Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Rant

Post Short Rant

OK, just to get it off my chest...

And most of you know I like to argue, uh, I mean debate as much or more than the next guy.

Anyways...

I got a guy sitting here trying to find the hidden meaning of life in every freakin' little thing. Asking me what I think the meaning of this line of a song means or when I see a feather fall from a bird!!!!

Time and again I've told him I don't look for hidden meanings because more often than not there aren't any! And if there are, they're insignificant to me.

Take the line from a song for example. I'm a music buff so I watch VH1, read, used to listen to RedBeard (when he was here, where is he now?) and all that. When an interviewer asks a guy that wrote a song what it means, they told him. Now I am qualified to some extent to speak as to what it means, after all, I heard the answer straight from the horses mouth.

This guy trys to tell me that that's not what it means it really means something different even though he has to take the song out of context to make it fit what he wants.

So now I got "Live The Way We Walk" (Genesis) going and having him analyze some of that. I can't wait to hear his analysis of Home By the Sea.

And the bird feather...

What if the bird is shot in season of course and all the feathers fall off? What the heck would that mean?

"Uh, well that's different."

"OOH OOOH look at that cloud!"

And he wants to tell me about something that happened to the friend of a cousin who was the friend of a friend to his sister on her husbands side as if it has loads of hidden meaning what so ever to his life...

Jeez!!!!

He's sitting not 5' away from me surfing the boards, I wonder if he'll read this one and get a clue. The only spoken words that have any meaning are songs and I ain't no poet...

Ya'll be safe!

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: mongofire_99 ]

It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Can the fine people at Firehouse.com start a forum for the psychiatrist (sp?) couch?

I don't know mongo, it seems to me that around christmas and new years holidays, people look back to find a meaning in life for everything that transpired in the last year. Besides everyone tries to read something different out of most every song out there.

But that was a good post.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Ok i confused, maybe its my hangover being new years day and all, but you two are arguing about the meaning of life?????????

I mean I have heard some strange arguments on these forums but this one takes the cake.

RyanEMVFD

people look back to find a meaning in life for everything that transpired in the last year.

Yeah, but he's like this all the time. ACtually thinks john edward talks to dead people too.

Besides everyone tries to read something different out of most every song out there.

I can get with that, but it's more than just songs, that was just where he went first freakin' thing this morning with Sister Christian.

This dude is wierd, but fun to have around to let some steam off on.

ggtruckie

but you two are arguing about the meaning of life?????????

Nah, I'm just trying to get him to shut up. He's always this way.

OLE

Anything else you need to get off your chest????

Mongo...
    Thanks. You have a great nack of bringing a smile to my face, even through my WIFES hangover .
    As to how to shut him up... Easy, use duct tape and then ask him if he can get the meaning of THAT!

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

the thing is one person's view on life can be different than your's and he can still be correct.Like yours might be help people,be a good citizen, and be a good family man. his might be to tick off his fellow workers,annoy the chief, and not care about his family. now far as debating i can see how that ticks you off. Usually i don't say anything unless it's really wrong.(there's one member i SERIOUSLY DON'T LIKE)(he hates young firefighters and he's called me a moron,idiot, he trys to tick me off) but he's a officer and i respect that still i don't say anything back to him.usually i walk around the station if he's doing this to cool off. He's trying to get me blow up on him so they can kick me off the dept.(which is cheap i know) the chief likes me. matter of face once i had training i wanted to go to chief had paperwork all set up to go. this guy that's takes care of all the money. goes over to chief and says he isn't going is he. he said yeah i was working on the paperwork here. He got ticked off threw a fit and just so he'd shut up chief said okay Derek you'll have to pay for this class. and when we do chores around the station you can't please him. It was after the fish fry(that's our fund raisers) and there was a about 4-5 neighborhood kids help sweeping out the 1 truck bay(it was october so it's a little cold) and i put up the big door so they could sweep it out onto the gravel he said what the hell do you think your doing wait until they have a pile next time i'm gonna let you pay for heat. i said alright so i put down the door. his son isn't any better(he's on the dept) we'll be at fish frys and have a line clear out to the little door(which is probably 30-40 ft long atleast of people) and we're try to work fast and he's over there talking with his buddies and drinking beer. . In the year in half i've been on the dept i think the son one went on 1 FIRE RUN . I understand things happen but if your a volunteer firefighter atleast try to make most of the runs. i feel bad when i miss 1 or 2.

