Question Whats a Pioneer Cairns SCBA??

Prior to my joining the Department, the Town purchased 5 sets of Pioneer Cairns SCBA back in 1994, cheapest tender of course, in addition to the existing three Scott sets in service. Our fellows find them more comfortable, easier to use than the Scott 2.2's, however, the Cairns seems to be made with more flimsy, plastic parts, and we think our late 1980's Scotts will outlive the newer Cairns. The dealer in our province dropped the Cairns line a couple of years later. Did our Dept. get a line of SCBA that nobody uses or wants? Anybody out there use the Pioneer Cairns SCBA?? Or use it and get rid of it??

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I have used thye Cairns air packs at the tech college I teach for. They are very easy to use and I found the harness itself comfortable to wear. We have had no problems with them as far as to them holding up. My only gripe was with the buckles on the face piece, I found they dug into the side of my head. I just heard they have a larger face piece so that may not even be a problem anymore.

I think Atlanta was using the Cairns...Not positive though.

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp

Forum Member

Had them in Ontario too. Only 4 were purchased worked well but Scott won out and they were sold to a small municipality in the North.

Forum Member

They are not that bad of an air pack we bought a whole bunch of them about 10 years ago. We will be replacing them soon and we will not be buying them again, not becuse they are a bad pack we have had horrible service from them, months to get parts, almost a year to fix packs sent back to the factory. We bought two con space packs new from them opened the box and the cylinders were due for hydro. We will be having about 15 packs for sale with a spare cyl. We also have alot of spare parts. I am not in charge of selling them but if you are interested send me some info and I will pass it on to the people that are.

My department purchased the Pioneer in 1991, 20 units. They were all upgraded to the pro with I-Pass.
    All the members like them, and we maintain them in house as anyone can after manufacturer traing (three day class).
    If service is the problem then you should call the CAIRNSAIR Company and they will direct you.
    A year for repairs????

Thread Information