Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

Post I don't think Training should ever end

Okay my view on this Training is way of prepping the officer or firefighter for whatever comes up.I try to go to atleast 1 fire class per week.(we'll for a 6 hour on my birthday in march)but I know those guys who says "we don't need training we'll just adjust to the occassion" well the thing is like with flashovers,backdrafts and stuff like that you don't have time to adjust. if you don't look for warning signs you'll ATLEAST be seriously burnt in a flashover(probably killed.) (now for the finishing statement.) Not only does your Fire Dept like you to be trained (and verstile on different fires and emergencys), you community expects you to be. And is that the reason why we're firefighters to serve and protect.(think about that guys)

Thumbs up

Very well put...

Learn something new everyday.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: LOCALPREZMIKE ]

IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

My personal feeling is that training begins on the day you fill out the application and it shouldn't stop until the day you are retire as an active firefighter. ~ I've been an active Volunteer for 12 Years now and I'm still learning new things, seeing new equipment, and trying new stuff as much as I can. ~ I'm 30 now and probably have about 30 more active firefighting years left and I intend to keep learning. ~ I sometimes can't understand why Newer Members and some Junior Members don't train during downtime in the station -- Instead they just lounge around in the "Back-Room" ~ I'm not perfect and I have my Back-Room-Lounging times but that gets boring after awhile...Even if it's not a bonified company drill go out to the engine room and go through the equipment you'll almost always see something you didn't see the last time...Training is key to being a sucessful firefighter...

Just my $0.02 Cents worth
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

MFD

i don't care if it's even easy training(like truck checks or reviewing equiptment) i'd like for my fire dept to do this once a week. but until the chief CLAMPS DOWN on the guys who are lazy. we'll never see it(unless #1 all the lazy guys quit or #2 chief tells them either take more training or get out). usually the only training is see most of the guys at is the "cool training" like flashover training. which i'm glad they go to that training. but I don't go to certain classes just cuase "they sound cool" go to them in hope of learning something. sure i know certain classes to put it bluntly BLOW.sure its fun when you get to play with (for example) a new high pressure nozzle but but if your only there to play with it you accomplished JACK SQUAT. cause firefighting is not a game (my dept and i hope your dept doesn't either) doesn't play around on the scene. only time you should play with fire hoses/nozzles is #1 waterball #2 some kind of competition between firefighters or other depts.

I truly feel that the department should be dedicated to it's primary mission of emergency response (either EMS or fire, it doesn't matter)and secondly (a very close second) training in support of that primary mission, Thirdly would be prevention activities and then probably pub-ed. Unfortunately in a lot of departments today it's pub-ed, then prevention activities and everything else comes in last. Some of that can be mitigated by an active company level training program, however, only so much. Multi company drills need the blessings of staff. Instead engine companies and truck companies are required to go out of service for pub-ed programs, but not for training. Instead, operations divisions on many departments are now at the mercy of non-firefighter (but look like one) civilian hires. Many times these headquarters drones aren't qualified to carry a firefighter's gear bag. In light of Sept. 11/01 it makes me want to puke.

Agreed 100+%!!!!!!

If you're a member of a sports team you train/practice everyday that you do not have a 'game' so why should the team 'sport' of Emergency Services be any different??

The bottom line is you learn by doing. And by doing I mean doing anything other that sitting on your backside. I encourage my guys to pick up a saw and start it, pull out the ladder, deploy the jacks and raise it, clean out a compartment in the rescue (you might just find something you never new was in there!) All these little, basic things make the difficult scenes that much easier!

Stay safe!

Any dept that dosen't train regularly is a hazard to everyone, other firefighter's and the citizens of the area, there are no born firefighters and even once you are trained practice is required to keep up and sharpen your skills,"We will just adapt to the situation" is a lousy excuse not to train.

Thread Information