Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Unhappy Pearl Harbor Day

Maybe it's just me but it seems that Pearl Harbor Day is being pushed aside this year in the aftermath of 9-11. While 9-11 is an event that will always be remembered and should always be I feel that anohter important date that is always remembered is pushed to the back burner. On both of these dates heros gave their lives to causes that they did not realize to enemies they might never know just because they are americans. I only hope that 9-11 will not be pushed back 60 years from now for some other event. I am not trying to take anything away from either event that has changed the face and attitude of america forever, but merely hope to have people remember the sacrifices that were made 60 years ago. Wondering if anyone else feels that Pearl Harbor has not gotten the creidt it deserves this year. I do not mean by the goverment because I know there are services all over, but more by the media and general public.
    the truth never hides for long

I think its getting the same amount of credit it gets every year.....none. And that's a damn shame. I bet if you ask any high school kid about Pearl Harbor s/he will tell you its a tourist attraction in Hawaii. In my opinion (I'm allowed to have one, the constitution or one of its ammendments says so), we're supposed to forget about US history that involved foreigners. We might offend someone if we do (doesn't matter if we're offending our own citizens). 9/11 won't be pushed aside because of another event. It will be swept under the carpet because someone will be offended, and we can't have that, they might decide to sue.

I'm not sure that the events of Dec. 7, 1941 were pushed aside or forgotten. I attended a memorial yesterday (12/7) for Pearl Harbor. There were survivors of the attack and wreath placing ceremonies. Although it was 60 years ago, it is still in many of our minds. The events of 9/11 only echoed the cowardice of the attack on Pearl Harbor that took place 60 years ago. I am a Navy veteran and began my fire service career in 1971. I've been to many ceremonies, memorials and such. Don't know about anyone else, but I'm an American and I won't forget!!!!!!!!!

RJE

Actually, this year coverage was a little ABOVE normal around here.

We had the usual "reunion" of survivors from the USS Oklahoma, but because it was the 60th, it got more local press coverage than last year.

And our local PBS station has run several Pearl Harbor documentaries, that I don't remember being on last year.

One of them was even new! It had references to events of the last year, including one to 9/11, so it had to have been made very recently.

Houston media did a good job of covering Pearl Harbor...There was more coverage than the last couple of years...of course it all led to 9-11 and I dont think this is shameful many of us in younger generations(I am 30) have not had to live through a country in crisis....Sure we had the assasination attempt on Reagan and the poor souls on the space shuttle but nothing even comes close to the destruction of a national monument(s), lives lost, and some freedoms distorted. I will give the Japaneese credit they had a motive...not sure about these terrorist...what a bunch of shi** heads

Thread Information