Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Runs!

Post Christmas Runs!

Just wondering what calls some of you had run x-mas eve and x-mas Day
    Just wondering?
    "Go in as a team, Come out as a team"

Its a tradition to get a chimney fire call, midmorning Christmas--always ask em -"been burning wrapping paper?" --90% of the time its "yep,why?"-
    The Chrismas eve fires really break my heart-- we have an agreement with the asst manager of the local Walmart to let us in after hours if a family has a loss-- we buy a couple of things so the kids will have something to unwrap-- thankfully those are becoming far less frequent.

for 12/24...a mutial aid ladder assignment at about 5 this morning for an automatic fire alarm.

nothing else today...

wew're usually quiet on the 25th but you never know.

peace to all and have a safe and happy holiday
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Christmas Eve, 1989...
    I was a Lieutenant on Group 3, Engine 3. We were working our 2nd night tour and would be going off for 4 days beginning at 08:00 Christmas morning.

The usual last minute Christmas shopping rush plus a light snow falling = Motor vehicle accidents. We had been to quite a few "bumperthumpers" and "fenderbenders" in the early part of the tour.

At approximately 9:30 PM, Fire Alarm received a call from a resident stating that there was water in the basement at a building in the Windsor Heights Apartment complex. My Engine company was detailed on the still alarm. We arrived on scene to find a torrent of water coming from the feed off of the main just before the shutoff...it looked a fountain and it was flooding the basement floor. During the day, the Maintenance staff had noticed a small leak and had done a "temporary repair" using a piece of inner tube and two screw clamps to seal the crack in the pipe instead of having the water shut off in the street and the pipe properly repaired. I requested Fire Alarm to detail Ladder 1, the Water Department, the Police and Maintenance to the scene. Many of the residents were not home, so we forced entry into the apartments to take Christmas gifts off of the floor of the apartments and move them to "higher ground". I had Fire Alarm send an addtional firefighter from headquarters with a cellar pump, a junk length of 3" hose and a couple of clamps. When the hose arrived, we cut the coupling off of one end of the junk hose, connected a couple of lengths of 3" line, put the end over the broken pipe and clamped it. The 3" supply line routed the flow of water out of the basement, up the stairs and into the parking area, which turned into a skating rink. Their maintenance crew and the Water Department finally arrived, the Water Department shut off the flow of water in the street...unfortunately, the main they had to shut down fed half of the complex! A cellar pump and a few lengths of hose was left at the scene to pump the water out of the cellar area. We had just made up and were clearing from that incident when the tones went off for a reported structure fire...we were detailed to Headquarters to cover. The fire started in a Christmas tree and caused extensive damage to the structure and contents. We were sure glad to go off duty Christmas morning at 08:00!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Christmas day last year at approx 1500 we were tonned to a brush fire. Some guy was burning a pile of trash and it got outta hand, the wind caught it and the fire took off pretty fast. I was fighting fire from the brush truck when the nozzle started feeling kinda loose. I was going to tell the pump operator to close my line but i only had enough time to turn around and say "close my...." and the nozzle seperated from the end of the hose. Needless to say I was soaked from head to toe in 30 degree weather.
    When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Today has been quite for the most part. We had a nice dinner(no interuptions), and some of our famalies have been in and out. Late this afternoon we had a regular to a possible structure fire. Arrrived to find a chimney fir with just a small amount of extension. A little longer and we would have been fighting it out. The residents were very nice, and in the x-mas spirit. They offered to give us a rottweiler puppy for the station! We had to decline, because we are not allowed pets at the station, but it was a very nice offer! We had the "heart breaker" this time of year, an attempted suicide. I was on the pumper, which was already out, but hearing that over the radio, kind of puts my merry christmas into perspective. I hope you all have a merry christmas, and stay safe.

