Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Physical Limitations

Hey guys what do you think are some physical conditions that would prevent someone from getting hired on with a dept.? I have been a volunteer for two years now, and am currently in a paramedic class. I only have vision in one eye that is corrected to 20/20 with glasses. I am unsure of my vision with out the lens. I do currently hold a CDL class B (which I hold only after a medical eval. by the DMV and my eye Doc). Any thoughts?
    D. Hager
    Paramedic

A deaf individual from MD went to court and the court ruled that under the Americans with Disabilities Act the volunteer department had to allow them to be an EMT. I think they have to have someone with them to hear the radio and such but I don't know about BP's and such. I don't know about the deaf issue, but if you can see well enough to perform, I would emagine they would have to accomodate you. They do make masks for firefighters with inserts for lenses, and I am sure they could special order one too. The ADA says they have to provide reasonable accomodations, it's up to a judge whats reasonable.
    THE ABOVE REFLECTS MY OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY REFLECTS THOSE OF MY DEPARTMENT.

Thread Information