Forum Member

This may be apocryphal, but it's still funny.

An interviewer was talking to Don McClean about his music.

He asked him, "What does the song "American Pie" mean?"

McClean's answer?

"It means that I never have to work again."

Exclamation

HA!

OLE

Anything else you need to get off your chest????

Well, there was this one time...

NCFiremedic

You have a great nack of bringing a smile to my face, even through my WIFES hangover.

Glad to be of service amigo!

Easy, use duct tape and then ask him if he can get the meaning of THAT!

We even miller boarded him once and left him out in front of the station proped up between the doors. Still didn't work.

Maplewood F.D.

the thing is one person's view on life can be different than your's and he can still be correct.

Even if it contradicts facts?

now far as debating i can see how that ticks you off.

, I love a good debate!

Quint1Medic

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!

And you don't ever want to get this guy started on American Pie (he even thinks madonna's version is better)...

toneloc177

HA!

HA hell, maybe he'd listen to you about Funky Cold Medina or Wild Thang.

Forum Member

Talking

Mongo

When I saw the first line of your post I thought it was going to be about Larry AKA "the seventh power"

Mongo,
    At least he gives you something to debate about. I imagin with you and him around the fire station, it is not a dull place. Be thankful that it takes all kinds of people to make up our world, if everyone thought alike, it would be dull world and every one would be fighting to do the same thing.
    Larry

Mongo Dude Man.They tried that duct tape thing on me but the simpletons didn't use the high speed stuff so it didn't work.Happy hangunders and all that,mr. turkey is about to get introduced to mr.fryer.Happy hunting Amigo! T.C.

ricky

When I saw the first line of your post I thought it was going to be about Larry AKA "the seventh power"

Got no beef with him.

We disagree on some things, each of us can live with it so we can move on.

larry cook

At least he gives you something to debate about.

You can say that again!

if everyone thought alike, it would be dull world and every one would be fighting to do the same thing.

Amen

Rescue 101

They tried that duct tape thing on me but the simpletons didn't use the high speed stuff so it didn't work.

You talk to fast for duct tape?
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Mongo...every firehouse has at least one of these type of people (I think it's an ISO or NFPA requirement! ). It does make life at the firehouse interesting, especially when you can let them ramble on for a bit about things they have no clue about, then blow their theory out of the water in one short sentence!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I think he needs to take a "Monty Python" break
    so he can find out the REAL "meaning of life"
    He might be able to understand better if pictures
    are involved. Stay cool

Wink

Mongo,
    I been out of pocket a couple two or three months, good to see you are still in fine form....Maybe you could use a vacation away from this guy and the station and all? Knowing your luck, though, you'd wind up the same type of individual for a stewardess, or reservation clerk, or bellhop--whatever. Maybe duct tape it truly an option I also think that Capt G is right, it HAS to be an NFPA deal or something, as we have ours as well.
    Oklahoma Bound!

Sounds like too many shroom and weed cocktails. Was this person a latch-key-kid?

Forum Member

Mongo, does he look like an aged Jim Morrison? He hasn't been out in a while.......

Cool

mongofire_99 I figured out a way to take care of your little pest. Find someone new for him to bother or get the extra strong duck tape and wrap it many many many times. Use the hole roll if you have to or you can stuff him in a closet or some other out of the way place and put a do not disturb sign on the door. Also be sure to secure the door so he doesn't accidently get out. You can't have him getting out and bothering any one else.
    If you spend your entire life looking for a hidden meaning to every little thing life will pass you buy.

Thread Information