Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post U2 Concert: Bono and 9/11..

Bono/U2 were in town (St. Louis) at the end of November for one of the last stops on their current concert tour. Now, I totally love U2's music and everything, but have had a problem in the past with Bono and his Big Mouth. He seems to spend way too much of his time running around the globe, blaming the United States for all world hunger, all world poverty, etc., etc., etc. This time, we were "fortunate" to have a travelling troupe from Amnesty International passing out propoganda and BS next to the concession stand for the $40 U2 T-Shirts. But, whatever.

Anyway, Bono/U2 did something really incredible at the end of the concert. They projected on a huge screen, while playing some KEWL songs, the names of the passengers and crew of all four flights that crashed on 9/11. Big applause for the heroes on United Flight 93. Then, it was NYPD's turn. All 33 fallen officers' names slowly scrolled on the screen, alphabetically. Big Applause.

Then, the letters FDNY appeared on the screen....
    and 15,000 kids, who were already on their feet cheering, went wild with!!! Sheer Bedlam!!! I have never heard such a huge noise that had so much meaning. Everyone was in tears, and of course, it took, and rightly so, forever to list all of the names of the fallen firefighters. It was such an surreal moment, because you knew that with every name, there was a mother, father, wife, child, who was grieving.

Some of the names I recognized..either from this forum, from the NY Times articles, or FOXNews, etc. But what REALLY got to me were the instances where there were two, perhaps three firefighters listed with the same last name. Were they brothers??? Father and Son???

So if any of you guys happen to bump into Bono over the holidays, you might wanna thank him for doing his part in making sure that those 15,000 people in St. Louis NEVER FORGET what happened on 9/11.

Wishing Everybody The Happiest of Holidays!!!

Rob Riley, St. Louis

I think bono is a waste of skin, he could use his own fortune to pay off some of these third world debts.

But this was pretty cool.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Forum Member

Bono serves an important purpose Mongo. The date I took to the U2 concert here was mush that night thanks to him.

Rob the Angelinis were father/son. Dad was with R1 and son was mentioned as well in the R1 documentary 48 Hours just did.

Thumbs up

(oop's computer seizure, again!)

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

Thumbs up

Grit got laid!

May God bless all the people and families who have lost
    their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
    toneloc177@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

Naw, I got paged to my volunteer house and dropped her off on the way. You know how we are.

OK, this topic is about bono, not hooples, whackers or whatever you call them in your neck of the woods

Forum Member

Whackers up here...

And Bono is a waste of a good voice box. If the pr*ck would shut his mouth for about three minutes and break out the check book, he could feed Africa for a decade.

But, just like our own lovable limousine liberals, even our international libs don't want to actually DO anything themselves - they want to browbeat YOU into doing it.

And this was a really nice gesture, but think about it - how many good words did Bono and the boys have about firemen and cops before September 11? If you ask me (and you probably shouldn't, because I'm a cynic when it comes to these lefties), it was a pretty crass attempt to capitalize on an American audience's feelings.

So, I imagine you can guess I haven't changed my mind about Bono...
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

i got mixed emmotions about Bono.I think it's honorable that he's donating money to 3rd world countries then again if you look up a ticket for his concerts your talking 200 bucks. for 200 bucks a head and sold out area he should be able to take the entire africa population to old country buffet.

Hey J Black-
    You aren't the same J Black in the band "Cloning Einstein" doing a U2 cover are you? Just checking.
    If you are the same guy, you've got some pretty
    strong opinions for a young musician.

There is a difference between a leftist and a guy that is a humanitarian. He's actually a guy that grew up in the **** holes of Dublin in a working class family. I'd imagine his opinion of firefighters should not even be questioned.

Just waiting for your reply, kid.

IACOJ Agitator

[quote]Originally posted by Grit:
    Naw, I got paged to my volunteer house and dropped her off on the way. You know how we are.

WHAT?!?!?!? If I was down in MD I would smack you!!! It better have been a DAMN GOOD call (or at least a REALLY BAD date)...I think ToneLoc would agree
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Neither.

You can tell I'm bulls**ting when my mouth is moving or my fingers are typing.

Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by geiss:
    Hey J Black-
    You aren't the same J Black in the band "Cloning Einstein" doing a U2 cover are you? Just checking.
    If you are the same guy, you've got some pretty
    strong opinions for a young musician.

YES I AM!!! Finally, fame has found me!! I,m the guitarist in that band. How did you hear about us? The Officer Daniel Faulkner Educational Grant Fund concert that we organized? The money we donate to charity? What?

So, anyway, your "checking" was right on the money. I am the same guy. And thank you for acknowledging that I have 'strong opinions' - tells me I'm doing something right.

There is a difference between a leftist and a guy that is a humanitarian. He's actually a guy that grew up in the **** holes of Dublin in a working class family. I'd imagine his opinion of firefighters should not even be questioned.

You might imagine a lot of things, geiss. You can imagine that the moon is made of cheese, for example. That don't make it so, son. Bono has done little else in his political posturing but play the game that all self-righteous leftists play - do as I say, not as I do. He's always there for the cause of the moment. Tell me, brother, when was the last time you heard Bono worried about cops and firemen? Please quote for me the last political statement Bono made in support of emergency service workers. Please show me how much he's donated, in time and money, to causes near and dear to cops and firefighters? Don't strain yourself - you won't find it.

And now, he wants to play the names of fallen firefighters at a concert in America? Please. Donate the money from that concert to the Widow's and Children's Fund if you want to impress me, big man.

Just waiting for your reply, kid.

Just giving it, son.

Oh, and just so you understand - it's OK to think somebody's a flaming idiot when it comes to politics, and still admire them as a brilliant musician. Sting comes to mind, for example. Is that easy enough for you to understand?
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

. . . that's like those bumper stickers that say;

" a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work "

Hey, i've had to 'step it up' when gettin some after the tones went off. After they did, so did I. HA!

(mongo, is your reply in error. wasn't it another thread about whackers, etc.???)

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

BucksEng91

And Bono is a waste of a good voice box.

AMEN!!!

And you know he says it wrong too. Here in Texas his name is pronounced bo no.

And while we're at it, what kinda name is "the edge" anyway?

...they want to browbeat YOU into doing it.

There you go!

Maplewood F.D.

I think it's honorable that he's donating money to 3rd world countries

He's donating his money to fly around and tell you you should donate yours and forgive somebody elses debts.

then again if you look up a ticket for his concerts your talking 200 bucks.

I saw KISS, ELO, Nugent, BOC and a buch of others in the 70's for a whopping $9.00 a ticket!

geiss

He's actually a guy that grew up in the **** holes of Dublin in a working class family.

And that means what?

BucksEng91

YES I AM!!! Finally, fame has found me!! I,m the guitarist in that band.

BEST of LUCK BUCKS!

The Officer Daniel Faulkner Educational Grant Fund concert that we organized?

Caught wind of this today, is mumia getting a new trial?

Donate the money from that concert to the Widow's and Children's Fund if you want to impress me, big man.

It'll never happen.

it's OK to think somebody's a flaming idiot when it comes to politics, and still admire them as a brilliant musician.

Or a brilliant whatever they are for that matter.

toneloc177

(mongo, is your reply in error. wasn't it another thread about whackers, etc.???)

Nope, Grit cleared it up, but if he had left a chick that was "mush" for his volly gig, he'd be a deluxe hoople.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Forum Member

KISS, ELO, Nugent? Mongo you are dating yourself big time!!!!! But those were the days and the bands.
    And Grit, I gotta tell you, as a woman I'm thinking if you're more interested in the tones going off than getting off I'm going to have to give you the same talk I just gave poor Maplewood there in the other thread lol.
    IACOJ

Some Guy

[quote] And while we're at it, what kinda name is "the edge" anyway?

When U2 was first starting out he was told that he was on the edge of greatness. Hence that is how he got his nick name.
    [quote] And Bono is a waste of a good voice box. If the pr*ck would shut his mouth for about three minutes and break out the check book, he could feed Africa for a decade.

