Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Default Concern about E-Bay for IAFF members

I am a career FF-PM and want to pass something along to other IAFF members. I have noticed for quite some time that there are numerous IAFF logo items for sale on e-bay. I have seen window stickers go for as much as $20. I have e-mailed several of the sellers and most of them are not even members. I know my local is very proud and protective of our logo, as is the international.

What is even more upsetting is many of the sellers have used some sort of reference to the 9-11 tragedy in their listing, capitalizing on it to make a buck. Now I see an "official" commemorative sticker and patch available. I'm pretty sure these are not "official", especially since one seller of patches states that delivery could take some time, as the patches are made overseas.

To me this is upsetting and disgusting, and I hope others feel the same way. We have all worked very hard to get our union stickers, and I don't like the idea of just anyone being able to put one on their vehicle, or someone producing a junk copy of our logo to make a buck. It's really a small thing in the whole sceme of things, but still upsetting.

I would encourage anyone to go to e-bay and enter a search for IAFF. You might be shocked to see what you find and what people are paying for it. I would also encourage you to e-mail these sellers and tell them how you feel.

Thanks brothers

Steve
    Steve Monrad
    FF-PM
    City of Anacortes, WA
    IAFF Local 1537

Forum Member

Good post, Steve!

I have been approached by people asking me to get IAFF union stickers for their vehicles. They seem to think that having the sticker will make their vehicle "ticketproof".

I have always made it a habit to remove the IAFF stickers from my vehicles when they are sold or traded in, so nobody can take advantage of the things that the IAFF has worked hard for. If you want an IAFF sticker, become an IAFF member!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Have you brought this to the attention of e-bay? They are pretty strict in their operation so I bet they have a rule that prohibits the unauthorized sale of copyrited items such as the IAFF logo.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: MetalMedic ]
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

I have brought it to the attention of ebay several times with no success. It is frustrating to say the least and the IAFF does not look to kindly upon the issue either.
    Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

Forum Member

I hear you!!! This has been frustrating me too! It's all these scabs who buy this sh*t and keep this market going.

I was at a flee market once and saw a guy selling IAFF stuff (stickers, belt buckles, Pins) and aproched him about it and we almost got into a fist fight about it. He was not an IAFF member and wouldn't say where he was getting the stuff. But I advised him it was illegal to sell a copy written product with out the approval of the IAFF. I wish I was closer to home 'cause I would have followed up on the issue. I was out of state on vacation.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

The people who need to bring this to ebay's attention are the people we elect to oversee the assets of the IAFF. That logo is an asset and we should be using the copyright laws to protect it.

Call or write the IAFF as I have and demand that they defend our copyrighted logo by prosecuting those who have sold it or facilitated its sale.

Also as a friendly reminder,When you sell a vehicle, make sure you remove the IAFF stickers from the windows, I've personally encountered vehicles with the stickers that aren't owned by our members. Most say the stickers were already on it when they purchased the vehicle. Protect our heritage!! Thank You and Be safe!!!
    Formerly engine10_iaff12

Burnie Yoho (member)
    IAFF Local #12
    Wheeling Firefighters
    Wheeling, WV

Well i checked it out and yes that does anger me. I am going to start emailing EBay and the sellers! Maybe we can stop this.

Forum Member

As well as taking the IAFF sticker off your vehicle when you get rid of it don't give the stickers out to all your buddies and family either. Seen a guy with a sticker on his car asked him his local number he didn't have one seems his uncle or someone is a member, to me that's almost as bad as the imposter stickers. Remember when you display the sticker you represent the International.

i just saw the post about EBAY and checked it out, unfortunately i got into a bidding war with someone who had "vfd" in the screen name, in addition to writing a letter to ebay, i paid $20 for a union sticker just to keep it out of the hands of someone who didn't have to eat untold buckets of S%$# like i did to get mine.
    Anyway be safe evreyone.
    JMD L-2075
    JMD

FFPMMonrad excellent post. I use ebay tons and have to say I have never noticed or searched for IAFF stuff. I just did a search and found 22 IAFF items currently for sale, Stickers, Patches, Pins, Shirts just to name a few. I just took about 30minutes wrote down all of the sellers usernames and have sent an email to Ebay letting them know that what they are selling is not only wrong but illegal. I sure hope that none of these sellers are IAFF members. If so I think they should lose there memberships. I am proud to be a Union member in a right to work state where we have no bargining rights as of yet. I have been a member of the IAFF since the my first day on the job. At current only 70% of my department are Union Brothers. Being a member of the IAFF is a privalege and I hope we don't abuse it.

