Thread: Survivair SCBA

Question Survivair SCBA

Our department is in the process of trying to get new SCBA's. We are running into problems because Survivair is coming in extremely low in the bidding. We need to be able to justify to the city the cost difference for what we want to purchase. If you know of any problems with the Panther SCBA or can get me in touch with someone who has knowledge, please let me know. We have already started compiling data about failures in a couple of cities. The more information we get the better our presentation will be.

Thanks for you help.
    JB
    Ohio
    cffd13@aol.com

My department uses the Survivair Panther SCBA and haven't had any problems. With the carbon bottles they are very light and confortable. The mask has a good field of vision. All in all, I like them.

I don't think you will find to many problems. Look at why the others are better, what they have or do to make them more expensive. Surviair makes a nice scba,not my first choice but that is my opinio. Also, look at other departments in your area. If you run mutual aid often, having the same or similar equipment is nice.Just curious, but what scba would you like to get. Good luck.

Let's be safe out there.

Thumbs down

All I can say is you get what you pay for! Think about why they are the cheapest. My Dept has the Panthers now, and I am not very impressed.

This is my opinion and not the opinion of my department which also buys price not quality.

God bless America and those who protect it.

Thumbs down

Test them against MSA & Scott in a training fire. Be sure you get a good warm one and see how well the lenses hold up. The college where I teach uses the same ones (LOW BID!!!). Almost all of the instructors check-out loaner Scotts from their departments. You get what you pay for.

Forum Member

One of my departments use Survivair, one uses Scott. I personally like the Panther. I cannot get a real good seal with the Scott. I prefer the Panther. Haven't had any problems.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Survivair panthers is what we use. Havent had any problems with them. One of the oldest manufacturers of SCBA out there. They redesigned some things to cut cost. The bottle isnt held with a metal band anymore. In fact I dont remember seeing much metal on them at all. New strap buckle designs, integrated pass.

We were about to order Survivair and then at the last minute took a look at Interspiro. Better quality of components, almost as much visibility (better than Scott and MSA but not quite as much as Survivair). Cost was just a tad bit more when you really factor in extra bottles and the like.

We talked to a couple departments in the area who had Survivair and the opinion was mixed at best. Those using Interspiro all loved them.

We're still awaiting delivery so I can't give you a first hand account.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Loren

Question

What about "Drager"?

my department has about 10 of the survivair panthers, and 6 of the new Isi magnums and I think the panthers are better. (thats why we only have 6 of the others) I thought scott and survivair were the only two scba!

Thread Information