Red face The Bravest. A scene from 12/22/01

If anybody seen The Bravest yesterday, you probably seen the scene were Res2cue had to be called to assist the paramedics. There was a guy at least 600 pounds they stated. It took them a very good amount of time to get this guy into the squad.

I just wanted to know if any of you have been in that situation, were you had to move a very big patient?
    FALLEN BROTHERS: REST IN PEACE

My Department has a Hospital in Town that we often get called to assist any incoming EMS Unit with Large Patients. ~ Our most notable comes from a town where that fire company actually has to use an engine hoist to move the patient -- the rams are taken from the rear of the ambulance as well as the stretcher and the patient is transported to our town's ER. ~ We get the call to assist EMS and await the Ambulance arrival where upon they arrive followed by the patients care taker who has this portable engine hoist on board his van. We assist him in hooking up the patient and moving onto a surgery table and the patient is moved into the ER. It can be quite a job but well worth it knowing you helped someone in need
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Forum Member

Anyone here by chance tape it , I was unable to see yesterdays episode becasue I was at a wedding

We had a 570 LB patient in a nursing home who was a frequent flier to the ER. The fire dept worked with the ambulance squad to build a special board to load/unload him. 1" plywood with 2 1/2 hose woven underneath to act as handles. We couldn't use the regular stretcher so we removed it and the locking mechanism from the ambulance. once he was in the ambulance, we used foam "chocks" to keep the fat from moving around and crushing our feet.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

We have a lady that is 550 in our area she is very bad off.Bedsores and general lack of hygeine.We have to assist the ambulance whenever she goes to the Dr.Now we have another one who is so apologetic with us when we arrive that it makes you feel bad for him.He is 500 lbs but his house is so immaculate you could eat off the ceiling!Great guy and he is working on his weight but in most of our cases we just overpower the situation.Send as many guys as possible.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been on 1 or 2 calls that we've had to call in extra manpower, I remember a MVA I was at right on top of a bridge Lady was about 500 maybe little more, we put her on the cot and had to leave it at ground level in case it gave way ...but even on the ground the thing was screamin, 2nd call was a guy 550-600lbs Having a diabetic emergency well let me tell you that was my first EMS call that I've been on tehre we needed 2 Rig Fulls of people about 5 guys in 2nd out rig 4 in the first one to help pick this guy up... I dunno how we put him on the cot.. I didnt want to but the "old timer" on the squad didnt wanna listen to me.. but it held THANK GOD and we got him in the ambulance.. took a good 9-10 people to get him in but we did it..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MEDIC O372
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey we had an 800 lb guy that shot himself in the head. We had to take the wall apart in his house to get him out. We then placed him in the back of one of the FDs pickup trucks with a salvage cover over him.

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: MEDIC O372 ]

Unhappy

We have a man that weighs 600+, we've had to move him three or four times. Everything unbolted from in back of ambulance, no cot, then we use eight or more of us to get him on a salvage cover. Then we have to drag him across the floor and out a back patio door. The hardest part is getting Him on the floor and raising into the ambulance. Since we've done this a few times it gets quicker. I hope we never need to get him out of a house fire. It won't happen.

800 lbs, shot in the head, and still viable???

Had a few 500+ pounders. They always suck. Three times in a nursing home, three times in private residences. twice they just couldn't get their 'dairy-aire' off the floor.

Don't you think that liposuctiuon should be a requirement???
    May God bless all the people and families who have lost
    their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
    toneloc177@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

Hey joel we call them leavers, you leave them with the line and a mask and hope for the best (lol just kidding).
    bob g R2

Thread Information