Thread: Helmet history

Forum Member

Default Helmet history

Hey all! With all the discussion on leather helmets, Traditional vs Modern and such, I have a question. Why do the Modern style helmets exist? Are they supposed to be lighter, more protective, what? Since there seems to be a majority opinion that the traditional style is preferred, what's the deal? Why the development of the "salad bowl"?

Forum Member

HTFD4107,

If I remember correctly, the salad bowl evolved when NASA, Scott and several departments (Houston, Boston and New York - sorry if I missed any) were developing the "new - lighter weight" Scott Airpacks. The traditional helmits (i.e. leather New Yorkers, etc.) didn't fit right when used with the new mask. Hence the salad bowl came about.

Many fire departments liked the new masks but hated the "new helmits" so Scott solicited firefighters comments and modified the masks to work with the traditional helmits. Once the mask was modified, many departments went back to their original helmits.

Hope that helps you out.

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET

Regards,
    Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Forum Member

Thanks, Jim! I appreciate your info! Now if only I could convince my department to switch back......

Forum Member

HTFD4107,

If there's someone around from the San Francisco F.D. who remembers back then, he or she could provide some insight into the SFFD's reasoning. I don't know why they switched back but SFFD was a prime example of a department who switched to the salad bowl and then switched back to the traditional.

Good luck with your department.

Jim (1261Truckie)

Thread Information