Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Using Fire Trucks to Propose...

Just wondering if anyone out there has used a fire truck to propose and what you did with the truck? There was someone in Texas that used a ladder truck to climb to his girlfriends window. (The truck company got in trouble.)

Red face

One of my good friends used a ladder truck to climb to the third story of his girlfriends apartment to ask her hand in marriage. The local paper covered the story. (He even got permission from the Bat. chief).

Well the other chiefs didn't think it was so romantic. The public thought it was inappropriate.

Needless to say my friend took all the heat.

Be careful.

I remeber a few years ago, a guy in a busy Truck Company used a "RESERVE LADDER TRUCK", manned by off duty guys to propose to his fiance, who was a school teacher. She said yes, the kids LOVED the fact that a fireman was outside their window of the school, it was in all the NY papers, News Broadcasts, etc. Good Press, Happy Kids, and a Fireman and a Teacher getting engaged. This is Amercia Folks! It gets no better.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

I have heard of a few times where a fire truck was used to ask someone to marry them. As I see it firefighters are all family. And when a brother is asking his women to marry him she is also saying yes to all of the guys of the house as well.

Its sad that the old man gets upset when his nice little fire truck is used to do some training time. Really if you think about it, the firefighters were testing to make sure the boom worked and was in good working order, so if there ever is a fire at that apt. they will know where to park it and how far to extend the boom.

I heard that someone that lived across the street did not like seeing a fire truck outside the house and got upset when they found out it was to ask someone to marry him. Well let me guess it was some fat girl who no guy in his right mind would ask to marry so she got jelouse. I say you back up a engine and open the flood gate and flood her front yard with 500 gallons!

Everyone have a great and safe NEW YEAR!

Consider the possible scenario ( with apologies to the Bard of Avon, William Shakespeare)...

Ladder Company 1 in the community of Stratford on Avon is helping a fellow firefighter play "Romeo" and propose to his "Juliet". They pull up to her home on Montague Street, position the aerial, raise the stick, and "Romeo" goes to yonder window to propose to his betrothed. Just as he asks the question and produces the ring, Fire Alarm tones out a 1st alarm response for a working fire on Capulet Street...clear across the district! Now there is a delayed response by the truck. The OIC reports people trapped on the upper floors of an occupied multiple dwelling.

"Oh Ladder 1, Ladder 1, where for art thou Ladder 1? I haveth multiple occupants hanging off the balcony!!!"

Sorry...this was an unauthorized and inappropriate use of a piece of fire apparatus that put the citizens of Longview in jeopardy. I feel that the reprimands given were justified.

--------------------
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I haven't heard of one used for a proposal. I do know of an engine used at a wedding. It was an antique, personally owned, engine and the bride and groom rode tailboard from the church to the reception. What a sight! It was great.

The difference is obviously that it was NOT an in-service engine. The local chapter of SPAAMFA (Society for the Preservation of Antique Apparatus and ... I forget the rest) was happy to help out. Maybe next time the brothers should check into using a retired or antique rig. Some of those are completely restored and very sharp.
    Firefighting, a calling that never leaves you.

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

funny you should ask. Just like a week ago down in dayton a guy did this. The guy that did it was off-duty fireman and 5 on duty fireman went with him. of course she said yes. But the part that ticked me off the 5 on duty guys got in in trouble for using the truck for something other than a run.(i know stupid). and the guy was off duty didn't get in trouble. .it was a cool way to propose to her i think. probably knowing my luck just as i'd get ready to ask her my beeper would go off saying we need a ladder.
    we don't have a ladder or bucket in my dept. but if we did my chief wouldn't care.(atleast i don't think so. )

We had a firefighter do the same thing. We don't have a ladder truck so they took out the 2nd out engine and put up a ladder to her second floor window so he could ask her to marry him. As the rest, she said yes. He asked permission from the Chief who said it was ok. I guess some of the neighborhood kids came out and some neighbors too who thought that was really neat and romantic. No one in our town has made any complaint of the sort, everyone who heard of it thought it was pretty original. We are a paid on-call dept. so no one was "on duty" when it happened so no one was "taken away from their job duties."

My opinion is that if it doesn't take away from "duties" or if they are getting paid for it then yes, it is wrong to do. Otherwise if no one get hurt or no damage occurs, I see no problem with it.

Keep your head down and your powder dry!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Maplewood, fyi, that happened in Longview Texas.

Thread Information