Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

Angry Fashlight question

Okay guys heres the deal i realize probably for christmas i'll be getting some cash. Now your gonna laugh at this next part. My Dept uses Maglights for firefighting. which is okay far as toughness but THEY HEAT UP BAD IN FIRES.(cause they're a metal flashlight.) There okay for like night car wrecks or something thats not that hot. but personally I think there dangerous.What i plan on getting is on thats mounts on the helmet and one that clips on the jacket.
    now it has to meet the following requirements.
    #1 it doesn't heat up in fires
    #2 TOUGH(i'm not as hard on them as some guys but they need to hold together)
    #3 Price(i'm not a cheapskate but i don't wanna drop a heck of lot of money on a flashlight)
    #4 Brightness(it has to be bright)
    #5 Size(i don't want a 8-cell hanging off the chest hook on my jacket)
    Do you guys have any suggestions?
    and if you've had good flashlights tell me about them and prices and where to get them
    Thanks

For the jacket light, you are hard to beat the survivor light. Probably around $100 bucks. Ive had one for years without any problem. As far as the helmet, try a $3 Garrity Life light. They don't stand up to heat very well, but the price is right.

For a helmet light, get the Underwater Kinetics 4AA light. Light and helmet clip are about $25. It's explosion proof, durable, and puts out a lot of light. I was on an aerial 30 feet over a hole in the roof of a house and it lit up the floor. I thought it was the floodlights on the aerial, until I noticed the beam moved with my head. Buy an extra bulb ($8). Sorry, can't remember where I bought it, but it was on the internet.

MFD

Thanks for the comments guys I've herd the flashlights called "Big Ed"(You usually see them in Firehouse Magazine) are pretty good and tough. Has anyone had these and do these hold up. are they pretty bright? and whats the price?
    Pelican is another one i've herd thats good. the thing i like about pelican(that i've seen) they are fairly good priced. I've herd guys say that there a turd and i've herd guys say that it's the best flashlights ever made.

i have used a pelican three "c" cell light(dont know the model) on a carabiner clipped to my jacket.ive had this particular light for going on eight years and its een some some pretty hot fires and its still going strong. i kepp one of the garrity lights on my helmet, and theyre hard to beat for the price.if u can find one, they make these new flame retardant bands that wont slip off ur helmet and last ten times as long as rubber!!

You can get the Underwater Kinetics 4AA from chiefs supply.It comes with a stainless steel helmet clip, and you can order an adjustable Nylon helmet clip for an extra $14.00.

the page with the light is below:
    http://www.chiefssupply.com/ukinetics.phtml
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I have used the pelican flash light that takes the 4 AA batt. and have loved it. I have had it melt and deform from the heat sent it back to pelican and they sent me a new one very fast. Nice beam good for smoke. I bought it out of galls for about 23$ dollars. I will Never go with anthing else.

MembersZone Subscriber asaffell's Avatar

Jacket light: Responder by Koehler, 4-c or rechargable batteries, 60K candlepower VERY bright, durable.... throw down $120. I feel it was worth it (Birthday present from in-laws).
    Bunker pants pocket: Pelican Stealth Lite, can be helmet mounted, bright, dependable.
    Saffell
    1 Corinthians 1:18
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

I ve got to go with Lewiston2Capt and , Detroit Fire Ive had both these lights there almost identical. I put loop velcro on mine and it sticks to my gear.
    J.B.WEIR
    Summerville Vol Fire Dept
    Pride In Service !

MFD

I never knew Pelican has a unconditonal lifetime warrenty. Thats good to know. Now what would be great is if anyone has or has used a "Big Ed" by Pelican these are Xenon bulbs so i'd think they be REAL BRIGHT .also I want a cell battery one(not rechargeable) because I'm a Volunteer and you guys know when you rush to the station and suit up you don't want to go over and grab your flashlight out of the charger. right now i went online at darley's website and for a Big Ed
    (its a 4-c cell)and UKE helmet light ???? (i haven't herd of them but they look pretty good) but for about 100 bucks without tax i didn't think that was that bad

I use the Pelican SuperSaberlite submersible. It takes 3 C batteries and has the Xenon laser spot beam bulb. So far, I am very happy with it. I've smacked it around a couple of times and it's held up. Replacement bulbs are around 11.00 bucks.

I've used a Pelican SuperSaberLite (3-C batt's)for the past 6 years with no problems. Not a lot of $$, submersible, takes a beating, no problems so far with being able to take heat. The Survivor is more money but is also a nice light.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

MembersZone Subscriber Medic162's Avatar

I have three suggestions for ya... 1. The Garrity light(at most Walmarts)is hard to beat for light duty general purpose lighting/ 2. All Pelican products are tremendous values for the retail cost. I've used about four different models of their lights over the years and have always been impressed/ 3. My current light is a SureFire C2 - this thing is like carrying the sun in a small tube!!! It's quite expensive so its real use is for medical/rescue calls(primarily night-time scene calls). I know several firefighters who carry them in on structure calls, but to me it would be an expensive loss, since it's not a dept. provided item. Just my opinion...
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

We use the Pelican lights at my dept and they serve our purpose really well. If anything goes wrong with them, we are aware of the replacement policy but have not had to use it though. It has been two years since we first started using them. Excellent light even under extreme conditions.

