Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Question Insentive programs

I am trying to get some ideas together to present to my department about insentive programs. If any one has a program in place, please tell me 1)how it is working,2) what people are awarded with 3)and how points are given. Thanks and stay safe!

Arrow

Need some more info. What type of department are you on? What are you going to give incentives for? This will make a difference in what will be able to be accomplished.

I am in a volunteer dept. and I want to get members to respond to more calls and more trainings.

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

now my dept(volunteer) doesn't have any incentives(but we have a awards dinner for the county fire program) but i've thought up of some. here are some Examples:
    #1 Rookie of the Year(the new guy who has put forth the most effort and trained a lot that year)
    #2 Best Save of the year(I know this award would be hard to give because every fire different but usually ATLEAST once a year we have one amazing rescue)
    #3 Best Attitude(a Firefighter or Officer that's displayed good morale and attitude toward the dept)
    #4 Then depending on your community we occassioanlly give awards to people who help us.
    Best Citizen Award(some of them like help with our fund raiser, or donate some supplies)
    #5 Then the TOP AWARD firefighter of the year.
    good Luck and keep safe,
    Maplewood F.D.

Forum Member

Many depts. (including my own) utilize an incentive program where you gain points for the alarms, training, etc. you attend. Your points
    can then be "cashed in" (no actual money changes hands)to get equipment you would like that you can use "on the job". This allows maximum return for your dept. on its' "investment" as your members must be active to gather points, then they will be active in order to use the equipment they got with those points.

While keeping a price cap in effect (or else you'll have guys ordering $2,000 lighbars), you can allow your members to get things they want such as Survivor lights, leather boots, small personal tools, rope bags, gear bags, etc.

This works well in "vollie" depts even if you have a limited budget. For example, to outfit 20 FF's with leather boots @ $200+ per pair would cost you a fortune but buying a pair or two every now & then when people "cash in" their points won't be too much of a financial burden.

Depending on your dept.'s size, level of activity, etc., you'll have to decide just how many points each category (alarms, trainings, administrative, etc.) will offer....if you only
    handle say 200 calls a year, you may have to make some categories such as training offer more points as it will take a long time to gather points just by responding to alarms.

Hope this helps you out. If you have any further questions, e-mail direct & I'll be happy to help you out. Stay Safe!!

My volunteer department just got rid of a LOSAP [length of service award program] many departments use it. it is based on points and u need to get a certain amount each year to qualify and after 20 years u can collect i think up to $500 a month, there is much more to the program but that is the main jist of the incentive part.

anyway the department did away with it so more funding can go to the departments for equipment and it got little resistance to keep it. i think only one department out of 14 wanted to keep the program.

the program was actually pretty good it SORT OF brought people to the station. some people were worried about getting thier points and other were not.

my opinion the program was MAYBE never nessesary.

but if you want more info email me ill send you what i can.

Thread Information