I e-mailed ebay with the same complaint...no response, I don't think they give a crap. Maybe it's time to call for an ebay boycott until they wise up. What do we have, 250,000 or so members? Make enough noise and we should get their attention eventually.

Union forever.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let your international know about this, a warning coming from them (of possible legal action or negative press) will hold much more force than a few guys complaining. Unfortunately, Ebay is unlikely to put much effort into investigating your complaint unless they are seriously threatened.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Forum Member

Thanks for all of the replys about this guys. When I first posted, I didn't know what to expect, but I aure am glad to see that there are brothers that are as upset about this as I am.

I e-mailed the IAFF with no reply yet. I know that at least one other guy from my local did as well. Here is what I wrote:

For quite some time now, I have noticed IAFF logos for sale on E-bay. I am disturbed that these are available to just anyone, and even more disturbed that union brothers are engaged in such activity.

I have noticed this item at this link http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1033720206 , which has been popping up on e-bay recently. Is this an official logo of IAFF? One seller advises bidders, that delivery of the item may take a while because the patches come from over seas. This leads me to believe this is an unauthorized and unofficial product. This is in addition to many other items, such as window stickers that sell for up to $20. I have e-mailed some sellers to share my concerns and have been advised that they are IAFF members and do not see a problem with what they are doing.

Numerous items can be seen for sale by going to www.ebay.com and entering a search for IAFF.

If I have not reached the appropriate person, my apologies and a request to forward this message as needed.

Thank you,
    Steve Monrad

Please do the same and e-mail the international and let them know of your concern. Also, e-mail the sellers and tell them how you feel. Tell your brothers to do the same.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Monrad
    FF-PM
    City of Anacortes, WA
    IAFF Local 1537

Forum Member

You know what, I brought this up the other day on another posting, but E-bay seems to have no problem with using the FDNY name and evoking FF's images when letting people sell their stuff. Whether it be FDNY Billy Blazes (retails for $9.99, selling for >$60) or Ty Rescue the Dalmation Beanies (retails for $6.00, selling for ~$30) there is a lot of blood money on the E-bay website, IMHO. I've lost a lot of respect for E-bay in general, and anyone who profits from any of this can get double-stuffed, if you ask me.

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Not for nothing guys but who cares!. I have given UFA (Uniformed Firefighters Assoc.) stickers and NYPD PBA stickers to friends. It shows that you're supporting the Unions not trying to pass yourself off as a fireman or policemen! I'm not a cop but I also have a PBA sticker on my car along with the UFA sticker. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's just a sticker.

Forum Member

Respectfully 1GoodTrk, I disagree.

I agree that people want to support the IAFF, the FOP or any other affiliate of the AFL-CIO. It's a wonderful thing that other members of civil service and the public in general want to show support for us. But I think it's probably a safe bet to say that the people who are bidding on these items on EBay are pretty much whackers.

I don't see the big deal in visiting the local fire station and ask about opportunities to show support for the IAFF, the DBA or any other group. You can even visit galls or powersiren and order a custom made sticker in a maltese cross fashion. These are all ways to show support for the IAFF without misrepresenting yourself.

This goes back to another forum topic from a little while ago. When in uniform, you represent the department you work for. By the same token, when you display an IAFF sticker, you represent the union and it's collective membership. We in civil service and public safety are constantly subject to the scrutiny of a pubic who often times doesn't understand and a power hungry media who is just waiting to jump on any little mistake we make. It isn't respectful to sell off on some auction site what so many people work to build and establish respect for. It's one thing to give a sticker to a friend you know to be a trustworthy person- it's quite another to SELL a symbol or our pride and heritage on a website. It begs the question of where the money from these sales are going: in the pocket of the seller or to the union where it oughta be...I'm not sure I wanna know the answer to that.
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

IACOJ Agitator

Let me start off by saying that I am volunteer and I have NO IAFF anything anywhere...I'll leave that to my father-in-law who's a retired career captain...so don't attack me for anything like that...

