Thread: SFFD

Default SFFD

anyone here from SFFD just drop a line and say hi.

ONE OF THE GREATEST DEPTS............

ONE OF THE BRAVEST........

ONE OF THE OLDEST...........

ONE OF THE BEST TRAINED.........

who could that be SFFD.........

San Francisco has rebuilt herself seven times after fire lay her in ruin. During the Gold Rush, the town was devastated by six great fires, each of which almost wiped it out of existence! Until 1866, the retrievers of valuable property and saviors of those caught in the midst of smoke and flame were a hardy band of volunteers-men who, arm-in-arm, hand-pulled wagons full of water up the hills to the rising flames lighting beam and canvas, and became Heroes for a makeshift community. Racing to blazes in early San Francisco, firemen cleared the streets ahead with ringing bells and clattering noise makers. Their acts of courage were the stuff of legend! Their brawn and bravado set many a woman to swoon, while at least one made a career out of chasing the engines as they sped toward the flame.
    San Francisco's trials by fire inspired inventions by Fire Department Maintenance Shop Supervisors. Use of the Hayes Aerial Ladder (1868) and the Gorter Nozzle (1886) spread to fire departments throughout the world.

By 1906, San Francisco had grown into a city that was the pride of a nation-Crown Jewel of the Pacific! Her port called all cultures and trade, in her financial center beat the heart of Western commerce. Her people felt cultured and proud and showed off their fortunes in tastes of Queen Victoria and gold leaf.

At 5:12 a.m. on April 18, 1906, the greatest natural catastrophe in the history of the United States shook San Francisco to its knees. The fire that ensued wiped most human artifact from her face. But San Francisco's symbol is that of a Phoenix which rises from the ashes always to be reborn. Without water to extinguish the flames, (water mains were broken), her firefighters wedged wagons pulled by trusty steeds throughout a city of rubble and fought the flames with ax and dynamite. For three days they battled the blaze and delivered the living to safety. Refugees of the Golden City gazed from the hilltops in disbelief as the fire quelled in the hands of their consummate heroes.

From the ashes, rose The City once again. There are 23 Vintage Firehouses in San Francisco which remain as proud relics to a group of heroes who brightly blazed their own pathway to glory with a courage and defiance against adversity that continues to epitomize the pioneering spirit of our City by the Bay. Historic sentinels of our past, sentries and protective reminder for our future, may they always stand as beacons signaling a unique heritage.

Forum Member

OK, Lionpride...you love the SFFD. Thanks. Next.
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

I agree. Enough, please! It might be better if you kept a bit lower of a profile.

MembersZone Subscriber

Living the dream...

Forum Member

No disrespect intended, Tailboard...

"Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Forum Member

So... you guys going to give your new Chief a chance?
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Chief, so far everyone likes the guy. He is very sharp and is willing to listen. Unfortunately he has very few players to help him get things done, and the political system wont chainge the hiring or promotional processes.

If the department gave a legitimate promotional test where you had to study hard in order to do well, and where race and gender were not a factor you would see a huge turn around in morale and leadership. Unfortunately that will not happen, and all of the chainges Trevino makes are going to be superficial and secondary to the primary problems. He was hired by the same people that maintain the agenda of this city. He is going to do what they say, not what should be done. If he doesn't he gets fired. Unfortunately he is relegated to superficial chainges.

Forum Member

Staylow, I hate to say this, especially since I don't live/work in SF.

If you read the article from the Chronicle, posted in the "East vs. West" forum, it seems like the new chief is not necessarily interested in "legitimate" exams, promotional or hiring. What it sounds like is that he's concerned with getting more minorities on the deparment and promoted...test scores be damned. Skin color is about to become one of the primary hiring and promotion criteria.

He may be a nice guy, and he may have some great ideas, but he's barking up the wrong tree with the "diversity" push.

Just my opinion. Feel free to flame away.

Joe Black

Forum Member

you know... I've got no problem whatsoever with equal rights, non-discriminitory hiring and all the rest, after all I believe we were all made equal in father in heavens eyes. But I do tend to lose it when legitimately qualified people get the shaft because someone in management is to afraid of look closely at a minorities claim of "discrimination " or "retaliation". Usually it ends up being the non-minority party that gets penalized. I know several people that are classed as "minorities", are well educated, knowledgeable, and great people to be around. But there are those that take advantage of the system, (admittedly on both sides of the fence).
    I fully expect to get nuked over this, but until you experience it you may not understand.
    Stay Safe, Frank

Bucks

Yeah, I read the article. I was hoping that diversity was not going to be his primary focus, but the city fathers didn't hire him to work against the system. There is still a lot of time to see what he does. Maybe I will be surprised. But, I wont hold me breath. The agenda has been set over the last 20 years, and it will take more than a few months to change that. Let's see what he can do. It couldn't get worse, could it?

Forum Member

Staylow -

Could turn out to be he's just blowing smoke, too, just so he can get some other things done. Hopefully, that's it.

Take care!

Joe Black

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by BucksEng91:
    No disrespect intended, Tailboard...

None taken, Bucks. I was just referring to the overzealous love L.P. has for SFFD, making me nauseous. Maybe she should take out a personal ad or something...

Living the dream...

Thread Information