Post Spirit of Louisiana

Does anyone have any details other than the ones on the ferrara site concerning the engine Ferrara is building for FDNY ?

Yes the truck in complete and has already began its journey to New York. They are supposed to deliver it on Thursday December 20, 2001.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

What I have not been able to find out yet is, what engine company will the new rig be assigned to? Nobody seems to know yet. If anyone can clue me in, give me a shout....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Im sorry I gave you some wrong info the truck is not quite on its way yet but the owner of the New Orleans and Gov.Mike Foster wil officially send it on its way after the Saints game adn it will makei it there in time for Christmas.sorry for the wrong info the local paper must have had the wrong info. And Dwayne/PF-10, I dont know what company the rig will be assigned to, sorry, but if I hear I will be sure to let you know.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

They just showed the truck on Monday Night Football.

Great Job!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

OK, just saw it on the news and they have the numbers on. Looks like it's going to be Engine 283. It left Louisiana this morning and will make a stop at the White House before going on to NY.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

As one of those 'nawtherners who enjoys spending as much time possible in Louisiana, I was thrilled to no end about the fire engine going to NYC. WAY TO GEAUX!...LSU vs.U of I in the Sugar Bowl..What more can I say?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

It is numbered as Engine 283. While on its way to New York City it was housed overnight at College Park VFD (PG County Station 12).
    The above is my opinion only, it doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, am a member of, or deal with. Also, I do not intend to bash anyone, I'm just stating what I do, and have seen. If anyone is offended I apologize.

Forum Member

Interesting to see all the publicity this one truck is getting. The people of Akron, Ohio took a collection and also bought an engine, along with some squads and police cars for the City of New York and I have not seen ANY national press on it.

Not to splash water on all of this, but who is benefiting from these donated pieces of equipment? The City of New York or their insurance carriers????

MembersZone Subscriber

Medic if NYC is like New Orleans they are self insured and if so then the people of the city benefit from it amd the FDNY benefits the most.

Wheter its the city are some ins. co. who cares we decided to help out NY this way and enough money wwas raised to build a second appartus.

This all came about from a radio show caller whose name I can't recall. He asked why couldn't we donate a rig to the FDNY from Louisiana, built in La.,paid for by La.residents and the rest is history.

Also it takes about 6 months to build the avarage fire truck and Ferrara built it to FDNY specs(bullet proof glass for one) in a little more than 60 days I think. It was delivered yesterday to FDNY Engine Co. #283 and looked like it was going to be placed in service soon.

So I'll toot our own horn here and say good job to the great people of Louisiana who opened their hearts and wallets to show their support and help for our fellow countrymen and firefighters in their time of need.

Medal Medic, Are your comments fair? Sounds like "Sour Grapes" to me. It seems that LA did a better publicity job to me.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

I'm the A/Chief of a rural VFD @ 20 miles from the Ferrara factory where the truck was built. I'm personally pleased to hear the words of encouragement about the Spirit of Louisiana. Just about EVERYONE in La supplied $ for this cause. I'm also a retired Marine who teaches High School JROTC and can tell you the teenagers really came through for this cause. They really made me proud. My school ran a contest between the classes that the class that contributted the most $ will get a field trip to Ferrara to view the factory and "The Spirit." This school runs 9-12th grade with a student population of @ 1100. These kids raised over $5,000.00. That's almost $5.00/student. Try getting $5.00 from a teenager but beware of the look you'll get...it could be damaging to your health. Don't know about anyone in the state actively pursuing PR for this, but I can tell you it has been the hot topic for a while. Just yesterday Governor Foster said we had raised over $750K. The Ferrara unit cost $500K so we (Louisiana) is going to purchase equipment and another (probably command) unit for FDNY.

Thread Information