is banking that bad, then may'be you should try some positive ventilation.

Thanks Josh,

I appreciate your comment. It is still nice to see people watching each others back. Sometimes I wish people would read the whole statement.

He should have posted, how long you been on the forums? You screwed up your quote knucklehead!

UAF

Let's see:

Helmet: "Toe tags" on which my name is spelled correctly! Thank you, Capt. Thompson;
    Icon of St. Herman of Alaska (Orthodox monk & missionary who fought wildland fires single handed);

Coat: Ziplock bag with LOTS of latex gloves, spanner, pens that have lights at the tip so you can write in the dark (most of our calls are medical), bandanna, hood, & structure gloves, pager;

Suspenders: Pocket mask;

Pants: Hose strap;

Boots: Thorolo over-the-calf socks, great if you're apt to respond in shorts, or a nightgown, or stark nekkid, thus risking chafed calves.

What's in my turnout gear? A lot
    lets start at the top:
    helmet - an inner tube rubber band (cover the name on my helmet so you can't prove its my picture in the paper) a pair of goggles (they look cool, but after the first food on the stove call they got so dirty you cant' see through them anymore) i used to carry door chocks and a garrity light when i had a traditional style helmet, but now we have the new kind and it just wont stay in, the rubber band keeps slipping off. on the inside is a picture of my dad, my brother and i at a training fire, the only time we all got to fight fire together.

coat - another rubber band and some more inner tubes cut to fit over door knobs and hold them unlatched, a hinge hook(also used to be on my helmet), a 4" pocket knife, leather work gloves, nomex leather work gloves(actually air force pilots gloves) a flashlight on a hook on the right side, a window punch and a few door chocks in the radio pocket cause its so big you could put a base station radio in it. and some latex gloves

pants - latex gloves in a case on my suspenders, plus more on the inside pockets, ringers extrication gloves, a cpr pocket mask, 20 or so feet of webbing in a loop, another flashlight, a gerber multi plier on the take up strap, a tft res q wrench, a pump pressure card for those long complicated lays at oh-dark-thiry in the morning, and a hose strap.

i also have a gut belt that has 60' of 8mm escape rope in a bag that i leave in the truck for any building under 3 stories. i also have an m-16 magazine case that has a 4 way screwdriver, pliers, channel locks, wire cutters, vise grips with 10' chain(actually a dog leash), shove knife, ems shears, spanner wrench and a hacksaw with a blade that folds into the handle, and a box cutter.

and finally, its not in my turnout gear but i carry it, i used to have a 20" mini haligan, but it was too much to carry for too little return, so i replaced it with a 4' aluminum FDNY style roof hook.

and no it doesn't slow me down, the only problem i ever had was the gut belt, but its less bulk than an scba.

man...do i feel like a rookie. hmm...lets see...in my right pocket....i have a 3 foot piece of webbing, a pair of pliers, a carabiner and a wedge. what about those spanner, window punch, etc..etc. combos...are they worth a crap? in my left pocket are my gloves...then i have my hood pulled through on my mic holder on my coat. i have a multi-tool on the outside waist adjuster. any suggestions on what else to carry?
    Though you are gone brother....you are not forgotten. Support your local EMS and Military! God Bless America!

We don't use chalk in either of my fire departments and I've never seen anyone use it. That's why I asked about it. Go figure!
    I don't know if we'd ever use chalk on a call. I'll have to ask about that.

What else do you guys use or do to mark doors or keep from getting lost?
    Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

Forum Member

Interesting reading here...

However I didn't see anyone carrying spark plugs in there pockets.

Anyone care to hear this one???

B31

spark plugs? enlighten me, capt.

In my coat I have Resuce Gloves, a leatherman, leather gloves(great for rolling hose), My firefighting gloves, safety glasses, rescue wrench, and a regular spanner wrench.
    "Go in as a team, Come out as a team"

My coat contains: firefighting gloves,mechanix gloves, pen and pencil, phillips and flat headed screw drivers, RES-Q-RENCH, mints(for those early morning calls)nomex hood, personal two way radio complete with mic, accountability tag and safety glasses.

My pants hold my leather gloves, and those pockets also act as my on scene trash can.(its not good to litter)

I have a mini-mag maglite on my helmet also.
    "Real Heros wear SCBA, Not Capes!"<br />

<a href="http://www.newhollandfire.net" target="_blank">www.newholland fire.net</a> **department website**

<a href="http://www.lancasterfire.com" target="_blank">www.lancasterf ire.com</a><br />**county website**

I carry as little as possible but always make sure i have my 'trauma cam' ready (keep the scrap book stocked).
    try it you'll like it

Spark plugs are for venting upper floor windows and getting the attention of the pump operator (ok, you can get a lot of peoples attention with a spark plug).

Oh gee, I wonder how many posts 'til some do-gooder says "everybody loves each other on my department, we would never whiz a spark plug at each other." I know you're out there and before you reply with something like that, it was a joke.

Thread Information