Thread: Helmets...?

Forum Member

Question Helmets...?

I just recently purchased a Bullard PX style helmet for myself. It seems to be far more comfortable than any other helmet I have worn. However, I do not know Bullard's history as far as safety. Does anybody have a favorite helmet and why?
    Mike

Cool

Mike--
    I'm not sure of the style, but the new bullards our station just purchased seem kinda weak if you know what I mean. They scratch real easyily and they et banged up a lot easier than the Cairns we used to have. I personally prefer the Cairns 1010 traditional stlye, the Kevlar, not the leather.(I wouldn't want all that weight on my head in the HEAT of battle!!) If you have the option, I would invest in the 1010, they last a while. I've had mine about 3 years now and it has been in some hot ones. Still good as new! Whatever you go with remember that no helmet can protect you if you don't use what's under it!

keep em safe and keep em wet!!

Cool

Mike--
    I'm not sure of the style, but the new bullards our station just purchased seem kinda weak if you know what I mean. They scratch real easyily and they et banged up a lot easier than the Cairns we used to have. I personally prefer the Cairns 1010 traditional stlye, the Kevlar, not the leather.(I wouldn't want all that weight on my head in the HEAT of battle!!) If you have the option, I would invest in the 1010, they last a while. I've had mine about 3 years now and it has been in some hot ones. Still good as new! Whatever you go with remember that no helmet can protect you if you don't use what's under it!

keep em safe and keep em wet!!
    FF 352 Josh Strange
    NVFD 30 (Sparky's Dog Pound)

The cairns 1010 is a good helmet alitle big, but looks traditional. Nothing beats a leather

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

i personally have a Morning Pride LiteForce 2 which is okay helmet but if you want a nice fit(It has a adjustable knob in the back of it) is the Big Ben 2. My Chief has this model. Its a SWEET HELMET . I've put in on and put my head all the way down and shook my head(to see if it would fall off) and it stayed on. It's a nice looking helmet too. I wish i could have gotten a Big Ben 2 but I got a helmet from a member that quit the F.D.

all i'm gonna say is: Cairns N5A
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

I own two helmets. The favorite is definitely cairns New Yorker. However, I also own a Cairns 880 which was the style helmet they used in Backdraft. I like it b/c it's very light on my head and fits great, but it's about 15 years old and doesnt comply with any regs

Had Bullards in our dept for years never any complaints other that they scuff easily
    Had mine in flashover training many times with no problem. That usally cooks them good.
    If you have it on it will protect you.

Forum Member

I have a Bullard FX traditional style helmet. The helmet itself is a little bulky, it does scuff easily. I had a problem with the rachet and Bullard replaced it very quickly, they were excellant to work with. I prefer the Cairns 1010, much lighter!

Stay safe,

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Thumbs up

until recently,i had a cairns 880 with the bourkes on it. that helmet saw some serious fire and some pretty hard knocks( the doctor says the feeling should come back to my arms bought any year now!!!!). i loved the fit,feel and ride it gave.one thing that bugs me about modern helmets is the friggin height!!! i mean you gotta duck to get thru most doors with em on!!!but alas, all good things must come to an end(the liner and headband mainly) so i received a new ben 2(w/ bourkes, naturally) for xmas. i love it!!! it rides lower than the 1010, and man what a liner!!! it just kinda hugs your skull in velvety softness and it stays put. i would recommend one to every one.matter of fact four or five guys on my dept. have seen mine and are ordering one.

long live the FDNY!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

My Dept. issues Bullard helmets, I'm not sure of the model number but they are less than 10 years old. About half of our helmets are cracking around the edge and where the face sheild attaches to the helmet. Not sure if it was a bad batch of plastic at the factory or what. It's not like we get lots of fires to abuse the helmets in. In fact, we take very good care of our equipment more than some of our neighbors. The Bullards have a cheap head gear that makes your head itch and they don't fit very well. Most guys do not like the fit. I personally have not been very impressed with any of the Bullard line of helmets. I have a Ben Franklin II which I think is the best, but I guess that's another post!!!!

Stay low and keep your powder dry!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information