Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post The type of people around firehouses

Ok, Mongo's rant got me thinking...

For fun, let's list off the different types of people you can always find around a firehouse:

(not numbered in any particular order)
    1) The guy looking for hidden meanings (from Mongo's post)

2) The guy who knows EVERYTHING (even better than the instructors at the academy)

3) The guy who sticks his nose into everything
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Exclamation

Hey you forgot one,

The Rescue Randy with the Batman EMS Utility Belt, the emergency lights on his personal vehicle, and three radios and a pager (just in case he doesn't hear one of the others)

Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

MembersZone Subscriber

1) The guy that takes offense to everything and always says, "I'll just quit then!" and then never does.

2) The guy that doesn't let anything get to him. (Need more of this guy).

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Jedimike007 ]

The firehouse is a lot like a lighting store....you have your spotlights, that shine in one area, your chandeliers and floodlights, that shine over a wide area, rough service bulbs that perform all the heavy duty grunt work and can take the abuse, and then you have your share of 4 watt nightlight bulbs, which shine as little as possible and like to stay hidden in the dark recesses of the firehouse!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Good one Captain Gonzo!
    ftm-ptb-rbp
    leather forever

Cool

You can't forget the :

1. "book smart street stupid" guy/gal- You know the guy/gal who is smart as a tack, but couldn't apply it to save his/her life

or

2. "dumb ox"- the guy/gal who has a heart of gold and will try to do anything you ask, but has difficulty sometimes.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Hey Gonzo, you forgot the christmas light bulbs that only come out once in a while.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

In my department we have a couple of members that I call the "cooks". They are called that because they love to stir the pot and sit back and watch. These are the first people to complain however if they are the targets of rumors or being busted on. There is another type of member called the want a be. These are members that are trying to live up to their fathers reputation ( ie. a heavy drinker, superfireman, or know it all).
    "Fire Prevention is our Intention"

What about the three-way bulbs (versatile), the black light (strange), and the burned-out bulbs (should retire)? And what about those little pen lights?

Don't forget my personal favorite:

The ones that keep the couch from floating away. Lazy SOB's.

"Oh well, we are going to train? but I need to go pick up the pizza I am about to order"

then there is also the salty dog:

"Back in my day...."

yea you know the story it happened before the greenhouse effect so it snowed every day and somehow the mountains moved a back then to so they were always walking uphill.

Then there are the A holes like me:

"Well chief if we change the test to quiz them on the soap operas then everyone would pass."

Duplicate Post

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: ggtruckie ]

Forum Member

you guys forgot one of the most important people:

the prankster
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

doublepost - oopsy!

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

don't forget the "knife-n-forkers" (a.k.a. "free-loaders")

- these people will always show up for a free party, meal, trip, dinner, etc.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

May God bless all the people and families who have lost
    their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
    toneloc177@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

Cool

1) the couch cook - who stirs the pot from their well worn couch

2) Look at me's - they have done so much in their own eyes.

3) The snake - lies and starts rumors while smiling to your face

BUT they are not all bad

4) The work horse - The one that keeps going till the job is done never asking but deserving of praise.

5) The Energizer - They keep working and working just because it needs to be done.

Need more of the later and less of the first.
    FDNY never will we forget

Or the one's who say " That's a stupid idea. We don't need to do that." to anything that someone else comes up with.

How about the guy who thinks he has to voice everything he has to say across a county wide radio broadcast? You know what I mean the one that stops by the station when there is a call and grabs a portable and talks on it county wide just to exercise his LIPS.
    Live Life day to day and enjoy it you never know when your time will come due.

most deffinately the book smart street stupid guy. he has all kinds of certs that says he knows exactly how to do it and will tell you all about how it`s done, but don`t ever ask him to do it on the scene, hopefully he`s not even on your truck that day

The people found around the firehouse are, with a few exceptions, the greatest people in the world.

Guys that can't wait to get it on and guys that work harder at avoiding work than what the work would require.

We've got the run of the mill you guys are talking about and tree huggers, Wyle E. Coyotes (Super Genious idiots), STANs (toppers)...

The fire service, career and volly, is undoubtedly the most diverse work force in the nation: Drs, lawyers, elected officials, self maded millionaires, laborers, fry cooks, mechanics, techies, educators, paper boys, janitors, Christians, Muslims, Jews, JW, LDS, cops, waiters and waitresses, mail men and femail men, engineers, playwrites, you name it, they're here somewhere.

The people around the firehouse come from, go back to and stay in all walks of life and for career guys, one out of every three days and vollys maybe three hours once a week plus calls, we all put our backgrounds and differences aside and come together for one purpose. And from the rich to poor, GQ to slob, each member is willing to lay down their life for their brothers and sisters and fellow man regardless of the differences betweem them.

They my be shining starts, shiftless losers oir anywhere in between, but around the firehouse you'll find the cream of each crop.

People around the firehouse are my family, even the analyzer.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Talking

Personaly I like the mood swingers. ****ed one minute and happy as a clam the next. Its funny. Also the guys that sit in the office all day long reading the paper and never saying a word. The only time you hear them speak is on scene. I also like the members who have been with a department for some time but never show up, and then get ticked when a new guy is on the truck.
    Feet Don't Fail Me Now!

Thread Information