Question What Are Santa Runs?

?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Thumbs up

Someone dresses up as Santa and they sit on a fire engine/truck and drive around the neighborhoods with candy (some areas it's toys) for the kids.....It's popular on Long Island (my dept. doesn't do it though).

yes thats what a santa run is in my area, so everyone in the northeast be prepared on the week of december 22nd because thats when we are going this year and no matter what the weather has been like its always freezing when we go so be ready
    9/11/01 forever in our hearts

Our dept goes around with 2 engines to (almost) every hydrant in town and the big guy gives out candy canes and last year we had little toys (dun know if we have them this year), but ours is usually the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in December (this year its this saturday (12/15)). It's always a lot of fun for kids of all ages/religions, etc.

Cool

My company has a Santa detail each year. We start two weeks out and drive through a different neighborhood each night usually with one engine, sometimes two. We don't give anything out, but everyone enjoys the lights and sirens and seeing Santa. It is really interesting when we get a call and Santa has to climb down without busting his tail and then get undressed and ready for the call in the pumper. Take care and be safe.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Philip C ]

Phil Clinard
    Laurel VFD
    Prince George's Co Sta 10
    Laurel, MD
    www.laurelvfd.org

Forum Member

At my department Mom and Dad drop off a gift addressed to their children and a small donation $$$. This Sat night we take Santa around on the truck to the houses that have sent us gifts and Santa delivers them. We have a person that is a friend of the department and is a professional Santa. Natural beard, glasses and the jolly belley to match. We spend about 3 mins per house for pictures.

We are doing our santa run this Sat. We take 3 trucks around our town and give out candy kanes to everyone.

We started doing it last year and wwwwwwwill be doing it again next weekend. We have Santa with a headset set on PA going around saying Ho Ho Ho! we got a lot of positive feedback from residents.

The Santa detail is among the most fun things you can do for the kids. And if you enjoy the Christmas/holiday season, it's a ton of fun anyway.

We used to get a neighboring Truck co. to cover our district. Then we'd deck out our Mack Aerialscope with christmas lights, a stereo tape deck with big house speakers strapped on blasting christmas tunes, 8 fake reindeer strung together like and actual team along the boom, and Santa would stand up in the bucket with all the spots aimed at him. We'd all wear Santa hats and act as the "elves" and "helpers". Crank up the Q, the horns, tossing out candy canes as we'd idle along,etc. Geeez, that was so cool!

To see the kids chasing after us and having a blast, what fun. We'd stop at preplanned homes to give out gifts and candy. When we'd stop and Santa would climb down, half the nighborhood would be clambering around, Santa would shake hands and hug the children, etc.

Anyway, that made my season every year.

Hey, doesn't everybody do this at Christmas?
    09-11-01:Never Forget

Forum Member

That's what I was wonderin'. Live and learn. I thought this was done all over the country.

Thumbs up

We start our Santa Runs next week - we go from Monday to Thursday. We take candy canes to all the kids..take their gift lists from them and the cookies they bake us...we take gifts to certain homes - we have two developmentally disabled residential homes in our area. The Santa Run is one of my favorite activities all year! The kids love it, the parents love it, and we ALWAYS have a blast doing it. If you department does not currently do this you should look into doing it....the response we get from our community is wonderful and it shows them that we are not all about fighting fires, and asking for donations...we also do things just because we want to make the kids holiday season a little bit brighter.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: hctrouble25 ]

Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Cool

In the combination department I volunteer for we do our Santa runs the first three weekends in December so that we can make it to pretty much all parts of the city. We put our Brush Truck out as lead and keep him up a little ways so that people have a little warning we're coming down the street, and then we have "Santa's Sleigh" with Santa in the hosebed of the engine. We follow up with the department's pickup and collect canned goods to be donated. We have a pretty good working relationship with the grocery store across the street so we can usually get a discount, if not get the candy Santa hands out donated. This was the first year I did it, but I had a blast and you wouldn't believe how great a response you see from the public.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: devaneff ]

Forum Member

Smile

We do our "Santa Run" every Christmas Eve at dusk. We doll up the engine and the squirt with strings of Christmas lights, setup lighting for Santa, then strap our guy in a Santa suit to the ladder turntable on the squirt. We usually spend about an hour and a half running around town, making lots of noise, and giving all the kids a thrill when Santa waves and (if the "voice", usually me, knows it) says "hi" to them by name.

It's fantastic public relations and, except for the poor guy on top of the truck when it's really cold out, it's relatively cheap and painless for everybody.

my dept has done a tour for several years now and every year it grows a little bit! last year we added a toys for tots collection (we recieved several hundred toys) and this year we added a website.
    if anyone wants to check it out here the address

www.gtfdsantatour.com/

it gives a brief discription of our tour and might help anyone w/ ideas for their's
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Wink

Where i come from a santa run is the day after christmas, when we would get the s---- from eating to much christmas ham.

WIPE WELL.

p.s. all in fun.

The toys for kids is a great program, keep up the good work

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: ff emt-p bleve ]

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: ff emt-p bleve ]

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

santa run what santa does when he sees cookies

Smile

In my Town we call it 'Operation Santa' ~ On Christmas Eve. at about 5pm we suit up 4 Santas and assign crews to all 4 pieces of equipment and send them out in sections of town....Our town isn't real big {2.1 Square Miles} So we're done pretty Quick...But Santa has alot of stops to make along his tour....The kids in town love it as do the parents and our members have a great time doing it. the only down fall is if we get a run...We'll usualy send one piece but if it's work all 4 go...All 4 Santas drop the beard for SCBA. Hasn't happened since I've been around {5 Years } and our call volume around the holidays is down anyway but we're always ready to roll even while handing out candy canes !!!
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Forum Member

Our Santa runs start this week, We drive around the city, Area residents come out to see Santa on a fire engine they get candy,

We have pictures of last year's tour on the City of Monrovia website
    ci.monrovia.ca.us

Our local K-Mart sends someone to dress up asd santa and ride on top of the truck in fact its weird I am reading this right now because the dept is soing theirs today and it is in my neighborhood right now in fact they just passsed. I think they got a girl dressed up as santa this year.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Cool

every year my company {cscvfc 19} take the whole station out and about {except paid of course}. we take the chief truck, brush, engine, tanker, and ambo. santa sits on the engine for 3 hrs. as we hit our 1st and 2nd due boxes. this year was special for me because i rode officer in the engine like last year, but last year i didnt work the siren and horn the driver did. this year i was playing jingle bells on the air horn and working the siren while the chief is riding in front of the engine {lol}. we usualy leave around 9:00 am and end at 12 noon. then we have a open house.

Thread Information