I have used the Pelican Super Sabre light and was not impressed with it. I am not very rough with it but after a few fires the lens assembly is all cruded up and it won't come clean. I now use the Responder 3C and I like it alot. It has more power than the pelican and its the same size. The pelican has 12,000 candle power whereas the responder has 50,000 candle power. Galls has both of them, 27.99 for the pelican and 29.99 for the responder.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Yet another opportunity for me to sing the praises of the Pelican light (and no I'm not a sales rep). I have used several models of Pelican lights over the years and have been pleased with all of them. The 3C Sabrelight is great for a bunker coat pocket and has a belt clip if you want to clip it to a pocket or waistband. The 4AA Stealthlight makes a great helmet light and has an available helmet mount. I have one on my helmet now. It also easily comes out of the helmet mount for handheld use. John326, I also had a light where the lens got crudded up due to exposure to a solvent. They replaced the the lens assembly for me free of charge, no questions asked (yet another thing I love about these lights). I also usually have a cheap Garrity light in a pocket somewhere...about 2 dollars at Walmart and no big deal if you lose or break it. Just one thought....do you respond to any Hazmat incidents? If so, you might want to consider whether the light is UL approved for use in explosive atmospheres. It should say so on the light if it is. I'm pretty sure the Garrity light wouldn't meet this criteria. I know they made us quit using the Maglites at work because of this. Just something to consider.

LISTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to get the responder from kohler. Be careful they sell 2 kinds and they look exactly the same. One is rechargable ($125.00). The other is not and runs on "C" batteries ($50.00). The "C" battery one is actualy brighter and will last about a year before you have to change batteries. And I'm in a fairly busy paid dept., so if you are a suburban voly dept. you can probably get two years out of your battery. So for the $75.00 price difference you can buy a lot of batteries and have a brighter light.

Now if you insist on geting a helmet light (which I hate) then bye a pellican with the money you saved from the kohler.

And one other thing the salesman will never tell you about the cheaper kohler so ask about it. And if you want to get a rechargable battery for it down the road you can. And it wont cost you any more than if you bought the rechargable one in the first place.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MFD

now here's the deciding question does Kohler flashlighters offer a unconditonal lifetime warrenty cause if i'm gonna put 100 bucks worth into flashlights i want something if it breaks i can take it back and they give me a new or or fix it. If not I'll probably go with Pelican just cause like Detroit F.D. said You can melt them send them in for a new and they send you a brand new one free . Sure the cheap-o Flashlights at Wal-Mart are 2-10 bucks but if i'm going into a fire i wanna know that thing will work so now it's between Kohler and Pelican

I have had a couple of the responders for over a year and have not had any problem with them. They are really bright and I use them all the time. I also like the durability of them, as my light has been dropped more than a few times. I would recommend getting that one. As for the helmet light, I do like the 3 dollar Garrity light.

Forum Member

I use a streamlight vulcan on a sling and I keep a small 4 double A Underwater Kinetics light in my bunk pants.

I have been carrying this style light for over 10 years now, either on a belt or on a sling, and I have been very satisfied.

I modified the Vulcan a bit.

When my bulb became damaged, I replaced the plastic reflector and bulb socket with an all glass sealed beam bulb from another light I had that bit the dust.

(A glass 6 volt sealed beam bulb will fit the Streamlight Vulcan bezel nicely, maintaining a water resistant, if not waterproof seal.)

This bulb works alot better.

I like a rechargable light with a lead acid battery. It stays on the charger at the firehouse when I'm off.

Streamlight recommends lead acid batteries stay on the charger as often as possible to "condition" the battery.

Lead acid batteries are like car batteries. They last longer, do not develop a "memory", and die slowly when using them for a long time, unlike a nicad battery that dies quickly.

I don't recommend the power plus light from Advanced Lighting.

In fact it is the one that FDNY uses.

I had one for a few years and I think it has several design flaws when compared with the Streamlight.

When it worked it was great, but it was not water tight, and the guts corroded and rusted, and that was that.

I have used alot of lights, and it depends on what you like, and how you want to carry it, but so far this Vulcan light has been a pretty good light to carry.

One of my "things" is a fireman trying to operate with a small, underpowered, cheap, handlight.

If you notice what all of our "big city" brothers are carrying, such as Chicago and New York it is usually a bigger, 6 volt lantern used either for diving or desigined for firefighting.

They see alot more fire than most of us, including me, so I trust alot of the things they use.

I have taught numerous search and rescue classes and been involved with alot of live burn classes, and I see guys coming in with "mini mag lights" as their primary flashlight to search with...

I think you can fill in the blanks here regarding that.

My personal opinion is your flashlight is one of your most vital and important pieces of equipment that you carry with you, so get a good, reliable and powerful handlight.

It may save your life.

PC

Thread Information