Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thumbs up Apparatus Transfer Traditions

The Company Organized Sept. 15th 1841. When we retire a piece of equipment we transfer a part to the next apparatus. Over the years we saved a 1850 hand drawn hose reel. A foot bell off the Steamer. A pike Poll off the '26 fox. A bell off the '48 Mack. And we just transfer that bell to the next 2 pumpers. Anyone Else have similier
    Traditions?

Not so much a tradition as a necessity. We just took a D-handle ceiling hook off our E-One that was on our 1917 Ahrens Fox. We disassembled it, chromed the steel parts and stripped the paint off the wood. It is officially out of service after 83 years. We're going to mount it on a plaque with a photo of the rig (the Fox) and put it in the alarm room up front with the other awards we've received over the years.
    See You At The Big One

Something we just did, don't know how long it will go on. We took the Federal Q off our 74' Mack CF (a crime in itself) and had it mounted on our 98' HME. So, maybe we'll continue with that.
    Neptune 33

Some Guy

I know somebody that did that. They removed a "Q" from an old Hahn and put it on a new engine in 1990. It still works great. Although it does not spin (coast) as long as the new ones.
    This space for rent

No, we just kept our old Engine, a 19 something er rather Peter Pirsh, in awsome condition too, except for the painted dimondplate, back in the day i guess they didnt clean it they just painted over it, it is practically flat now from about 30 some coats of paint.

My vollie house has transferred two playpipes (2-1/2 inch master stream nozzles) to the rear tailboard of new engine since the late 30's-early 40's.

We also have a couple of World War II era Navy fog nozzles, Rockwood nozzles, cellar nozzles and exposure nozzles that have been continually passed from engine to engine.

Our truck company has transferred a chrome bell from the front bumper of a 30-something Pirsch I think. It has been engraved with all of the ladder trucks it has graced over the years.

Nice tradition I think. A piece of history in the present. ...and you know there's ALOT of history in firefighting.

I wish you all Peace and a safe and Happy New Year.

Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

A bell appeared on our 1927 Packard sometime in the late 30s...believed to be an old school bell, as the town was closing the one room school houses in favor of a new four room school house at the time.

Moved to the '51 Howe, '73 DiamondREO/Oren, and '95 Spartan/Marion.

------
    btw GG, the Pirsch almost certainly has steel diamond plate which you do paint with thick paint called Silver Plate. Polishing diamond plate came in with aluminium diamond plate.

Can remember when I first joined, every May before Memorial Day the 60s and 70s era trucks got a fresh coat of Silver Plate, and the tires where *painted* with Tire Black. Took us young bucks quite a few years to convince the Chief of a miracle new product called Armorall
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

In the late 80's when my drpt finally decided to retire our 1937 Ford/Woods pumper from active service my fire company bought it. it is now our parade piece, but has made several returns to active duty when we needed an extra truck.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

when we sold our 1954 or 1956 International/Howel also known as "the binder"(our dept bought it new and sold it this last summer) truck we took a few of the nozzle off of it, shined it up REAL NICE,drove it around the area(kind of as a last memory kind of deal). But the guy who bought it is a Antique International trucks and restores them. He was looking for a new project but Older fire trucks are usually either trashed/wore out or the people who have them have a price on them that's high as heck. So right now the legendary "Binder" getting a 2nd lease on life. He promised us a picture of it after he got done with it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We transfer the bell off the passenger side front bumper of our ladder truck, and engrave the in-service date on it. We have had it since our first motorized piece of apparatus in 1915. It has seen 1915, 1946, 1967, and 1989. (The way its looking it may see 2003 if the Pierce keeps rusting the way it is). I have always thought this is a nice and one of only a few good traditions when it comes to fire apparatus.

-----------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Thread Information