[quote] we have an agreement with the asst manager of the local Walmart to let us in after hours if a family has a loss

That`s a nice thing to do. Luckily, I don`t think we`ve had any Christmas fires in as long as I can remember. Today was very quite, just a few routine, and minor medical calls, on the 25th, the radio is usually silent, but I do remember a few "possible" structure fires that turned out to be oil burners and stuff. I haven`t been a member for any Christmas`s anyways, just know because of my Dad. I wouldn`t be surprised if we got a home alarm or something though tommorow, and if there is a fire, it`s a good day in a sense, because almost everyone is home, and can go if the tones drop.

We just hit a transformer, 1300 people are with out power right now, where it blew
    "Go in as a team, Come out as a team"

The Rohrerstown Fire Company (Station 67) of Lancaster County, PA ran so far:

X-mas Eve:

Investigation in the 2200 BLK of Marietta Ave (67 local) Engine 67-1.

Vehicle Accident at Stonemill and Schoolhouse Roads (68 local) Engine 67-1.

Vehicle Accident at Oreville and Farmingdale Roads (67 local) Engine 67-1 & 67-2, Rescue 68 was placed in-service.

X-mas Day:

Dwelling at 315 Winding Hill Road (67 local) Engine 67-1 and Tower 67, Rescue 23 was placed in-service. Captain 67 had the command. 0809hrs.

Dwelling at 315 Winding Hill Road (67 local)
    Engine 67-1 and Tower 67, Rescue 23 was placed in-service. Captain 67 had the command. 1123hrs. Had a problem with the fire place.

Not to busy over here. X-mas eve we had one call for a gas leak. Second call was an alarm system for careless cooking. And 1:30 this morning we had a reported dwelling fire which turned out to be someone having their oven turned on self wash.

Around 8 this morning, our truck ran mutual aid to another departments district, they were cancelled in route. About 5 minutes later, our engine ran a mutual aid to a oven fire, it was out on arrival.

Edit: Another fire alarm a few hours ago, the truck was cancelled in route again.

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: BFD45 ]

we had 3 stove fires so far today, usually X-mas day is a busy one for medical runs, but so far so good at this station anyhow. a couple of other stations have been pretty busy

MembersZone Subscriber

0400 Christmas Morning: 5 month old with difficulty breathing. Luckily, he wasn't doing to bad but still went to the hospital.

Not a fun way to start Christmas for his mom, dad & 2 y/o sister
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Last night my station ran just a MVA. The whole distrct ran 4 fires. All of the structural nature. Haven't had anything yet today. But we still have 4 hours of Christmas left. Had a $450,000 home burn on Friday morning last week.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Well so far so good...Only 8 runs, nothing serious and we made it through our meals. I only hope it stays this way. No one likes to work too hard on Christmas.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

monday I had a 66% mortality rate. went on a call where a lady had a glucose of 1200. she died. then went on a call for a 60 y/o grandmom who fell down the cellar stairs. she died at the hospital. had a fatal car accident last week too. Good year this year. NOT

Unhappy

kitchen fire caused by electrical.7:00am Dec.25. contained to the kitchen, smoke damaged the rest
    Stay safegoing into the new year!!!

christmas eve we had a car leaking gasoline and an alarm activation caused by unattended cooking,

christmas day we had a basement fire and a co alarm

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    even though its the day after

Thumbs up

Slow on X-mas day... A couple of medical aid runs and one "Kitchen Fire" that turned out to be nothing but a ruined prime rib roast. You know, those suckers can really fill up a house with smoke when they're left in the oven too long at too high a temperature! It was dinner out for them!

Have a happy new year everybody!

FB
    Fire service survival tips:
    1) Cook at 350...
    2) Pump at 150...
    3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
    4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our volunteer department had to run the call we all dreaded on Christmas eve. One of the founders of our dept. with a terminal disease had to call for an ambulance in the middle of the night. Our department is first response in this district. We provided O2 and comforted him until the ambulance arrived. He made it through Christmas Day and is resting comfortably in the Hospital. All of our prayers are with him and his family.

Happy and Safe Holidays to all!

Thread Information