Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Question FDNY's New Commish???

FDNY's new commisioner is Nicholas Scoppetta, a 69 year old lawyer with NOfire experience. He is just coming off 6 years as the commish of the Administration of Children's Services in NYC.

From the AP article [quote]Bloomberg said he was selected for his background in ``management and building.''
    and [quote]``I think what I bring is experience in managing a large department,'' Scoppetta said.

I can't see this as being what the brothers want or need right now. I think they need a Leader who will not sell out, and do the right things...not a manager or a builder.

Just an outside opinion from across the Hudson.
    Kevin M. Fitzhenry
    Captain, Rescue Company 1
    City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

i agree a commish with no experiance
    how is he going to help the fept. i think the brothers up there are in for a wild ride. and i dont mean a good one eather
    2197 10-8
    stay safe stay healthy have fun
    9-11-01 dont let there sacriface be in vain

Who knows, the guy could turn out to be great...but it's not a good message to be sending right now to put a guy in who has no fire service experience.

That's the big problem that Philadelphia had for a while - you got the commish job because of political connections, not because you had shown that your knowledge and experience fit the job.

We'll see, I guess...let's hear from some of the brothers in NYC.
    "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Red face

This is sure a tough subject and is also my first on this forum.
    I was apalled when the first appointment was that of a very young man that had enough politico-connections to get Deputy FC first. Now (immediately after this news) a new name is mentioned. Well civilians have been appointed in the past buy they cannot be of any use now. This job is instantly changed by conditions of September attack and the loss by trauma of 343 members - 1/2 of the members lost in the entire 137 year history of this world class department. Atop that the department has been manipulated and transformed into a leaderless, commandless, demoralized group of professionals in the past few years by the present commissioner for whatever reasons he had directing him during this time.
    Next, most of the leadership of the fire department is beyond the minimum age to retire. Never has there been such pressure to "get out at all costs" as there is now. It is coming from both their individual families and friends and from the economic adjustments that will come from the massive amounts of ordered duty during this disaster. The only thing that can motivate these individuals to stay long enough to get the department in shape is just that - motivation beyond the need for money.
    If the needs of this department look like they are being ignored we are in for a great deal of trouble. As one great past Irish leader has said in this computer set up - "God help the FDNY."
    It really does not appear that anyone is paying attention.
    We - in the bullrushes of retirement are too devestated but will always continue to hurt for them and always love them and speak for them in areas that misunderstanding can abound. It is too bad that those values are not in place where they can count for something - anything.
    Prayers continue to be with our 'TEAMS OF GREATNESS" for the times to come.
    Sorry for the rambling - --

MembersZone Subscriber

FDNY HAD A FEW COMMISIONERS IN RECENT MEMORY WHO HAD NO EXPERIENCES IN FIREFIGHTING RE;COMMISIONER'S SPINNATO AND COMMISIONER BRUNO, THEY BOTH SEEMED TO WORK OUT UNTIL THE POLITICAL PRESSURE TOOK ITS TOLL ON THEM

Question

You know I asked myself the same sort of questions when I heard the news, but there are lots of things about FDNY that are just something specific to that department...such as the FD in the front.

Anyway, I think from what I know (not much) about the department that there are more directly involved people below the commish that are fire related. The commish appears to be more like a "mayor" of the department and takes care of the "business" side of the FDNY.

Example is the late chief that was killed at the WTC. He was a Deputy Commish but the main chief.

I saw where the Union stated they looked forward to working with the new commish. So, I guess that says a lot about it right there.

I would like to hear from some of the FDNY members on this forum...
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

It was going to be a tough choice regardless.

To tell you the truth, since they brought an outsider in as Commish, that has one thing on my mind . . .

. . . . . an open mind.

No bias (hopefully) positions on the fire dept. Whether it be with salaries, contracts, or goings on, he WILL need guidance, and will get it from the brothers and sisters whom remain in the FDNY. Where is he going to get it from?

Von Essen? He forgot about brotherhood when the seat in his office warmed up!!!!!

Thumbs up

There is one thing that I have to say, Tommy is really going to be missed he proved himself as a FF ,Off , the HEAD of the union, and THE FIRE COMMISH.what the higher up"s are thinking now I have no idea, I buffed at E-73 and L-42 for a couple of years , and rode the seat with Tom, he is one fine man, he has touched alot of FF and civilian hearts with the great job that he has done in his years on the job. Tom was a person who would take the time to explain stuff to you how things worked, not like others who would just think a simple answer was good enough.
    I just wanted to let you know Commish that you showed me a whole lot of knowledge in the fire service, and the tremendous job you have done with the tragic day of 9-11-01, i wish you all of the luck the world and the fire service has to offer.

