Thread: Budget Cuts

Forum Member

Post Budget Cuts

To all those out there who thought September 11th would change things, what do you think about the news article from New York City that reports the new mayor has proposed cutting the police and FIRE budgets?

If NYC is thinking about Fire Department budget cuts can other municipalities be far behind?

Same old story....you guys did great BUT we have to cut from somewhere to save money and besides you guys always find a way to "do more with less".

I would be real interested to hear from FDNY members (unless you feel you might become targets of the new regime).

Good luck to all of you who might be under the accountant's "screw-tiny" (purposefully misspelled) and God bless all (especially the brothers and sisters of the FDNY.

Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)

I wouldn't be too alarmed at that request. It is budget planning time for the fiscal year and it is not unusal to receive requests for 2 or 3 different budget submissions. Usually they want one over the previous year, one equal to, and one under (the cuurent budget).

I wouldn't be too alarmed at that request. It is budget planning time for the fiscal year and it is not unusal to receive requests for 2 or 3 different budget submissions. Usually they want one over the previous year, one equal to, and one under (the cuurent budget).

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

5 or 10 percent? That would be a piece of cake. They just slashed our budget 38% overall and 80% in the new equipment purchases area.

So...as far as the good will and feeling that firefighters are indispensible heroes...it ain't here my brothers, it ain't here. But as always we will struggle along and do the best we can.

You know the incredible irony to all of the cuts...this year we went from an ISO 7 to a 5. This was at a signifcant savings to some of our citizens, depending on their insurance carrier. I know for a fact that it saved me $96 a year. I was asked how the cuts would affect us and I said I hope we can hold the 5 and for sure going for the ISO 4 would be on hold (we are only around 8 points away from a 4). It didn't seem to matter to them.

So much for being heroes.

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp

Thread Information