Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Red face Changing History- The Flag Raising on 9-11

I saw this article in newsday from dec 22nd.

'Flag-Raising' Statue Unveiled / Model inspired by Sept. 11 photo
    PUBLICATION: Newsday
    BY: Joshua Robin. STAFF WRITER
    DATE: 12-22-2001

A clay sculpture depicting three firefighters raising the flag at Ground Zero on Sept. 11 was unveiled Friday in front of the department's Brooklyn headquarters.

"Flag-Raising at Ground Zero," based on a photograph taken the day of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, will be bronzed at an upstate foundry before official dedication ceremonies in April in front of 9 MetroTech Center.

The $180,000 statue is the first memorial to the 343 firefighters and emergency medical personnel killed Sept. 11. Bruce Ratner, president and chief executive of Forest City Ratner Companies, which developed MetroTech, is underwriting the memorial.

Though it is inspired by the picture taken by Thomas Franklin, a photographer for The Record in Bergen, N.J., artists from the Brooklyn studio who crafted the 18-foot-high sculpture made subtle changes.

For one, the firefighters in the photo, who were all white, were replaced in the sculpture with three unidentified Fire Department staffers of three different races, artists said Friday. The clay firefighters' arms also appear more sinewy and their postures more upright.

The modifications came at the behest of Fire Department officials, said artists with Studio EIS, located on York Street in the Dumbo section.

Neither Franklin nor the three firefighters in the photo came to Friday's ceremony, to which they had been invited.

Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said the Sept. 11 flag-raising proved the terrorists did not achieve their ultimate goal of breaking the nation's spirit.

Calling the photograph "one of the most inspirational that I have ever seen," Giuliani said it showed that "the spirit of America ... was soaring above the evil deeds that were done to us."

Fire Commissioner Thomas Von Essen cried during the ceremony. He has announced he will retire after Giuliani's term ends with the Jan. 1 swearing-in of Mayor-elect Michael Bloomberg.

The eyes of Capt. James Graham of Rockville Centre, who works at Ladder Co. 102 in Bedford-Stuyvesant, also welled with tears during the service, which he attended after a morning off-duty spent combing the rubble of Ground Zero.

"It wasn't a fire," Graham said of Sept. 11. "It was an act of war."

Plans for a memorial in lower Manhattan remain under discussion.

After the ceremony, Giuliani said the city should build a temporary memorial in lower Manhattan before a permanent structure is built.

Of Ground Zero, Giuliani said: "We should not ... give the impression that the most important thing to us there is economic development, because it's not. The most important thing to us should be appropriately remembering, memorializing the lives of people that were lost there."

As of Friday, an Associated Press list of victims of the attacks on New York and Washington numbered 3,187 people. Of those, 2,954 were killed or lost in the Trade Center attacks, including the passengers and crew of the two hijacked jets that slammed into the Twin Towers.

Staff writer Dan Janison and The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Copyright 2001, Newsday Inc.

So they decided to change history to make things politically correct? The most memorable image from Sept 11th will be cheapened in a sculpture that will be factually wrong. I wonder how our three brothers who raised the flag feel about this? They weren't at this ceremony, if that says anything. Neither was the photographer.

Is it time they go back and modify all other sculptures that have historical meaning, like Iwo Jima, etc?

FF Williams, FF Johnson, and FF Eisengrien raised the flag as brothers, as Americans. Not as three white guys.

Does anyone else feel as I do? I just can't believe this stuff.

If any of you feel as annoyed as I do, please write either of the two people listed here. The company paying the bill, or, according to the article, the people who decided on changing history.

Bruce Ratner
    President and CEO
    Forest City Enterprises, Inc.
    Terminal Tower
    50 Public Square Suite 1100
    Cleveland, Ohio 44113
    Tel: (216)621-6060
    Fax: (226)263-6208
    WWW.FCEINC.COM

Fire Commissionar's Office
    FDNY Headquaters
    9 Metro Tech Center
    Brooklyn, NY 11201-5431

Forum Member

Why am I not surprised? Nothing against our esteemed African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic-American, and whatever-American brothers, but this is just all so typical of the politically correct bullsh*t that rules and ruins our lives.

Look, would everyone have been happy if there were a black fireman there to help raise the flag? Sure!!! In fact, who gives a flying, maneuvering f*ck? But now, we have to revise history a bit to make it more palatable.

Truly sickening and immature at the same time. Don't you think the actual guys that did the raising should be memorialized? How do you think they feel about it? It should be their faces, their bodies, their postures.
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

We may be a great nation but we are a "sick" nation too if we continue to put up with this "political correctness bull*hit!
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Forum Member

I hope we hear from FDNY on this. Caveman or 299Loo, what the feeling up there?

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

The opinion from the Midwest is that it's a mistake.

No one is trying to sell a product here. We don't need to represent a cross-section of the community.

Anytime I see something like this, I want to cringe.

Angry

I'm so sick of this "politically correct" BS it makes me want to puke. When will it ever end?

FTM-PTB-RFB

MembersZone Subscriber

With all due respect to the fallen Brothers and Sisters, as well as to all Brothers & Sisters everywhere regardless of color, race, creed, or descent . . .

I think that this is a 100% crock !!

