For those asking,
    The7Tower, LHS, KA, Lovelock, multiple variations thereof, and a few more names I forget at the moment are screen names of Larry H. Stevens, the former editor of Fire Rescue Magazine.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

I just read the Quint thread....without a doubt, 7Tower is the "Sybil" of the firehouse forums, Larry H. Stevens! His address says southeast, maybe the Southwest had enough 1000 alarm grass fires, burned out the area and he's looking for new territory to conquer! God help us all! Can I have an Amen from the Brothers and Sisters out there!

Larry still hasn't told us why he had to leave Fire Rescue Magazine! I guess he's been to busy with Fire Apparatus News to tell us.

We are still waiting, Larry. Come on, the suspense is killing us!

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I know that my post will be a little different than what the subject is about. I live in a small rural town in Texas. There is a large city nearby and we basically fight fire the same way. Yet, we use different tools. They use large amounts of water. We use lots of foam. We have a cafs unit on one of our units. They hardly ever use foam. We are in an area where water supplies are not as good as the big cities. We have to stretch our water. We have made some pretty good saves, with just one truck on the scene. We look at both the west and east coast departments for new inovations and try to put in use some from each area.
    We are not going to knock either area. I beleive that we as firefighters should use the equipment and methods that will work in our area. Maybe we should practice better fire prevention. What really matters is that firefighters are dedicated to helping their fellow citizens where ever they may be. We should all realize that as fire departments and fire fighters, we should use the standards from all the agencies that govern us as guidelines and use the best of them that will best fit our areas, East, west or the middle of the USA.
    Thanks for letting me spout off.
    Larry

Some Guy

Hey SD and Bucks, can I come too. I find myself in so Cal all the time!

Capt, thanks for the note.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Kyle -

Absolutely! TWO stone age firefighters loose in San Diego!! What will 7Tower (bi-atch boy) think??

"Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Tower, have you ever been to a 1000 alarm grass fire?

(No wonder thay had to find an outside chief, accoring to you their are no real chief officers.)

There are very few because of the promotion process maintained over the last 5 years. Mario was hired under the same process, so I wonder if he too was the most qualified for the job. But, at least he came from Nevada. Right Larry?

(Seattle isn't that much different than San Francisco, It didn't burn down when Mario was a chief there, so I doubt SF will either.)

It is very different. And it wont be Mario who puts out any fires.

(Gosh I feel for you guys, you're going to have to wear full turnouts.)

I know, I think its terrible too.

(Vegas has a lot more guys, better and more stations and all new gear. What is the worst that can happen, you only get half that.)

Not in this city. They want us to cut our budget. Unless you think Mario can change the political system too? You can keep the new gear and equipment. That is not what puts out fires. The personell and training has to chainge in order to fix this department. And even with increased training a great number of personell will never be as qualified as they should be to do the job proficiently.

(Don't feel sorry for Mario, he makes more than any other chief)

I have to feel sorry for the guy. He is very sharp and has a desire to do good here. But, he was not given an accurate picture of what he has to face.

Forum Member

Somebody here was nice enough to send me a copy of the entire article. I'll post it here:

Challenges for the chief

Copyright 2001 The Chronicle Publishing Co.
    The San Francisco Chronicle...11/23/2001

GIVEN THE San Francisco Fire Department's history of insular politics, racial and gender tensions, and fiscal inefficiencies, it is perhaps understandable that new fire chief Mario Trevino is moving in a very deliberative manner.
    The first chief in 135 years to be hired from outside of the department, Trevino inherits formidable challenges, including:

-- How to eliminate budget overruns that last year included $ 13.8 million in overtime costs alone.

-- How to recruit and retain a diverse workforce that -- after 30 years of legal wrangling -- now includes 40 percent minorities and 10 percent women? In 1998, a federal court ended a consent decree that monitored the department's hiring and promotional practices. Now, critics fear a relapse, citing the fact that there were no African Americans in the latest graduating class of 30 recruits.

-- How to merge the city paramedic units into crews with firefighters who are skeptical of such consolidation.

-- How to change the culture of a tradition-steeped department that has long been resistant to change.

In a meeting with The Chronicle's editorial board last week, Trevino characterized the throwback culture he encountered as "the only east coast fire department that happens to be on the west coast."

Now in his fourth month on the job, Trevino has been busily visiting stations, listening to the rank and file and developing a long-term plan that has been sorely lacking in the department. Trevino said a push for greater diversity will be one of his goals. "Diversity is not only a city priority," he said. "To me, it's a personal priority."

Beneath Trevino's engaging personal style and methodical approach is a plainly stated determination to bring change to a department that has been adept at resisting it. His priorities and tactics appear sound. But he, as all chiefs, will be judged by results.
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Forum Member

So Trevino's biggest challenge is "diversity", huh?

The biggest change that Trevino can think to bring to his "throwback" department is to lower standards to make sure that sub-standard performing minorities can get on the department. Beautiful. The public safety and the safety of other firefighters be damned...we have to worship at the altar of political correctness.

What Trevino should be doing, when his lips aren't attached to the assh*les of the local "civil rights" leaders, is making sure that there is equal opportunity to take the tests, not that the outcomes are equal.

Everyone who wants to apply should be able to do so, without discrimination. NOT everyone will pass, but apparently Trevino thinks that the color of your skin is a better indicator of the kind of firefighter you'll be, rather than your performance on the actual skills and written tests...

