Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Post Anybody using a Pager, please help me!!

I am in the process of ordering new pagers for our Vol. Dept., and according to the Volunteers Forum, the Minitor III's have a bad reputation along with the Sceptars. The pager I wanted for our members is the Motorola Keynote, which was recommended as a cheaper, but better/more reliable pager to buy. It has recently stopped being produced, however, there are still new ones available. Anybody want to enlighten me on the type of pager they use, problems they had and especially the history on the Keynotes should anybody out there use them? Thanks.

Arrow

If you can find them by factory reconditioned Minitor II's, they are the best out there. If not a few local departments have the keynote and they have not had any problems yet.
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

We have keynotes and for the most part have not had any problem with them. My department got 12 Minitor III's within the last year to test out. As far as those went, the lowband ones sucked and no one had any problems (not yet at least) with the highband ones.

Before that, we had Minitor II's. They didn't give us any problems but we replaced them with the Keynotes because the Keynotes were newer, smaller, and had a recorder.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

We purchased 60 Minitor 3's. Minor problems.I can count them on one hand. Minitor 2s were the best in my book.
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

Forum Member

I seem to remember reading something in one of the forums that Motorola was going to stop producing the Minitor III voice pagers. It also said that some other company would be taking over the production of the Minitor III, but there were some quality issues. Does anyone remember this? Do you remember what forums it was in? I looked back 60 days in a couple of forums that I thought it was in. Any help would be apreciated.

greapr

as far as i know motorola is getting out of the voice pager business completely, they are not going to make any more pagers. from my own experience i would go with minitor II's. you can find them there are plenty out there even though they are discontinued. minitorIII's are not that bad but i like II's better more reliable. whatever you do stay away from usalert nova's, they suck, biggest pieces of $hit i have ever used
    just my 2 cents

[quote]Originally posted by postal79:
    as far as i know motorola is getting out of the voice pager business completely, they are not going to make any more pagers.

They also announced the other week that next year they are going to stop making one-way alphanumeric pagers.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

At my EMS Department We've been using reconditioned Keynotes from P&W Paging (or something like that)for 2 years now. They have vibrate and message recording and are around $100 we've had no problems so far and their customer service was excellent.
    Our fire department uses minitor 2's and 3's the 3's have been nothing but problems.

-Nick

Dont buy a Sceptar!!! My dept. bought about 25 new ones and have had a BUNCH of problems:

1: Batteries prematurely need to be replaced.
    2: The charge on the batteries dont last long enough.
    3: They dont fit in the charger correctly.
    4: The reception SUCKS. (Even with the dinky little antanna up)
    5: If you have two channels programmed in, you cant stop it from scanning.
    6: Not loud enough.
    7: Belt clip always falls off.
    8: Too big
    9: Cheap made.

These problems are not with just one pager that is abused. Other than these problems, they are great, (ha,ha). Hope this helps.

They also announced the other week that next year they are going to stop making one-way alphanumeric pagers.

Actually, it was more than just one-way pagers -- they're getting out of all conventional numeric and alpha-numeric pagers.

"Wireless technology giant Motorola Inc. (NYSE:MOT - news) seemed to drive the final nail into the coffin on Monday when it said it was discontinuing the distribution of its one-way and two-way pagers based on traditional paging technology, although it will continue to develop messaging devices for wireless telephone networks.

Motorola has an 80 percent to 85 percent share of the traditional pager market, according to SoundView Technology. It also licenses the technology to more than 20 companies"

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011209/tc/bizbeepers_dc_1.html

Motorola has made no official announcment that I know of on the Voice Pagers. However, they're website has been virtually scrubbed of references to the Minitor III (this is a search of their site: http://search.motorola.com/query.html?qt=Minitor ). This is Motorola's voice offerings according to their website: http://www.motorola.com/MIMS/MSPG/cgi-bin/prodcat.cgi?category=Voice

That adds up to one of two things in my mind:
    1) Major marketing blunder, or
    2) Marketing has been told they're dropping the Minitor line, and already scrubbed the site even before an official announcement is made.

Let's remember folks, Motorola is a company in deep trouble and they're far from out of the woods yet. They've lost billions upon billions of dollars in recent years, and I believe are up to 39,000 layoffs this year and sales down by 20%. Is it unrecoverable? Not at all, but there gonna have to focus on the core products that make the most money...and the entire police/fire service, especially the lower-profit analog systems, ain't where that's at.

Kind of shame, but reality.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Cool

Pagers

The Weyburn Fire Brigade was just ( 6 months) issued new Motorola Wordline pagers. They seem to work well and are both audio and have a digital display. the only complaint so far is that they may be too quiet. It is hard to head them in winter clothes.

Hope this helps
    Rob

We have had our Mintor II's for about 6 years now and I don't know of any problems. I have replaced the batery one time!! Believe me they take a beating!! Just a week ago one of our FF left his pager on the tailboard of our engine, it was found along the road the next day. The clip was broke off and the battery door was gone, we put a battery in and it sill worked!! They're the best in my opinion!!!

Be Safe!!!!

We have had our Mintor II's for about 6 years now and I don't know of any problems. I have replaced the batery one time!! Believe me they take a beating!! Just a week ago one of our FF left his pager on the tailboard of our engine, it was found along the road the next day. The clip was broke off and the battery door was gone, we put a battery in and it still worked!! They're the best in my opinion!!!

Be Safe!!!!

I agree, try to find minitor 2 or minitor2sv's they work well and have few problems, the keynotes are not bad but lack the ability to monitor...........minitor3's are not very good we had alot of problems with them

Never underestimate anything

Thread Information