Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: scary moments

Question scary moments

what was the most scary moment of your whole fire fighting career?

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

okay let me start off i was a TRUE rookie fresh out of high school i joined the f.d.(so when this happened i was just 19) so we(my fire dept) was at a barn fire for mutal aid.(I know i should have thought this out but i was excited cause you know when you get your first few calls) so chief said said take this axe to that guy up by the fire.(it was a guy on another dept)I Thought no big deal you know just carry the axe to him come back to chief and get more orders.(But you gotta give me credit i did do something smart) i said chief give a radio so he laughed and said just to go to the barn. I said just to be safe.there's diesel tanks by these farm barn.and this barn really flamming so I thought nothing about the diesel tanks being a rookie( i know stupid me) i hear this expanding/hissing sound.(I did learn something in fire school if you hear expanding sound get down QUICK) so i throw the axe toward the ground and made sure it wouldn't hit anyone) i get down on my belly against the ground . I hear BOOOOOOOOM then i feel this flame/draft over my back. once the flames let off a little i grabbed my radio( i was a basketcase) i said chief you gotta get everyone out of there its a mess up here a diesel tank just went off. he said are you alright i said besides the bowl of pudding in my pants yeah . Ever since then I learned A IMPORTANT LESSON LOOK AROUND THE FIRE FOR ACCELRANTS(like propane,gas,diesel,anything highly flammable)

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

okay let me start off i was a TRUE rookie fresh out of high school i joined the f.d.(so when this happened i was just 19) so we(my fire dept) was at a barn fire for mutal aid.(I know i should have thought this out but i was excited cause you know when you get your first few calls) so chief said said take this axe to that guy up by the fire.(it was a guy on another dept)I Thought no big deal you know just carry the axe to him come back to chief and get more orders.(But you gotta give me credit i did do something smart) i said chief give a radio so he laughed and said just to go to the barn. I said just to be safe.there's diesel tanks by these farm barn.and this barn really flamming so I thought nothing about the diesel tanks being a rookie( i know stupid me) i hear this expanding/hissing sound.(I did learn something in fire school if you hear expanding sound get down QUICK) so i throw the axe toward the ground and made sure it wouldn't hit anyone) i get down on my belly against the ground . I hear BOOOOOOOOM then i feel this flame/draft over my back. once the flames let off a little i grabbed my radio( i was a basketcase) i said chief you gotta get everyone out of there its a mess up here a diesel tank just went off. he said are you alright i said besides the bowl of pudding in my pants yeah . Ever since then I learned A IMPORTANT LESSON LOOK AROUND THE FIRE FOR ACCELRANTS(like propane,gas,diesel,anything highly flammable)

MembersZone Subscriber TailboardJockey's Avatar

Exclamation

The time that I almost rolled a USAF P-15 Crash Truck.

It's the largest fire truck in the world, weighing in at about 131,000 lbs. It holds 6100 gallons of water, 515 gallons of foam, and two 1250 gpm roof turrets with a firefighter on each one.

I was a firefighter at Eielson AFB in Alaska, driving it for the first time. We were going pretty fast around a corner on one of the back taxiways and hit a patch of dry pavement after being on ice. We did a 360, then hit some more dry pavement which sent us up on 4 wheels (there are 4 on each side). The water in the tank sloshed back the other way, so we went up on the other 4 wheels. I wasn't really worried about myself, just the two guys on top.

The guy who was in the cab with me had to go home because he was too shaken up to finish the shift!

Here's a picture of the P-15 at Travis AFB.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Tailboard_Jockey ]

Living the dream...

The most scary moment of my life?

August 29, 1999... I signed the papers joining the fire department... the chief let out a evil laugh and rubbed his hands together...

Oh wait, that was the second most scary moment of my life...

The MOST scary moment was July 17th, 2000, shortly after 2230 hrs. Shortly before 2230 we were called to a reported tanker on its side. I was in the second unit, riding in the officer seat. We were about half way to where dispatch told us the accident location was when they informed us it was a propane tanker and that there was reports of it leaking. Our Rescue and Chief were already on scene and setting up evacuation procedures when we got there. I remember pulling in behind them, seeing the Propane tanker about 30 feet in front of me, on its side, a solid 6-8 inch stream of propane jetting across the highway in front of us and THE CAB AND MARKER LIGHTS BLINKING, not to mention people standing around with their VEHICLES RUNNING. One guy was even SMOKING.

That was the scariest moment in my life.

We ended up being on scene for almost 22 hours.

This picture was was taken the next day, after the nearly 35 000 litres of propane leaked out (that was Hazmat's call).

Note two things:
    1. The blue thing in the top left... that is the roof of the cab.
    2. The burn marks on the side are from when it slid before rolling over to the other side and before it hit the mountain.

"No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

Angry

That's easy, it was the day I figured out Chief Officers were not accountable for anything.

Thread Information