Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

Post FDNY Helmet fronts

When I look at the pictures of FDNY brothers, how can I tell the rank of each individual ? With the exception of Chief Officers, all the helmets are black.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Forum Member

Jeff Dodson,

All members, except for chiefs, wear black helmets. You have to look at the front piece (i.e. helmet shield):

Firefighters wear a black front piece with a color coded insert to denote company type.
    Black with white numbers = Engine
    Red with white numbers = Truck (ladder)
    Blue with white numbers = Rescue
    Yellow with white numbers = Squad
    Green with white numbers = Marine (fireboat)

Special Units = Black with white lettering (such as "Chief's Aide - 1st Battalion)

Lieutenants and Captains wear a white front piece and their company numbers are color coded as above.

Hope that helps. There is one other helmet color. Members of the Fire Patrol wear red helmets with a tan insert (patrolman) or tan numbers (officer).

Regards,
    Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

Forum Member

The rank is denoted on their shield.

The firefighters will have a black shield with either a red, black, blue, or yellow insert.

A red shield indicates the member is on a ladder company, black insert means an engine company, blue insert is a rescue company, and a yellow which is a squad company. They also have green inserts for the 3 marine companies. On the colored insert will be a white number which denotes their company and small 1" numbers underneath the insert which is their bagde #. So a member with a black shield with a blue insert with the # 5 is on Rescue Company 5.

The officers are just a little different but follow the same concept. Usually a lieutenant will have a white shield with a white insert and either a red, black, blue, or yellow number on the shield. The colors again denoting the type of compnay and which company he is on. Underneath the insert will be his rank spelled out - Lieutenant with a background of the company color. He could also have the same color scheme and number scheme but with no insert. The only thing different with the captain is at the bottom, Captain will be spelled out.

It is a very easy and efficient way to identify people on the fireground. It is good for accountability also.
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry
    Captain, Rescue Company 1
    City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

Wink

they also say below the patch on the helment " Lt. or Capt. "

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Jeff,

If you contact Morning Pride (Total Fire Group) they can send you a catalog with all of the fronts. It shows the various options available and explains who gets what. I got the catalog with the arrival of my Ben 2 Plus helmet. The other brothers did a good job explaining it, but I personally like to see pictures.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

also with the officers frontpiece,on the very top where the frontpiece becomes peaked you may notice that an engine LT. will have a single bugle and an engine CAPT. will have two bugles.and a kadder co LT will have one axe,and a ladder CAPT.will have two axes

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: mike m ]

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

also with the officers frontpiece,on the very top where the frontpiece becomes peaked you may notice that an engine LT. will have a single bugle and an engine CAPT. will have two bugles.and a kadder co LT will have one axe,and a ladder CAPT.will have two axes. mike m

Thread Information