Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    EuroFirefighter.com PaulGRIMWOOD's Avatar

Well said LocalPrezMike....I agree this thread has (and will continue to) displayed some unwanted statements and emotions and you people should be advised that you most certainly are dishonoring the fallen of every city or dept that has suffered LODDs.

I had the opportunity to spend a three month detachment from the UK visiting and working alongside 11 of the USAs finest departments (and I KNOW there are more than 11 of the finest!). Here are my views - as an outsider who has fought fires alongside these people.........

FDNY - Boston - Chicago - Los Angeles City - Las Vegas - San Francisco - Seattle - Phoenix - Dallas - Metro Dade (Fla) and Miami......

East coast .v. West? Well firefighters all over the world are faced with their own set of problems in their own style of structures and each and every one of them adapt to suit their locality. It doesn't matter at the end of the day - Brick or timber; concrete or whatever....You guys are ALL fantastic! Take an FDNY firefighter and put him in the heart of Los Angeles and he has to start learning all over again - and vice versa! Of course there are major differences in organisation, IC, tactics, structural design, construction and fire protection arrangements etc etc but NOBODY is better than the next! Each has evolved to deal with their own set of problems. I can tell you EVERY department I worked with were highly professional.....they were the elite.......and I know there are more out there I have yet to work with.

Stay safe brothers (n sisters)......be proud.......be professional.....but above all - respect that to be different makes us all so interesting to each other.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Paul Grimwood ]

Amen Mike from a fellow midwester.I have been to the Windy and trained with some of their guys.There are non better than some of CFD's guys.I can relate that a member of CFD once stated the same thing in a little more Ghetto tone.
    Lets do a little check here.Washington D.C. Engine company 10 6,656 for last year.followed by LA City with 5,611 that was Engine 9.Now what is your point? LA is a big damn area!DC has its share of crime and fire.Boston does some of the best truck work PERIOD!If you want to debate this go ahead.Everyone does it different but the goal is the same.And 7 I think you are a 15 yo snot.Bring up the LODD go ahead if it makes you feel good I for one will just ignore your ramblings and rantings.How about St Louis using only Quints?Why didnt that get a response?Or the fact that Bruno is the best damn chief in the world!!(for those wondering I am talking about Alan Brunacini Phoenix Fire Dept.)Now that last one is an opinion of mine.But I am confused why the bickering?Cause everyone knows my dept is the best dept in the world.This is what every firefighter thinks.And that guys attitude makes his department the best in the world.Get over it guys and look at the real reasons why it was stated,as posted in the second and third posts.Plus how about those hand made wooden ladders and the red and white helmets truckies wear.Stay safe and Happy Hollidays

SDF -

I hadn't directed my comments at you and your department...I made a general statement about the correlation between LODDs and aggressive interior firefighting. If you somehow feel guilty or ashamed enough to personalize and internalize what I said, and apply it to your department, then so be it. Not my problem, brother.

But you are right about one thing you said - you don't know me, not at all. So why you feel this burning need to engage in personal attacks is a bit confusing. But hey, like I said, if you feel like making this personal, sounds like your problem, bud.

All I said was that you don't get many LODDs when you're standing around outside.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: BucksEng91 ]
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

I'd love to see the entire article that FP&LS quoted from in the orignal post. I just love that reference to "throwback culture".

Oh, and SDF - I'd love to take you up on the ride-along. I'll show you how a stone age fireman does it. Then I'll buy you a beer.

"Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

For a second I started to think 7Tower was 1000 alarm Larry.

...and another thing, where are you guys getting those graemlins from? Those are pretty funny.

Mike & Paul-
    You guys are, of course, 100% correct. Some of us around here just enjoy a little hobby called breaking balls.

7Tower- I too, am convinced you are a silly little teenage poser who knows nothing of life or this job.

LionPride- Look pal...I mean, "hey dude" you sound like you've got it bad for SFFD. Are you a gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) fire buff or something?

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: NozzleHog ]

San Francisco has rebuilt herself seven times after fire lay her in ruin. During the Gold Rush, the town was devastated by six great fires, each of which almost wiped it out of existence! Until 1866, the retrievers of valuable property and saviors of those caught in the midst of smoke and flame were a hardy band of volunteers-men who, arm-in-arm, hand-pulled wagons full of water up the hills to the rising flames lighting beam and canvas, and became Heroes for a makeshift community. Racing to blazes in early San Francisco, firemen cleared the streets ahead with ringing bells and clattering noise makers. Their acts of courage were the stuff of legend! Their brawn and bravado set many a woman to swoon, while at least one made a career out of chasing the engines as they sped toward the flame.
    San Francisco's trials by fire inspired inventions by Fire Department Maintenance Shop Supervisors. Use of the Hayes Aerial Ladder (1868) and the Gorter Nozzle (1886) spread to fire departments throughout the world.

By 1906, San Francisco had grown into a city that was the pride of a nation-Crown Jewel of the Pacific! Her port called all cultures and trade, in her financial center beat the heart of Western commerce. Her people felt cultured and proud and showed off their fortunes in tastes of Queen Victoria and gold leaf.