Bucks, I always seem to take your side on most thinks but did you know that when Bono built his house not to long ago he made sure it was huge but he also made sure that it created tons of jobs. Did you know his kids go to the same public schools as everyone else? After his house was done the economy there jumped up. I don't now what the % was but I will find out. He donates money all the time. The only think that he preaches to the US goverment is for them to try and let go of old debt from third world countries owe us from a long time ago. Thanks Bucks
    Guys, how do you know he never gave to cops or firefighters in the past? Maybe he has. Why are you so quick to judge. The all come from working class familys.
    I like U2 and personly have never had a problem with them. Sure sometime I get annoyed with the liberal s*it. I will get the artical that he was in lately and post it. He talks about his support of what the US is doing now.
    No I am not a liberal or a Dem. I am a die hard rep.

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Kyle Wickman ]

This space for rent

Forum Member

Mongo

is mumia getting a new trial?

No, thank God. But you just know that his lawyres are going to re-try it the best they can through the new sentancing hearing.

toneloc177

Hey, i've had to 'step it up' when gettin some after the tones went off.

It also sucks when you're in college, you're an RA, and the fire alarm goes off in your building when you're uh, indisposed. Drunks and fire extinguishers, I'll never understand it...

Damn Brother Bucks nothing personal, and no need to get so emotional. From the sound of it, you've been around a Firehouse long enough for someone to call you on an opinion or two.

Keep up the good work on your charity work. Coming from a Cop family, I appreciate the Faulkner cause that you have undertaken.

It doesn't matter to me if your a conservative, a moderate, or a tree huggin VW bus drivin dead listenin bead sucking hippy. Just because you may have different political views than some famous dude from Ireland doesn't mean that because you haven't heard the guy say positive things about Cops and Fireman in the past, or have proof that he has donated to a worthwhile charity, that he hasn't.

C'mon, I thought Rock 'n' Roll guys are open minded. My Politics are more aligned with a guy like the Reverend Horton Heat (DFW area guy probably knows em) but my panties aren't in a bunch because he never mentioned anything about Cops or Fireman before-nor do I know if he kicked down cash. I don't care-they are artists/entertainers nothing more.

You've made it clear that you are an entertainer with the conscience to do the right thing-and that is to give. That is why we all got into this business.

So, some time down the road when your famous and make it to the Bay Area on tour, and some dumb potato eatin mick Fireman offers to buy you a beer, let em. He'll probably tell you the moon is made out of chesse. Talk slow and don't use too many big words so he can understand.

Hang loose J Black

P.S. Were U2 and Sting on the "Cause for New York" fundraiser?

Wink

Mark me down on the Bo No's wasting way too much of MY oxygen campaign...althought U2 did put out an album/CD titled, "Unforgettable Fire". I think we've all had a few of those.

Turning to Grit, Mongo, and LadyCapn....a very wise wacker from back in my Major Hoople days once told me...."Son...you can get ye sum anytime....you can only git to a far when tha whistle blows".

Being true to my Department, I decided to test that theory once with one of my girlfriends.....not surprisingly, she now carries the title "EX" in front of girlfriend.

Forum Member

Grit, ToneLoc and Hook 'n Can have redefined the meaning of the term "rapid response!" ...of course, the significant others were playing incident commander when they kept asking for "more hose or mutual aid!"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Damn Brother Bucks nothing personal, and no need to get so emotional. From the sound of it, you've been around a Firehouse long enough for someone to call you on an opinion or two.

Absolutely. Doesn't mean I don't get right back in their face. I find the direct method works much better. Nothing personal against you as well, my friend.

Keep up the good work on your charity work. Coming from a Cop family, I appreciate the Faulkner cause that you have undertaken.

Got cops and firemen in my family. It's a cause that's near and dear to me not only because of that, but because I grew up in Philadelphia and became very familiar with the story. Jamal is a racist scumbag, and his supporters are political and economic opportunists who make a good deal of money off the back of a murdering bastard.

It doesn't matter to me if your a conservative, a moderate, or a tree huggin VW bus drivin dead listenin bead sucking hippy. Just because you may have different political views than some famous dude from Ireland doesn't mean that because you haven't heard the guy say positive things about Cops and Fireman in the past, or have proof that he has donated to a worthwhile charity, that he hasn't.

