Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Question Electric Warming Gloves under Fire Gloves??

I have found electric gloves that provide 110degrees of heat and socks that provide 95. Does anyone know if there would be restrictions on wearing these electric gloves under fire gloves or using the electric socks? (they run off 2AA batteries)

I don't know why there would be any problems with it, but I'm sure someone has a good reason not to do it. Seriously, your thoughts are welcome on this idea.

Only thing I could see as a problem is going on an explosive gas call (although I think a spark from the batteries and/or gloves would be unlikely). Other then that, would there be problems with using the electric gloves/socks?

SOMEONE SHOULD INVENT HAND AND FEET WARMING WEAR FOR FIREFIGHTERS!!

Exclamation

What's up with all the questions about cold weather firefighting??

I know you are relocating to Minessota from Kentucky - but you'd think that you were moving to the Arctic Circle....

Common sense, the proper precautions, and spare clothing to replace wet clothing will be your best bet to protect you from a cold injury.

I spent a summer (if you could call it that...) up in Alaska - working for an Industrial Fire Department on the North Slope. Aside from minor modifications to their equipment to allow it to funtion in the extreme temperatures that they face - firefighting was the same as it was in the lower 48 states.

Dry pump, heaters in the pump compartment, and glycol - in place of primer oil. Small stuff here and there....
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

FF McDonald I have a condition that causes blood vessels to be hypersensitive. The vessels in my fingers and toes can constrict in 40degree weather (although not often) causeing my fingers and toes to become paper white. After a several minutes the condition reverses and the vessels dilate and my hands/feet turn red and swell just a little bit - weird, I know. I am more likely to get frostbite then most people. Just trying to find ways to stay warm.

iEMTi -

hey now - Calm down. Wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers here.

Just saying that research of the topic will show you how to best protect you from the cold. I have read the other thread that you started - and alot of good information was passed along there.

I wouldn't reccommend the battery powered socks. It's not the voltage- its the amperage. Even a few milliamps in the wrong spot.. could be bad.

Have you ever thought that due to this condition- you might want to reconsider those relocation plans?
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Smile

Sorry dude, didn't mean to sound aggravated. It's just a frustrating thing to live with and I can't really change relocation plans right now. Maybe the future will provide an opportunity, but right now, I got to be in Minnesota. Anyway, sorry if I came across wrong.

Thread Information