At 5:12 a.m. on April 18, 1906, the greatest natural catastrophe in the history of the United States shook San Francisco to its knees. The fire that ensued wiped most human artifact from her face. But San Francisco's symbol is that of a Phoenix which rises from the ashes always to be reborn. Without water to extinguish the flames, (water mains were broken), her firefighters wedged wagons pulled by trusty steeds throughout a city of rubble and fought the flames with ax and dynamite. For three days they battled the blaze and delivered the living to safety. Refugees of the Golden City gazed from the hilltops in disbelief as the fire quelled in the hands of their consummate heroes.

From the ashes, rose The City once again. There are 23 Vintage Firehouses in San Francisco which remain as proud relics to a group of heroes who brightly blazed their own pathway to glory with a courage and defiance against adversity that continues to epitomize the pioneering spirit of our City by the Bay. Historic sentinels of our past, sentries and protective reminder for our future, may they always stand as beacons signaling a unique heritage.

NOZZEL HOG----------- excuse me first i am a lady...... second i will be joining the SFFD RESERVES......hopefully sometime soon..(jan. it think they hire again) and third of all I WAS EXPRESSING MY VIEWS.............
    and 4th NOZZLE HOG.... I AM A FIRE BUFF AND PROUD OF IT......

Some Guy

Just to recap on my post. I was NOT trying to talk down on any one or group of departments. I was just trying to defend us east coasters. I just got REALLY MAD when LODD's was brought in to this. Mr tower 7 or whatever, I sit here in amazment at your comments. The start of this topic was just an observation by some people and a fire chief. It was never knocking the SFFD. Nor was I ever knocking LA or LA co. How this elavated to this level is truly amazing. It nice to see life is getting back to normal when stuff like this happens. West vs East? it is all the same to me, Americans kicking fires *** and getting the job done PERIOD.
    This space for rent

okay i agree with you but since it turned into a dept bashing i had to defend SFFD as others where degrading it ;

Hey Lionpride -

Ummm, I don't recall any posts here where anyone put down SFFD. If anything, guys have been quite respectful. I, for one, am a big admirer of SFFD.

So calm down - keep yer knickers on, nobody's downing your beloved department. What we're arguing about are the assh*le comments by some little wannabe who can't decide whether he's from the West Coast, or the Southeast. Another two year wonder, probably a "Fire Science" major at the local community college.

Joe Black

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

East vs West in the cage match of the century. I can't help but laugh at the whole jist of this forum.

Here in the midwest we try to take the best from both coasts and mix it with our own ingenuity and create the best of all worlds.

Different building construction as well as terrain, wildland urban interface, and so on and so on will always make for individual departments doing things slightly or massively different from others in this business.

Name calling, the tastelessness of bringing LODD's into the topic, serve no possible purpose other than to enflame.

By the way if 7Tower isn't Larry he must be one of his closest disciples.

Take care and stay safe on both the right and left coasts,

FyredUp
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

LionPride:
    Flipping back through the posts, I don't think anyone here was bashing SFFD, except maybe their new outside "Chief" Trevino or whatever his name is with that throwback remark.

If anything, being an east coast style dept. on the left coast endears them to my heart. Now, as for the rest of those dept's out there...

Just an observation from a throwback culture.
    Best of luck to ya .

Fire is fire, it doesn't matter if it's on the East Coast or West Coast. Every community has its vast differences; it also has its similarities.

Boston and San Francisco are similar..large cities built on the ocean, with land reclaimed from the sea, houses that are very close together, on a major fault line, etc.

The tactics used by the SFFD and BFD are similar....so is the terminology (in Boston, firefighters are called "jakes". In San Fran they are called "jakeys") I've been out west twice (Colorado and Arizona) and things are different when you can literally build a new community out of wide open unincorporated area.

We can learn and should learn from the experiences of firefighters from both coasts.

PS: Doesn't 7Tower's writing style remind you of someone else? Larry, is that you?

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Every department has different ways of doing things. That I understand and appreciate. I am confused now after reading all these posts and hope this is not the wrong place to ask a question?? I was told that the California Department of forestry and Fire Protection was the largest department in the country if not the world. Im not into the stats of every dept. but just was curious if true??
    Tom

Some Guy

I think Hong Kong or Tokyo are the largest.

Who is this guy Larry? I take it he has been a problem here before? what is he like a 12years old?
    This space for rent

Please disregard the above question.

If I were twelve I would know everything.

Here on the west coast you are supposed to ask questions if you are confused about something. I will direct my questions to my volunteer department in the future.
    Tom

Forum Member

Hey Cap,

I was thinking the same thing about the writings of LHS*. Very similar.
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry
    Captain, Rescue Company 1
    City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

Some Guy

Hi Kevin. It's nice to see another FMBA guy. I here this guy is quite the wing-nut
    This space for rent

Hey...anyone been to any 1000 alarm grass fires, where 500 engines were there in one hour lately? I love those calls. They're pretty schweet!

Thread Information