Question Can anyone help me figure this out.

I have to ak this question, maybe it's just me. I don't know! I work for a fairly reputable volunteer dept. The problem we have is that when we get a call no matter what it is we have several people, including line officers, that rush by the station to get to the call before the first truck is en route! And then when they get there they don't do diddly squat!! We don't need any more spectators! I don't know if they are scared or just lazy! Does anyone have this problem also?

NKF

Make it an SOP that all fire fighters are to respond to the station and fill out the apparatus. At the point when there are not anymore drivers comming then report to the call and park at least 2 blocks from the scene and in the event of a vehicle accident do not respond to the scene because of traffic issues. Explain that they should treat calls like it was their house on fire. Would you want fire apparatus and fire fighters with equipment there or would they like a bunch of people standing around watching it burn. Talk to your Chief. He should understand the issue and espicially the safety issue.

Check with your insurance carrier about coverage of non officers responding directly to the call. If you can get the insurance carrier to understand your issue they may be able to correct the problem without you involved at all.

Forum Member

We havent ever had this problem ourselves but i have heard of it happening in some other places.
    If it is a rescue/medical call we all check to see if anyone is at the station rolling the rescue unit. the first thing on our SOP for the driver to do is to radio -rescue 1 is 10-19 to wherever. if it is during the day the city secretary answers 10-4 rescue 1, and everyone will at least hear her response from the base station there and know it is enroute. if it is a fire we are all supposed to head to the station if we are in town to get the required number of trucks needed according to the location of the call and what it is. again, With our SOP, the first thing the driver does after pulling out of the station is to radio that that particular truck is enroute.
    We always have more than enough showing up at the station to get the trucks so it isnt a problem for us. Most try to beat the Chief to the station because it seems that he sleeps in his turnouts most times. even during the night we normally have a truck out the door in 2 to 3 minutes tops.
    I know of one town that had the problem of no one getting the trucks so they made it MANDATORY for everyone to leave their turnout gear on the wall pegs at their station. Then everyone HAD to go to the station to at least get their gear and the truck if it hadnt left yet.
    I dont know your depts particular situation but we never have anyone standing around, we have 16 people on the roster and usually have at least 12 to 14 at structure fires, we make sure and rotate people as much as possible so everyone gets hands on at the scene. If we have more than enough folks for a call then the surplus are sent to the station to standby. that way they are there ready to respond to anything else that may come up and the scene isnt as crowded and its less folks to keep track of.
    I think many people want to get to the scene first and try to get the rescue or anyting else that may get them some glory. But many times it may just slip their minds, but that is hard to do if you drive right by the station.
    If someone isnt pulling their weight and doesnt have a valid reason, they need counciled in this area. Everyone cant be the chief.
    later, Tyler

On our on call dept. the chief, asst. chief, batt. chief, and 2-capts. drive direct to the fire. Everyone else goes to the hall. If another officer is inroute and I have to pass the hall I stop to make sure the 1st out engine and tanker gets out. It has worked for us.

Stay Safe

They just wanna be professional bystanders is all, browbeat the spit out of them.

"You know, if you had stopped and got a truck, we might have what we need."

"Boy, you sure look stupid standing in the front yard all by yourself. Look at all these people screaming for you to do something and all you can do is stand there and look stupid."

"You know, we would have been here a lot sooner if we didn't have to wait on one more person."

"Standing there like that, all you can do is call for help, and all these people have already done that. What good are you?"
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Our SOP states that everyone reports to the station unless otherwise told by the chief. First out trucks make it out the door and remaining personnel standby until told to respond or told to go home.
    Live Life day to day and enjoy it you never know when your time will come due.

Thread Information