SFFD brothers, I feel for you!!

Joe Black

MembersZone Subscriber
    The southern shore of beautiful Lake Michigan

7tower

I could be wrong?!?!

But an agressive interior attack in Vegas is when you rush in with a salvage cover before the sprinklers damage the carpet???

(Not an attack on The L.V.F.D. just the effects of protecting "NEW/SPRINKLED" buildings?!?!)
    FTM-PTB
    trk4

Banned

Yeah that is true, but thanks to Mario, there are more firefighters, stations and all new fire trucks.

He didn't create the diversity issues in SF. He didn't create the lack of tallent in the Chief ranks either.

(He didn't create the diversity issues in SF. He didn't create the lack of tallent in the Chief ranks either.)

No he didn't. But, he was hired because of the diversity issues. And who knows, maybe because of how he was hired he may just add to the deficient ranks currently in house. You know, the icing on the cake. We will have to see. Plus, he is from Nevada Larry. How good could he really be?

Forum Member

What diversity issues? If you pass the test, congratulations - you're in. If you fail it, sorry try again.

Oh, wait, what's that? You're an oppressed minority? But you only scored a 40% on a test that basically asks you to circle the picture of a fire? Awww, that's OK. Diversity is a lot more important than having the best quality firefighter candidates anyway.

Joe Black

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Necessity breeds invention.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Originally posted by RyanEMVFD:
    Necessity breeds invention.
    Ummm...OK. And this means....what?

Joe Black

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Each and every fire department is different. We all face challenges that we must overcome and we do it. I've seen some departments do something one way and another do the same thing differently, but get the same results. This is not limited to just fire departments, this is human experience that we learn from. And I guess my rambling is way off so I'll shut up now. Sorry for any confusion.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys sorry if this is off topic but I GOTTA KNOW WHERE you guys are gettin the little smily faces from... someone Email me the link or post it here... thanks...
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah... I wanna know too. Those things are hilarious!!!
    Opinions stated are mine only and do not reflect those of my companies.

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Wow we have 3 new rigs comin that means our oldest will be a 80 followed by a 91 then its 99 and up.Too bad my chiefs name is Ed and not Mario :P(oh and larry whatever the hell your name the 7th time around is Hes not from Nevada) but we will get over that part.BTW 7, Bruno still kicks his *****

Yeah that is true, but thanks to Mario, there are more firefighters, stations and all new fire trucks.

San Francisco grew an impressive 7.3% in the decade 1990-2000, adding 53,000 residents to get up to 776,000 residents. That equals it's high population from the 1950s. Lil Boston grew only about 3% that decade.

I forget where Chief Trevino came from last -- Clark County or the City of Las Vegas.

Doesn't matter for my point, since both entities saw 85% growth in the 90s. Clark County, including LV, added 634,000 residents. That kinda makes a Fire Chief's job easier to add personnel and stations when you talk about high double digit population growth and adding hundreds of thousands of citizens!

Just a little perspective -- not knocking the Chief, since I haven't followed him closesly, just saying you need to know a lot more than "he added people" to make an informed opinion.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Yes, Bruno is a bad dude. (bad as in good 'bad', like Michael Jackson bad. And Engine 58, someone else showed me this link: http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/
    take care and be safe out there.
    try it you'll like it

Forum Member

Hey Ryan -

OK, I get what you're saying now. I agree.

And for everyone that wants these smilies:

Go to this web site:
    http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/

Thanks to Tailboard_Jockey for the original link.

Joe Black

Jolly Roger
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is a faction out there on the west coast that would like to change the way SWI fires are fought from the air.

http://www.firehogs.com

I will profess my lack of expertise in the arena of aerial assaults on SWI fires. My experience is mainly duff fires in the forests of Missouri. We don't get those west coast style wildfires here very often. IF the firehog concept will work, I say go for it. I do think it is worth looking at.

Stay safe.

Banned

So why did take 20 years to add 2 fire stations and staffing stayed the same? The fastest growing city in the US. So why did it take 23 years and two chiefs to add the next station? Why do they have the busiest fire station in the US? Why have they only added 4 engine companies in 43 years??? If it is so easy to get things due to growth??

It is so east the population quadrupled and the chiefs got a single pumper for each doubling of the population over a 43 year period.

Name five fire departments of 500,000 or more with all new apparatus.

So back to Mario, he left Seattle FD, next stop Vegas, he found a tradition bound do nothing low bid fire department, it took him less than 4 years to get 4 more stations, increase staffing 25% and replace every fire truck in their fleet and put a plan in place for the rigs to change forever. You want performance, there it is. If you beleive you are short staffed then either help or get the hell out of his way and let him do his thing.

Don't worry no one uses A-10's for firefighting anymore, it was pretty cool the one year they did though.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: the7tower ]

Forum Member

My impression of Larry (the7Tower):

Blah blah blah...FDNY sucks...blah blah blah...dead firefighters are suckers...blah blah blah blah...1000 alarm fires....blah blah blah...I'm from the West Coast...blah blah blah.......wait a minute, I'm from the "Southeast"...hey, where's my bot-bot?....blah blah blah...90% of fires can be fought with a bucket and a pocketful of mothballs...blah blah blah...

Joe Black

Banned

BUCK

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: the7tower ]

Thread Information