Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Thread: ATTN FD EXPERTS

nice job on that southbronx...my feelings exactly...the true heros are the dead ones...my favorite scene was a bunch of ffs that were leaving the site with totally clean turnout gear on and a reporter asked one of them how bad it was and she replied that it was the worst thing she d ever seen...meanwhile she NEVER got into the pit!...if you noticed when the interviews were done most weren t fdny members...i do have to say i was with a boston ff sept 12 and he was as far into the site as i was...we worked as a team until a chief kicked us out for being in too far...from vonessen making $$ on a book to pics being sold to the hats and shirts being sold that are made in china everyone is looking to make a dollar off of 3000 dead bodies...i shamed an american into closing up his illegal postcard selling on wall st...stories of reporters stealing fdny gear to get into the site and I know at least a few that were caught...how do they sleep at night?...to the many ffs that did indeed come to our aid and did their job without getting an interview or looking for sympathy I RESPECT YOU...to the posers...get out of this profession because you don t have the heart for it!...now its a tourist attraction with a ramp so the tourists can see an empty pit waiting 3 hours to go home and tell all their friends they were at "ground zero"...big deal...go see a play,the empire state bldg times square ...thats where you should be spending your time and $$...what are we fish?...is ground zero a fishtank?...let us recover the bodies in private and when they open it up as a memorial then and only then should you come and pay your respects...my only hope is that 100 years from now that this is still the worst attack ever to hit our country...anything worse would be nuclear!...god bless america
    fdnymac

Forum Member

Amen to that, Mac....

FDNYMac from Brook-a-lean...

Thanks for the message. Just so these people don't think we have a haad-on for outsiders, answer me this.(this question is purely hypothetical).

Say my company came from the Bronx over to the borough of small buildings for a job, (with the help of a map), and something went terribly wrong. One of your Brooklyn brothers was seriously injured or killed. You look up and see the guys from the Bronx posing for pictures with the fire building in the background or videotaping the scene. Or you catch them doing a stand-up with NY-1 or 1010 wins.

What is your next move? How does this make you feel? Keeping in mind that they are your brothers and are certainly affected by the evenings events. Also keeping in mind that the lost or injured members are not from their company, battalion, division or even the same borough.

Just a thought...I am almost positive that we would never do that. If one of us did, beatings would follow.

Any of the fdny brothers are eligible to play:
    E229lt
    40-35
    rescue2bob
    111truck
    and anyone else I missed

Curious to hear what the other locals think of how this situation would be handled in our job and whether or not it is a fair comparison. A better scenario would involve mutual aid, but we really don't have too much experience with that.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: southbronx ]

Forum Member

I cannot, for the life of me understand why a viewing area was erected at the WTC site. I am sure most of us in the fire service are sick of all the attention,money etc. paid to those who find it necessary to tell "MY GROUND ZERO STORY" off the backs of the firefighters who paid the ultimate price for doing their jobs. From what I've read in these Forums, the FDNY members truly appreciated the help, condolences and the support that most of us tried to provide one way or the other. There are many of us in the fire service who have looked up to FDNY as "Big Brothers" long before Sept. 11th. Our hearts still ache at the horror of the loss of so many Fathers,Husbands,Grandfathers,Brothers and Uncles.
    Say your prayers, not only for the departed and their families but for their friends and co-workers, who must continue to perform the everyday tasks of firefighters with the unimaginable sorrow that is all too real for them. Mac you were slightly wrong about one thing.You said the departed were the true heroes. ABSOLUTELY. But you and your fellow New York City Firefighters are also TRUE HEROES, for facing the unknown with such valor and for fighting hard for what is right.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

bronx.if that scenario ever did occur...which it wouldn t you re right it would be a mess...another thing that bothers me is the tourists taking pics and SMILING...now that is disgraceful...anyway the boro of small bldgs has some ****ty projects that we walk up the stairs too...ie:stuck elevator...chicago thanks for the kudos but im sure you ll agree with me on the fact that it took this for the public to realize that a true hero is not some overpaid baseball player or basketball player ...not superman...but indeed your local fireman and police...caio
    fdnymac

Forum Member

Mac I agree with you 100 percent.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

[quote]Originally posted by southbronx:
    FDNYMac from Brook-a-lean...

Just a thought...I am almost positive that we would never do that. If one of us did, beatings would follow.

Any of the fdny brothers are eligible to play:
    E229lt
    40-35
    rescue2bob
    111truck
    and anyone else I missed

Curious to hear what the other locals think of how this situation would be handled in our job and whether or not it is a fair comparison. A better scenario would involve mutual aid, but we really don't have too much experience with that.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: southbronx ]

I'm thinking it wouldn't be to pretty in Manhattan. They would be rather lucky to escape with their camera for one.

Knock on wood, or my own head, it will never happen here.
    Doc DC3<br />ex FDNY (E74)

MembersZone Subscriber

fdnymac,

as for the hypothetical,

We all huddle up and pose after a good job, now and then. We all speak to the media after a nice grab by one of our members and build him up. AND we all know when it's time to back off and leave all of this to the "HONOR COMPANY".