The problem I have with Mr. No (that is his name, right, Bo No?) is that he's an opportunist. He's an Irish guy who has never had anything good to say about the United States, but is quick to jump on the bandwagon and use the names of fallen American heroes to provoke an emotional response from an American audience. That's cheap. I'd rather see him quietly donate some of his millions to the Widow's and Children's Fund, rather than trying to establish some connection between him and the FDNY heroes by flashing their names in some gaudy tribute.

And while he's busy telling us we should forget about all the money that other countries owe us (that's US - you and me, working class people whose tax money goes overseas), I imagine he's not quite so generous with his concert-goers, promoters, and record company execs. It's another do as I say, but not as I do thing. Like I said, the guy is a hypocrite and a flaming idiot when it comes to this stuff. But he's a brilliant musician. The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

C'mon, I thought Rock 'n' Roll guys are open minded.

Hmmm...that's a buzzword for "Rock 'n' Roll guys are liberal".

Actually, it's my refusal to accept some wooly Irish guy's opinion just because he writes a pretty good tune that MAKES me open-minded. It's pretty close-minded to follow a band, sheep-like, and take up their political causes because you like the guitar part in their latest song about the rain forest.

My Politics are more aligned with a guy like the Reverend Horton Heat (DFW area guy probably knows em) but my panties aren't in a bunch because he never mentioned anything about Cops or Fireman before-nor do I know if he kicked down cash. I don't care-they are artists/entertainers nothing more.

If they're artists/entertainers and nothing more, then why are they testifying before the UN and the US Congress on political issues? Why are they promoting their political points of view in concert, if they're just there to entertain? Come on. Bono has used his popularity as an entertainer to branch out into politics. And I think his politics suck. "I Will Follow" was a pretty decent song, though.

You've made it clear that you are an entertainer with the conscience to do the right thing-and that is to give. That is why we all got into this business.

I actually got into music for the chicks (nod here to Mongo)

I play music because I love it. I don't attach any more meaning to it than that. I'm not trying to change the world with music. I take the money we make and donate it to causes I believe in - and I believe in doing the right thing, you're right about that.

So, some time down the road when your famous and make it to the Bay Area on tour, and some dumb potato eatin mick Fireman offers to buy you a beer, let em. He'll probably tell you the moon is made out of chesse. Talk slow and don't use too many big words so he can understand.

I'll take you up on that, even if I never get to be famous.

Hang loose J Black

Is there any other way to hang, brother?

P.S. Were U2 and Sting on the "Cause for New York" fundraiser?

They probably were. I think U2 did something from a London studio. Gee, I wonder how much money they've donated? That's like me offering to pull a length of 1 3/4" in support of the fallen heroes of NYC. Please.

And Sting - wasn't he the one that wanted HIS song to be "the song of the event"? There were actually negotiations that went on, like the ones I imagine went on when Michael Jackson wanted to be identified as "the King of Pop", about whose musical d*ck was bigger. Naaaw, these guys don't have big egos, do they?

I'll say it one more time - when they start doing things that actually amount to a sacrifice for them (i.e. hits 'em in the wallet, for example), I might listen with more than half an ear to what they have to say - lead by example, in other words. Until then, I'll keep buying the CDs, but I'm not buying their bullsh*t.

Joe Black

Very nice post Bucks.

Sterotypes are a wonderful thing. (I wonder if anyone will take the bait left between the lines...)

geiss

The Rev!

First time I saw them ('91 I think) I thought the Stray Cats had got back together when they first came out on stage.

The Rev....here he is!

Forum Member

I took my younger sister to the U2 show Oct. 15th for her 30th birthday. Say what you want, but that show was fantastic. When they did the song New York from the last album..I had chills. Music is very powerful and can do much to heal. Bono is a good guy and had nothing but kind words for the U.S.,the people of New York and the many heroes of Sept. 11th. When the list of our departed brothers was shown on the screen, it was very very emotional for everyone in the house. I think some of you are misguided in your criticsism of U2...I bet some of the loudest voices in these rooms have never been to a U2 show, listened to the lyrics or really understand what they are about.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information