BE SAFE John K

MembersZone Subscriber TailboardJockey's Avatar

When I visited NY in November, I heard nothing but bad things about Von Essen. About how he was going after guys for petty BS, trying to have them thrown out of the department.

Having an insider be appointed the commisioner isn't always a good thing. Maybe what they need is what toneloc177 says, an outsider with no axes to grind, and an unbiased point of view. Hopefully the guy will have good advisors to help him out.
    Living the dream...

Thumbs down

[quote]Originally posted by TRUCKWORK:
    [Q]There is one thing that I have to say, Tommy is really going [b]to be missed[b] he proved himself as a FF ,Off , the HEAD of the union, [b]and THE FIRE COMMISH[b]......I [b]buffed[b] at E-73 and L-42 for a couple of years , he has touched alot of FF and civilian hearts with the great job that he has done in his years on the job. [b]Tom was a person who would take the time to explain stuff to you how things worked, not like others who would just think a simple answer was good enough.[b]
    I just wanted to let you know Commish that you showed me a whole lot of knowledge in the fire service, and the tremendous job you have done with the tragic day of 9-11-01, i wish you all of the luck the world and the fire service has to offer.

BE SAFE John K[/Q]

Leaving out his actual time on the line, as I didn't work with him, taking into account his job as Commissioner, leads me to conclude that you are a full blown member of the "Von Yessen Image of the FDNY through Media publications"
    Great job? Killing moral, bypassing city laws, openingly declaring war on Unions, and on and on is a "great" job? If I ran a private business as "great" as Von Yessen ran us, I would have been out of business 15 minutes after opening my doors.

He always lets you know why something is being done? How about he finally fess up on why he tried to BLANTLY defy NYC law and change the leadership structure of the Fire Dept? How about explaining on why he wanted to replace Chief Ganci with someone NOT on the Chief of Department Exam list, another act in blantent disregard for NYC law? The sad part? This isn't even private Dept business. This is all items that papers reported.

You buffed. You only see what appears on the surface. Only the simple fact that i will NOT air dirty laundry on these forums keeps this post short. Otherwise myself, and almost every other Brother from our Dept can give a 12 page long list of stupidity from the Von Yessen administration.

Doc DC3
    ex FDNY (E74)

MembersZone Subscriber TailboardJockey's Avatar
    Living the dream...

Just a short note about the information offered by "TRUCKWORK"
    The writing in that post is EXACTLY what is wrong with Buffs.
    TB - FDNY

Sorry Brothers .no i guess i don"t really know what goes on inside the dept. I was just saying when i knew him that he was nice to me that is all, I don"t want to stir any s^%^% with anyone.

BE SAFE TRUCKWORK

Exclamation

nice try!!!

remember when the 'almighty' said how he would have "taken a baseball bat to their windshield." Referring to two EMT's who had fallen asleep in their ambulance. A little extreme, ya think!?!?!? Were they (EMT's) right . . . no, they went out 'no radio response'. Was the Commissioner right in telling others, that as these employee's boss he was going to take a bat to their CITY OWNED ambulance, and in doing so destroy CITY / DEPARTMENTAL property?????

what about the whole thing with the digital radios which fukn SUCK?!?!?!?!?!? Good call their too. Not an exact quote, but 'Well Boston and Chicago (think it was those cities) have tested them, and they continue to use them'.

rrrrrrrrrrEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAALL LLLLLLLYYYYYYY?????
    Nope Tom, fuked it up again! They may have tested them, but they were told that when in controlled situations the radio's messages were not being recieved all the time, and those departments were NOT using them. Even FDNY members who trained with them at the Rock (from what I heard) said these radios were junk . . . but he still ordered hundreds if not thousands of them. And how DARE he say that when a member called a MAY-DAY in an actual fire, that "Well, that member was not in any serious danger."

Hey pal, don't let the door hit your ***** on the way out. The biggest disappointment this department has probably ever seen was Thomas Von Essen. Rose up from a proby firefighter, to union head, to Commissioner . . . only to forget where he came from.

You are the weakest link . . . GOODBYE!

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

May God bless all the people and families who have lost
    their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
    toneloc177@firehousemail.com

Thread Information