I think someone getting the logo to pass themselves off as IAFF or to show they are a firefighter (when they are not union members or more in particular when they are volunteers) is wrong because they have the sticker for the wrong reasons, plus they didn't earn it. For the people who have the stickers to show support for you guys, don't attack them. Don't forget, they are on your side. Instead maybe get a sticker that has the union logo and something that says "I support the IAFF" or something along those lines. I don't know if there is anything like that currently available, but maybe someone should come up with another sticker for people who just want to show support if having the logo on their car bothers you that much.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

As a former member of the International I tend to agree with the majoriy on this issue. Volunteers & non-members should not display these stickers.

That being said ......

I left a department with an IAFF local for a department that has an AFGE (American Federation of Government Employee's)Firefighter Union (AFL-CIO affiliated). When I left the IAFF,I did not remove the International sticker & a bumper sticker from my vehicles. I have been asked what local I'm with & I tell who ever is asking that I was a member of local ____ but moved on to a different department.

I am proud of my membership with AFGE as they work in partnership with the IAFF on issues for ALL Federal & Department of Defense firefighters. I am also proud of the fact I was a member of the International & their longstanding fight for organized firefighters.........

MembersZone Subscriber

There's a vast difference between an "I support" type sticker and a sticker that purports the owner to be a member of the union. Many people buy these stickers because, as Captain Gonzo stated, some people believe that sporting it will get them out of tickets. In my opinion, the people buying these things on Ebay are most likely of the same stock as those going around in the wake of 9-11 and posing as firefighters. I am not a union member, but I do support them. As such, you will never find me, or any other self-respecting person, in possession of a sticker that blatantly misrepresents my affiliations.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Have any of you also noticed the people who are buying legitimate memorial shirts and then bidding them up to exorbitant amounts. I wonder if the victims funds are getting any of these additional proceeds?
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Exclamation

I am a volunteer firefighter and I couldn't agree more with what Adze posted about volunteers putting IAFF stickers on their vehicles. I have no problem with the IAFF, my brother is a member and I have no intentions of asking him for a sticker for my car nor would I expect him to give me one.
    Volunteers that put the stickers on their vehicles are wannabes. They should continue taking tests to get on a paid dept. and earn the priveledge to display the logo. Until then stick to a plain maltese cross sticker.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

[quote]Originally posted by 1GoodTruckie:
    Not for nothing guys but who cares!. I have given UFA (Uniformed Firefighters Assoc.) stickers and NYPD PBA stickers to friends. It shows that you're supporting the Unions not trying to pass yourself off as a fireman or policemen! I'm not a cop but I also have a PBA sticker on my car along with the UFA sticker. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's just a sticker.

I just don't see how having an IAFF sticker on your window is showing support for the union. Showing support for the union is done by paying union dues, and going to union meetings.

Being an IAFF member and paying union dues is what gives someone the right to put the sticker in their window, anyone else is just trying to dodge a ticket or misrepresent themself.

Living the dream...

Forum Member

As a member of IAFF Local 2612---in a "right to work" state---this is a common but FRUSTRATING problem... Brothers give stickers to fellow ff's that are scabs, management, or relatives. We've found a Division Chief's SON with a "new" IAFF sticker on his SUV.... Our local has adopted a strict NO TOLERANCE stance---and these stickers are removed on-the spot!!! Sometimes---while we are being watched. ZERO TOLERANCE is the answer--and hopefully the the Exec. Board of the IAFF will address this issue w/ Ebay soon!!!!!!!!

In the meantime---display the colors and stand proud of OUR UNION---and challenge those that do not stand with you.

Forum Member

I have had people come to the station and even on calls!!! trying to buy IAFF stickers. one guy offered me $20 for one. of all these people do not many relized that it was a union sticker, they thought that it was simply a FD one. Their is a guy that goes by the name Rizzi that claims to be a retired FDNY member, though no record of his employment with FDNY has ever been found and we have looked, who sells IAFF stickers for $10 at the Broward Fire Academy in Davie Fl. When confronted he tells some story which is different every time. I have seen IAFF stuff on e-bay and have e-mailed them with no responce. I worked hard to be able to display my IAFF sticker and I get ****ED when I see some low life with one on his car.

J.R. L2928 Palm Beach County
    Firefighters/Paramedics

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: FM61 ]

If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information