Post Bourke Eye shield

first, does drilling holes for the bourkes break the integrity or weaken the helmet at all
    and of the depts out there that use them, how do they work out, for eye and face protection.
    9/11/01 forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, this is only my opinion as I have no way of truly knowing if in fact Bourkes cause any stress to a helmet. My shields are mounted on a N5A leather, so I can't imagine that it has any effect on the strength of surrounding helmet structure. If it is going on a tactical tupperware (plastic) helmet, it may be a factor if the plastic is very thin on the brim-I suppose this is just based on what mfg of helmet you employ. Bourkes serve absolutely no purpose when it comes to "safety". I always use either goggles or ANSI/OSHA certified safety glasses if the most remote possibility of danger is around. Bourkes have a long standing tradition in the fire service and lend a very traditional appearance to fire helmets, I wouldn't remove mine for anything!
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

When I ordered my Paul Conway I had it spec'd out with bourkes, but only for the traditional value they add to the helmet. That is why I had goggles included. One thing I did notice about the bourkes is that when I do flip them down, if there is a near by light, be it a street light or any other type, I get a pretty annoying glare, which will give me a headache in no time. So as far as I am concerned with bourkes I would never trade them but I sure won't use them.
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

I used to have a cairns 880 (the kind they used in Backdraft)that was about 15 years old that had Bourkes. They worked well while I used that helmet which was for a few years. They provided decent eye protection, but I would prefer goggles any day.

Forum Member

I installed a pair of Bourkes on my leather Paul Conway. They are not in any stressed area of the helmet and installing them won't void the warrenty. As far as the plastc traditional hemets I realy don't know, I've never seen them on one. As for eye protection, you would probably be safer with safty glasses. I have the goggles on my because they provide the best eye protection(I know from experince). I put the Bourkes on just for the look.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Ihave them on my leather helmet. Aside from the traditional look, I don't think they are worth jack. You might be better off with a decent pair of goggles.
    "In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

"Be excellent to each other."

Both San Francisco and New York issue 1010's with Bourkes. I personally remember a time when I used the bourkes for eye protection, but that was also when air packs were "optional" in San Francisco...

Can anyone tell me who manufactures bourkes? I want them for a different helment that I have. I would like to go straight to a Bourke manufacturer.

Forum Member

Everyone,( that I can think of) in our department has bourkes on their helmets. They were all briefly removed after we recived a fine from the state after they watched us at a 3 alarm taxpayer fire. They saw us opening up the roof, and venting the front windows without having the Scott pack mask on. They said this was a violation since the guys didnt have eye and face protection. And we had no written policy on what degree of face and or eye protection was needed for each operation. However our Chief, ( who was asked by the city to leave over reacted and removed all the bourkes from our helmets since they were not certified as eye or face protection. After some talk with the state people it was agreed that the bourkes are only ornamental, and goggles and scott masks were the only forms of protection to be used.

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

I use the bourkes on my helmet quite frequently from pulling ceilings, to cutting with a Partner Saw. I have never felt unsafe or unprotected by them. I just keep my collar up and flip the Bourkes down and got plenty of face protection. Like any piece of equipment, in order to work properly, you have to maintain it. A lot of guys don't keep their Bourkes clean because they like to show off their battle scars with the red devil and keep the eyeshields smoked out or melted and warped. I don't see a problem with using Bourkes. Goggles and faceshields can melt, get scratched and smoke up just as easily as well.

I can't imagine them (Bourkes) weakening the integrity of the helmet considering that most traditional fire helmet manufacturers include the Bourkes as an option or spec when purchasing. Faceshield mounts are also drilled into the brim!

FYI - 12TruckTillerman. FDNY does not issue Cairns 1010's. and never has. Since 1996-7 the firemen have been issued Ben II's which are made by Morning Pride. Prior to that, Cairns N5A's were issued.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Ladder41OVM ]

Forum Member

Cool

PFDE4, interesting comment about the fines, the grand ol' state of Maine was down here last year invetigating an on the job injury.(not bourke related) and noticed them on the helmets. He asked to see the chiefs SOP/SOG on eye protection and we were covered because it states (not verbatim) "Any firefighter with bourke eyeshields shall also have proper eye protection such as goggles, glasses or Scott facepeice"

I've also heard that in order to be NFPA, goggles have to be helmet mounted. this seems so F@#^ing stupid to me! If bourkes get stained and useless imagine goggles!!!

oh well, soap box mode off.

-Nick

Thread Information