Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Carbon Flash Hoods

I have been seeing the new carbon flash hoods advertised a good bit lately and I was thinking of getting one. Has anybody out here ever used one or does anybody have one now? I'm just curious if I should go ahead and get one of those or stick with my PBI.
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Carbon flash hoods? I always thought carbon was flammable!! Post a link so's we all can see these latest and greatest flash hoods.

PBI, Nomex, Carbon, Cotton... Whatever. If you're in a flashover you still are only going to have seconds to get the flock out before your ears become a memory. But every second counts, so if they've come out with something better than you currently have, go for it if you have the money to spend!

FB
    Fire service survival tips:
    1) Cook at 350...
    2) Pump at 150...
    3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
    4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

The black ones look pretty cool. I think they are carbon fiber like the SCBA fibers.

Yes, they are black approx 6 firefighters from my department including myself purchased one. I bought mine after seeing a demo on them. They took a controlled flame to nomex in no time puff it burnt through. Then, they took the PBI in about 20-30 seconds puff. Last, was the carbon after about a min they stopped and no evidence of damage nor was the interior hot. It was enough to convince me to buy one approx $30.

I have no direct experience using the carbon hoods, we use PBI, but based on what I've been able to find out they seem to be worth looking into -

The NEW KING COBRA™ CARBON HOOD is a unique blend of high temperature resistant Carbon and high strength aramid which can withstand temperatures in excess of 900C (1652F) for prolonged time frames and temperatures up to 1300C (2372F) for shorter periods. As compared to the Nomex which can only withstand temperatures up to 371C (700F) before it begins degrading rapidly.

UL Classified to meet the hood requirements of NFPA 1971 Standard on Protective Ensemble for Structural Firefighting, 2000 Edition. Compliant with CAL-OSHA Requirements. Passes Fed. Text 191 Method 5903.2; CAL-OSHA Sections 3406(d); and complies with OSHA Rule 18 CFR Part 1910, 269.

Non-Flammable - In extreme heat or flame, fabric glow but will not burn. Retains certain tenacity at temperatures exceeding 2600F for over 60 seconds.

Non-Melting - Absolutely melt-proof and will not become stiff. It remains soft to the touch after being exposed to fire.

Non-Shrinking - The CarbonShield™ is almost totally non-shrinkable when exposed to flame and heat for short period of time.

Deposits No Tar - When clothing melts or stiffens and decomposes in a fire, it deposit a by-product tar in the form of a liquid, which has a similar effect as melting in increasing the risk of burns. The CarbonShield™ blend deposits no tar.

Non-Heat Conductivity - PGI's CarbonShield™ blend has a low heat conductivity on the same level as wool

Comfortable - Fabric has an excellent moisture regain(approx. 8%) but because it wicks moisture away from the skin to the outer shell, it enables the moisture to evaporate at a rapid rate.

Lightweight/Excellent TPP - Weighs only 6.5 oz./sq. yd. which is over 20% lighter than most NFPA compliant hoods, yet has excellent Thermal Protection Performance (TPP) rating of 28.

Highest Limiting Oxygen Index (LOI) of all Flame Resistant Fabrics - Flame resistance is commonly measured by the LOI, the amount of oxygen needed in the atmosphere to support combustion. Fabric with an LOI greater than 25 are said to be flame resistant, meaning there must be at least 25% oxygen present for the fabric to burn. The higher the LOI, the more flame resistant the fabric. The CarbonShield™ fabric has an LOI which is 65 to 70% higher than Nomex and approximately 30% higher than PBI.

you can get them at www.chiefsupply.com and also from www.galls.com Chief Supply is a little cheaper though.
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Next question is, will they be able to keep your head warm? Up here in the(relatively) frigid north, we tend to use our hoods to keep our heads warm on MVAs during the winter, as well as keep our ears from getting burned.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Thread Information