Question What kind of gear do you have ?(helmets,bunkers,boots etc)

just wondering what kind of gear everyone out there uses makes models colors, reflective striping, rubber/leather boots, traditional/metro cairns,bullard,morning pride etc, helmets, gold/black gear, quaker morning pride etc
    9/11/01 forever in our hearts

Forum Member

My company tends to use a variety of gear. Mostly depends on who will give us the quality for the best price.
    Right now the bulk of our bunkers are Globe Nomex, but we are beginning to change over to Basofil. The new gear also has the triple stripe scotchlite striping.
    Helmets are a mixture of Bullard, Cairns, and Chieftain, there are probably some others that I may have missed.
    Boots are the standard Lacrosse rubber boots, although I use my own Black Diamond 10" Zip-ups.
    I am trying to convince the chief that we should go with the traditional style helmet, but so far no luck.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

We are using Janesville nomex turnout gear (I hate it)very heavy and bulky. Bullard salad bowls(only chiefs get traditionals?) All different kinds of rubber boots. Basically we get the cheapest stuff out there

after our merger with another dept ~3.5 years ago we switched all bunker gear to Globe, w/FDNY style reflective striping. Standard issue is rubber boots, cairns salad bowls (660's).

some of us have purchased Warrington Pro leather boots and a few have purchased Paul Conway American Heritage Leather helmets... but none are issued by the dept
    Shevais M. Shrum
    Western Wake Fire Rescue

Forum Member

Our turnout gear is issued by the Department and is made by Cairns. The ranks of Firefighter, Lieutenant and Captain wear black P84 (now called Basofil) with the FDNY style lime/silver/lime reflective striping. Chief Officers wear white turnouts.

The Department issues either the Bullard Traditional or Cairns 1010 "pleather" helmet in black. A lot of us have purchased out own leather helmets with our uniform allowances (mine is a Cairns N6A). Chief Officers wear white helmets.

The Department issues FireWalker boots, once again, many have gone to Warrington Pro leather boots.

Our hoods are either Nomex or P84.

We get $675 a year for uniform clothing allowance, we have the option of purchasing what we want (as long as it is approved) and turning in the receipts or going to an approved vendor and charging it to our clothing allowance account.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Assistant Chief

Exclamation

I'm on a small rural department in Southeast Wisconsin. All our department memebers get brand new Janesville Isodri PBI/Kevlar turnout gear with all the pockets and loops available. One cool feature on the pants are the replaceable knee pads. If you kneel in either contamonate or bloodborne pathogen or just plain wear out the knees they are just velcro'd in. These all come with the FDNY style lime/silver/lime triple reflective material. For helmets we all have the Bullard "Salad Bowl's " as you've all but it, each with a 4AA Streamlight. We all have Ranger or LaCrosse fireboots. Same deal as with alot of others, Chiefs have white helmets and turnouts. Everone else has the gold bunkers with a black helmet.
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

Some Guy

Morning Pride, tails and all; Cairns New Yorker; Warrington Pro leather boots.

Forum Member

We use Globe PBI I'm not exactly sure why we use Globe and not other brands, probably price. As for helmets and boots, as long as they are NFPA approved we can wear what ever we like!
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Globe Nomexs Bunkers, tan with yellow strips.
    Ranger rubber boots.
    Carins Metro Helmets.
    FF=yellow, Chief=white, Lt.or Capt.=red, , PFF=black.

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

we got Morning Pride Coats and Bunker Pants
    everyone but me has red gear but i got Tan .
    I got a hand me down.
    Our Helmets are Morning Prides all the Firefighters have Red LiteForce helmets
    Officers have White Big Ben 2 helmets(very nice helmet)(both officers and firefighters with shields)
    Rubbers we have La Crosse
    2 things i hate about our fire gear #1 our Maglights(there red to match the coat)hahahha
    but i'm getting a new pelican
    #2 I don't know maybe it's me but my gloves are real confortable but i think my dept gets cheap-o gloves the ones that say Firefigher on the top of them.

