Thread: radio holsters

Question radio holsters

is there any special name for the radio holsters with the strap thats goes over the shoulder and has a place where u can clip the mic? I know that fdny uses them and a lot of companys around me use them to. also any good places where u can
    purchase them?

It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

This guy Paul Milkovich does real good work. he's on ebay alot, go to ebay an search under leather radio straps in the firefighting section. He also makes real nice leather fronts.

you could just make a strap out of an old litebox or lifepack strap. they have snap links on both endsand work just as good.as for the pouch, alittle scrounging around the firehouse or hitting up your departments pack rat(everybodys got one) may turn up a holster with the rings on it. i had a homemade one and it worked fine until somebody gave me a leather one. personally, i hate chest mounted radio pockets and have found the straps much more functional

I am partial to an old seat belt sewn into the configuration that is right for me I perfer to have the buckle in the middle of my chest, if it gets hung up on something hit the buckle and off she comes. I also use this one for my flash light. I like the belts from really old cars there huge. I had a Cadilac one once and that baby was sweet it had a HUGE logo on the release button. Try it out you may like it.....and the price is right.
    Go raibh maith agat Go gcuire Dia an t-ádh ort! Dyfal donc a dyrr y garreg!!!!!

IN MEMORY OF THE "MOOSE" 1974-2002<br />Ni bheidh mo leitheid ar'ris ann.

Brothers till the end. "If they don't have GUINNESS in heaven we aint goin!"

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

If you're looking for the FDNY-type radio strap and case contact: www.radiotech.com. They are the original manufacturers of the FDNY handie-talkie strap and holsters. They have been our suppliers for years. They can make a case specific to your type of handie-talkie.

GB

Ive been thinking of getting one..can i get some pros and cons on them?

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi John,

I can't see any cons with the handie-talkie straps. They make carrying the handie-talkie much easier than in your turnout coat pocket. The sales pitch its pretty much dead on. "Protects your radio from heat and water damage, reversable wear for left handed or right handed use, made from durable leather and strong hardware".

I guess the only one con is if you get one that doesn't fit your type of radio. I mentioned that www.radiotech.com is the original supplier, they request you specify your type of radio when ordering a holster to ensure that it will fit.

GB

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Well one of the cons is if you are on a medical or somewhere you have to bend over, they are a pain. I have seen and heard of f/fs "Bonking" their patients in the head with them. They are great when you are standing around not doing anything.

Just my opinion !!

Thumbs up

I use one that I got from thefirestore.com . Being down here in Texas you dont see them used much but I love it. The guys here call it my radio purse.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I also use one purchased from firestore.com.

Pros:
    1) Keeps your radio mic close to your head so you can hear it.

2)No more stretched out shirt collars from the constant pull of the mic cord.

3)Radio, mic and strap are all one unit making it easier to take the radio off.

Cons:
    1)It does swing around and get in the way during pt. care but it's easy to take off (see #3 above.)

Overall I've been very happy with it.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

How are they when wearing an SCBA doing initial attack on fires? Do they tend to get in the way or do they stay out of the way? I've been thinking about getting one but wasn't sure how I would like it when crawling through the front door trying to maneuver a handline.

Thanks in advance for all replys......

MembersZone Subscriber

They work great under your coat. Pull the mic out and let it hang out just an inch or so right at your collar, no problems. The radio will hang just under the bottom of your coat so you can reach down and change channels, volume, etc..

What worked for me to keep radio from swinging out
    while bending over was a slice of truck tire
    inner-tube cut like a rubber band looped through
    bunker pants waist strap or belt and slide the radio through it, it works nice to keep radio
    in place close to body..

STAY LOW-STAY SAFE

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

I kinda of gotta agree with Unionpride. if any of you guys are EMTs you'll know what i'm talking bout. The greatest thing (and pretty cheap) to use as holsters are the body board "seatbelts")these are good for Flashlights(like a large flashlight like a Litebox,a radio)nice thing about that is if you gotta get it off fast it's pretty simple and quick.

Thread Information