I have seen next to zero media interviews from any of our members at the site and the only ones I have seen by our members, were praising the acts of others and not themselves.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

[quote]Originally posted by southbronx:
    Brothers...
    ....However, in recent times a small and increasingly vocal minority has appeared. These people seem bent on turning the events at the WTC into their own personal platform. Either they want to tell the world of all the daring, heroic services they performed there, they want sympathy for all of the mental and physical damage they incurred from their heroic service or they want to travel the country selling their story in magazine articles and seminars in which they relate their own personal sacrifices as well as illuminating the glaring tactical errors made by the clearly inexperienced and outgunned FDNY...

In a job as big as ours, our members have contacts and friends in every corner of our country. It has been truly educational to hear some of the fables being spun throughout this great land. In these forums alone, I have seen several messages that contain the words "...I was there and..." or "... you wouldn't believe what I saw there...".

Remember this.... we were there when you were. We know what you really did. We have thousands of brothers who are still dealing with the unbelievable changes to all facets of their lives and the lives of their families. Not to mention the families of our dead brothers. While you are at home getting plaques and parades, doing interviews and working on your memoirs, we are still there.

Do we want your sympathy? No. Do we want you to respect our brothers, living and dead, who have not yet arisen from this nightmare? Absolutely. The next time you gather the boys together over a couple of cans to tell some spectacular war stories, think about what the real story is. Think about how good you actually feel making up horsesh#t stories about those first days, and the fact that my brothers that were actually doing what you claim to have done, are still in hell today........
    Say for argumants sake that every decision our officers made was wrong and that we really did screw this whole thing up. I am quite sure that there are several things that we would do differently tommorow and that several mistakes were made. But is now the time to discuss it? Have you listened to my brother that posts here from E40 and L35? His house has buried one man... out of ELEVEN! In NYC, we normally wait until after the job is over, before we start studying the operation. Forgive me, I overlooked the fact that the job IS over for you.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: southbronx ]

THANK YOU BROTHER I am sorry I chopped up your statement.

On 1/1/02 The BROTHERS found Michael D'Auria ENGINE 40. Tomorrow his Family and The CAVEMEN will lay him to rest. Mike was a 14-week probie. He was only a FIREMAN for 7 weeks (only did 13 shifts).

THIS IS REALITY
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

FDNYMac...

The one Brooklyn joke I knew and you didn't bite! We learned about the "borough of small buildings and tall tales" way back at the rock. Maybe its only funny in the Bronx. 51Truck where you at? We know you work over there.... I was just breakin horns a little.

The point of the hypothetical question(backed up by my brothers) was that there is a certain honor among firemen that is followed in every situation. A code, if you will, that places more value on your brother than on yourself.

Whether you are relieving a company on a line, taking YOUR assigned position when its not in the thick of things, stepping up for a fundraiser or working tours for a company thats jammed up, the brothers in this job ALWAYS think of the other man first. For the unintiated, it is called doing the right thing.

When a company loses someone, they are treated with the utmost honor and respect. NOBODY does anything to take away from them or to dishonor their members. 229 used the term "honor company" which designates the lost members company AND describes the esteem with which they are regarded in our job.

Many of you have commented on the warm reception and hospitality you have received here. That is yet another example of this attitude. Even though the brothers downtown are dying inside, they STILL do the right thing for visitors. When companies from other areas cover downtown houses for funerals, they go out of their way to accomodate us and make us feel welcome... when truthfully we wish it was the other way around.

Hopefully our job is not the only place that this takes place. But judging from the actions of some WTC responders, this concept is definately foreign in some places. Maybe on their next trip to NYC they can pay attention to the brothers here and learn how to act after a good job... especially one where someone was hurt.

To the brother from 40&35, I don't have the words. We are more proud of you every day for what you are going through and for handling it like the gentlemen you are. Your sacrifices honor us all. Finding the kid is good news... hopefully nine more will follow quickly.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: southbronx ]

Forum Member

Helmets off to all you FDNY Brothers. And God Bless the Brothers that have passed.
    What I don't get is, we all follow, in our own way, an Incident Command System. When the murders of 9/11 occured, how come all these "buffs/FDNY wanabes" self dispatched themselves into Manhattan. I've heard of a dept that makes 40 runs a year sent several guys out. They paraded themselves across the TV news with a few chunks of "WTC" concrete. Give me a break. I'm just disgusted with all these people.

Stay low, push in & be safe
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RTB

Stay low, keep pushing in, and stay safe.

To the FEMA brother from Florida...

You wanted to know who the "offending" FEMA wanna-be article author was? Sorry, but where I'm from we don't rat... even on scumbags.

On another note, though, there is an interesting photo story, on the front page of this website, on a house fire in Va. that you may want to check out... especially the narrative that accompanies the pictures. (hmmmmm....)

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: southbronx ]

Cool

To FDNY,

I'll smack the **** out of all those I find for you. If you want I'll even tie a ribbon on them and ship them to ya. I'm sorry guys. My love goes to you. I don't think any other department could have done such a job. God bless
    Feet Don't Fail Me Now!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Amen Brother!

Good thing you didn’t see our local news. We had a FF from one of the smaller local departments’ brag on how he went up to help FDNY and his job was to chalk the truck wheels.

God Bless…..yall are still in our prayers.
    DixieFire53, Deputy Fire Chief FF/EMT-P, Local 272

Why does the term "interior buddy" come to mind when you look at that picture of the two little fellers posing together?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Thread Information