Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Post Revamping a dept., and need help!!!!

Here is the situation:
    Pay per call dept., currently has full time paid chief(and does'nt need one), runs 500-600 calls per year, 5000 population, suburb, landlocked by surrounding communities, excellent ISO rating, poor training, lack of quality leadership, poor morale, way too much paper work!

The current chief is soon retiring, I would like to see this dept. become a great dept. It has alot of problems, but a strong base to build from.

I am a career f.f. who would love to be a paid part time chief. I feel the expirience would be invaluable to my future in the fire service. I am currently a member of this dept. and struggle to keep my mouth closed. My first dept.(which is all volunteer), had less money, newer apparatus, better training, and is a very well respected dept. I was a LT. with this past dept.

So my question to all of you: What do I need to do? I need ideas, hints, what to watch out for, etc. I have the ambition, knowledge, training, and the ability to do this, I just want your ideas as a sort of research. I have already mapped out a course of action, but I am very interested in your ideas, I may be missing something!

Please help!!!!!! Thank you!

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

I know I'm a rookie (only about 1-1.5 years on my f.d.) but i hang out with my chief a lot. he gives me some advice on when i get older and if he isn't there(cause there's probably close to 20 yr age gap there)ways i can maybe be a officer maybe chief of Maplewood F.D.
    #1. TRY TO PIPE DOWN FROM OUTBURST(there's been times at my dept I've wanted to say "your a total moron" to a member but just go out and walk around the station a couple times"(try to find your own system)
    #2. Take classes(education can never hurt you)
    #3. Keep ears and eyes open on when the job comes open.(check in 1-2 times a week at where they post the job or take applications.
    #4.Keep a open mind and stay positive.(even if a jerk or moron gets the job think of ways as a firefighter (or whatever rank you are) you can help him or maybe teach him tricks)(plus happy people attract people negititve people turns people off)
    #5. DO YOUR BEST(this applies in training,at the scene, or if your just in a meeting)(when you put on that fire coat and bunker pants you represent the population of your town. personally i want my town to be represented well cause they pay for our fire trucks, our station, and all of our other little needs.)
    hope this helps

Maplewood, Thanks for the reply! I think I've got all the "be a good boy" P.R. stuff down. What I was wondering is more about who should I approach this situation with? Do I present my ideas to them? My #1 goal is to build this dept. up, not to tear it down in any way, so I refrain from "going off" about what I feel is mismanagement of the communities fire dept. Any other ideas on strategy/budgets/who/what/when/where I will greatly appriciate! Thanks again Maplewood! Merry Christmas and happy new year! Shed

Talking

whom is the "final say" with the dept, city, county goverment? if it's city maybe speaking with the mayor, and or city council they may not have any idea of the situation the dept is in.

Shed, I have to agree with James on this one. Whoever has the say so needs to be aware of your interest. If they are anything like our higher ups (govt), they don't have a clue as to what is going on at the station. We have a similar setup as to what you described. My recommendation is to speak with someone in the govt who has some clout with the rest of the members. Explain the situation to him/her and let them know your feelings and what you plan to do about it.

Sounds like your heart and mind are in the same place. Seems you are the man for the job, to me, and will do a damn good job of it.

Best of luck, brother!!
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

SHED376,
    IF YOU THINK YOU IDEA IS GOOD LET THEM KNOW IT,THAT WHAT MEETING ARE FOR.I BEEN IN ABOUT 15YR. AND ONE THING I DID WRONG WAS KEEPIN MOUTH SHUT. MY DEPT IS FALLING DOWN, BECAUSE SOME ONE TOLD CITY ABOUT WHAT WAS WRONG IN DEPT,AND THEY REMOVER ARE
    FUNDING. NOW WE HAS THE COUNTY TO HELP GET FRIE TRUCK OUT. I DON'T KNOW THE SYSTEM IN, BUT MY PAID/VOL. YOUR OPINION ,GOOD OR BAD, YOU DON'T KNOW
    UNTIL YOU ASK. THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY NOT MY DEPT.
    STAY SAFE AND GOD BLESS US ALL.

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

It's fine to voice your opinion but do it in a proper manner. Even If a guy says something stupid (like to buy a new truck when you have no money) you can't stand up and say your a fricken moron. Now if you say hey(say his name) our budget kind of tight now. maybe we'll look into it next year or when we get more cash.Plus not only people will think your more professional but it won't tick off the guy you think that's wrong. Grant it he'll be a little torque but not near as torqued if you call him a moron. and i try to keep everyone on my dept happy with me cause you never know when your on the scene and you might need a favor from them .REMEMBER:HANG IN THERE AND HAVE DETERMINATION.

Shed,
    I have to agree with the others. Take it to the top,City Council,Board of trustees, or whoever has the final say in Dept. decisions. And try to put down as much on paper as possible, give the people something to read, take home, take to the office or review in cloed door meetings.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Airpack
    Live Life day to day and enjoy it you never know when your time will come due.

Thread Information