Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: workouts

Post workouts

i am an average shape firemedic who put on a few in medic school and want to really get back to peak condition. even better than before i started medic school. anyone have any good workouts so i can become the firefighter i desire to be. thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

What are you looking to do? Bulk up? Lose weight? Gain cardio strength? Tone up? That really determines what kind of workout you want.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Check out the "fitness" link of this site. Excellent stuff there. The FF Workout book is a good investment too.

Most firefighters want to do all three things that BucksEngine 78 stated...gain stength, lose fat (muscle weighs more than fat!) and increase cardio endurance. Mike Stefano's The Firefighter's Workout Book is an excellent reference, so is Bill Phillip's Body for Life.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Specifically review your goals and weaknesses. What do you have problems with? What can you improve on? How much time do you have?

For example, when I started doing extrication, I tried to "bulk up" - gain mass and power. In my case, I learned, it wasn't brute strength that was a problem, but muscular endurance. Picking up a 35-40lb tool was nothing...holding it for long periods was. So I retailored my routine with high reps and loweER (not low) weight - challenging my muscles to work harder, longer.

I'm a personal trainer - if you need more advice, let me know (bgfdfirechick@yahoo.com). I'd be glad to help you with a program. Good luck!

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: bgfdchick ]

We're all in this together. FDNY 9-11-01

Thread Information