Jrs. at my dept. have:
    -Black Globe coat's and Bunkers w/green refective
    -Black Metros
    -And the Rubber ranger boots

Srs. have:
    -Gold PBI coats and bunkers w/orange refective
    -all have metros- (ff yellow)(officer red)(chief white)
    -And Leather rangers

More and More members are getting New Yorkers though.
    "Real Heros wear SCBA, Not Capes!"<br />

<a href="http://www.newhollandfire.net" target="_blank">www.newholland fire.net</a> **department website**

<a href="http://www.lancasterfire.com" target="_blank">www.lancasterf ire.com</a><br />**county website**

We use a variety of turn-outs (Globe, Janesville, Quaker), mostly from years of different people in charge of gear. The new gear officer (yours truly) is trying to standardize with Globe.

Our helmets are Cairns 660's, with some guys buying leather on their own. We're going to look at Ben 2 traditionals to start replacing the older 660's.
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

We've used yellow turnouts for years. Modern-style (read:no class) helmets have been issued since the mid-80's. Firefighters and driver-engineers wear black helmets, captains and inspectors-red, chiefs-white. Our current manufacturers are: Quest turnouts (pretty good. Zippered front coats,Gore-tex liners, triple-stripe Scotchlite), Bullard helmets (about the most useless items I've ever laid eyes on), Ranger boots.

Many, myself included, have gone to the traditional-style helmets, at our own expense. I've been using a Morning Pride Ben-2. We still use the goofy shields, per dept. order. The leather boots haven't really caught on along the Gulf Coast, but I expect that will change, soon.

MembersZone Subscriber
    The southern shore of beautiful Lake Michigan

Black Morning Pride w/green-silver-green stripe
    (Hold the suspenders, for me anyway...I don't like em')
    Warrington Pro leather boots
    Cairns N5A New Yorker LEATHER helmet(no stickers!)
    (you can have my leather helmet when you pry it from my lifeless fingers)

The dept. issues:
    Tan Morning Pride w/green-silver-green
    Warrington Pro leather boots
    M.P. Ben II "plus" helmets

We can wear pretty much what we want.... as long as we wear bunker pants, no more 3/4 boots.
    FTM-PTB
    trk4

helmet- cairns N5A, black
    boots- ranger 10" zip ups
    gear- quest, yellow with orange strip and lettering
    (the quest is our newer gear, before that we had globe) just a note the helmet and boots are mine, our dept. issues a variety of plastic yellow helmets and firewalker bunker boots
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Moring Pride tails coat and pant black Kevlar/nomex outer shell 7 0z

suspenders quick adjust 8 point.

crossteck /nomex face cloth moisture barrier
    lime and white reflexite powertrim
    Split cuff trim
    chicago closure velcro hooks and dees

Ranger 14 inch leather boots

elk skin gloves by glove corp.

p84 MP HOODS

BLACK HELMETS MIXED BAG OF BULLARD, CHIETIAN and MORNING PRIDE.

ESS STRIKEFORCE GOGGLES

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: ff emt-p bleve ]

Forum Member

if a department was a melting pot for fire gear, that department would be mine. they tend to go with what ever is cheap, yet safe at the time, and love to keep everything that people out grow, or turn in. our department finally decided to come together and say "hey lets get our act together", so now we have standardized what we are ordering from here on out.
    Our new standard is:
    - Cairns 10-10 helmet with faceshield (goggles if you pay the exta)
    - Globe GX-7 coat FDNY style triple trim with boston fire dept style insignia on back w/bellow pockets (radio pockets, rope pack, glove straps and light straps added at your cost)
    - Globe GX series pants with triple trim (harness system, padded knees, and pockets added at your cost)
    - Fireman VIII gloves
    - Boots still are variable

We still don't issue hoods, and we allow everyone that wants to use their own gear, as long as it meets specs.

We still have salad bowl helmets, rubber coats, 3/4 boots, and old x-tra long coats still kicking around, but I don't believe anyone that does interior attacks have them.

our new gear is being phased into service, so many sets a year, over a five year period, then everyone will wear the assigned gear, with exceptions on the helmets and boots, to my knowledge. I sure the hell am not willing to give up my new yorker leather for a 10-10.

Ladies and Gentlemen....stay safe
    Loo
    Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
    Protective Services Officer

Turnout gear: Globe GX-7, Millenia outer fabric, Caldura thermal liner, Crosstech vapor barrier

Boots: Warrington Pro 14" leather pull on

Helmet: Currently making a decision, it will be a traditional style with goggles (Cairns, MorningPride or Bullard)

Thread Information