That photo was a moment in our history that has become a symbol of the Strength & Perseverance of the American Spirit.

To alter it in any way is to strip it of it’s meaning as well as being a slap in the face of the three Brothers who had the presence of mind to raise the flag and show the world that Americas’ spirit was intact in the first place.

Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Is it time they go back and modify all other sculptures that have historical meaning, like Iwo Jima, etc?

...this is just all so typical of the politically correct bullsh*t that rules and ruins our lives...
    Don't you think the actual guys that did the raising should be memorialized?

We may be a great nation but we are a "sick" nation too if we continue to put up with this "political correctness bull*hit!

Anytime I see something like this, I want to cringe.

I'm so sick of this "politically correct" BS it makes me want to puke. When will it ever end?

To alter it in any way is to strip it of it’s meaning as well as being a slap in the face of the three Brothers who had the presence of mind to raise the flag and show the world that Americas’ spirit was intact in the first place.

Well said all of the above, I agree completely.
    "Go ugly early."

Im with you, brothers. Well put Fdskier. And i will write those b@stards.
    try it you'll like it

MembersZone Subscriber

Here it is...
    Living the dream...

This Political Correctness makes me want to puke. Why don't they go all the way and change it to a man, a woman, and a gay. Sheesh!

The absolute powerfulness of this moment in our history is that it wasn't staged. It was real, from the heart, and helped unite the nation. Now they want to twist it to fit some altered vision! I'm sending off my letter of protest today.
    Firefighting, a calling that never leaves you.

Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by Engine181:
    [QB]This Political Correctness makes me want to puke. Why don't they go all the way and change it to a man, a woman, and a gay. Sheesh!QB]

Hey Engine181, a "gay" is a man or a women... there two sexes on this planet, not three. And being non-PC and being an as*hole are two different things... you described the as*hole.

I agree with the rest of your statement bro, well said!

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

This is a true disgrace to the 3 brothers that were in the original picture. What a crock of political BS. Its these kind of people that make our job difficult. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt the article say that FD officials ordered the changes.

Talk about getting stabbed in the back by your own dept.

Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Gee, whatta shock...
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

I'm in complete agreement that this is a crock. If this is to be presented as a historical work then it should be accurate. I wonder if the three Brothers have any legal say in how their images are used?

Now if the scupture were to include a montage of all Americans of both genders and all ethnicities along say the base or somewhere else to represent the effects on all of us then I would go for that. But leave the flag raising as it was.

Forum Member

I'd like to know how the fire officials that requested the changes arrived at the decision. I'm surprised they didn't ask to make one the ffs female to cover both genders too :rolleyes That would have been ludicrous, but the other changes make sense?!?

With the renewed national focus on inclusiveness and tolerance everywhere, I can understand how this "creation" was conceived, but come on! It's bad enough to suggest the original ffs were of the wrong race and physique, but to "pose" the scultpure as well... N2Dfire, FDskier said it best.

Another example that the MUTT'S are a live and well and obiviously working overtime..

UNFRECKIN BELIEVABLE

GOD Bless FDNY and all of the Lost Brother's

Dave
    Firefighter

[quote]Originally posted by daysleeper47:

Hey Engine181, a "gay" is a man or a women... there two sexes on this planet, not three.

I know that. I was trying to show how ridiculous the whole idea of changing the statue was by being funny, but I guess I missed the target.
    Firefighting, a calling that never leaves you.

Forum Member

As a Marine, I have always looked upon the Marine Corps War Memorial with awe and pride. I know most Marines feel the same way, black, white, hispanic, etc.. I've never known anyone to suggest that it's message is diminished by the racial divisions of the time.
    I'm disgusted. If they wanted to change their ethnicity, they should have designed a different statue. A beautiful, touching, patriotic moment has been degraded by fraud.

Forum Member

I just told my kids about this whole thing. They are in tune with racial issues since they are mixed race thenselves. My daughter immediately summed it up, saying "THAT'S STUPID!!"

She has more sense than anyone involved in the design of that statue.

Merry Melting Pot Christmas.

Forum Member

Arrow

I can't say I am agreement with the change, but as I recall this is not a first. I do remember reading where the famous photo of the flag raising over Iwo Jima from WWII was actually a "staged" event for the media. The "real" raising of the flag was much less dramatic, so in order to make some propoganda, the army photographers gathered their own group of soldiers and raised it again with much more flair.

100 years from now afer we are all gone... the statue will still have its meaning... so let's not be too critical of the effort.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were trying to be funny... my bad. Next time I will laugh!

MembersZone Subscriber

What a bunch of BS?? I agree with the rest of you.

Forum Member

The three guys were who they were. There is no need to change that fact.

Political correctness got us to September 11th, let's not compound that by changing a factual event.

1261Truckie

MembersZone Subscriber

GOD forbid we offend or exclude some ethnic group its right to representation these days. Hell while he was at it why didn't the sculptor add a few native Americans, some Hispanics an Eskimo a few asians- heck this statue could have been huge!!!
    Come'on enough already!!!Future generations should be able to look at this statue and see the spontaneous patriotic act as it happened. A true outpouring of instantaneous love of country and pride. This generic piece of crap lacks it all.
    "Never trust a smiling dog"
    Delaware F.O.O.L. FTM-PTB-EGH

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information