Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Does your Fire Chief need a swift kick back to reality?

I know this one is going to raise a few eye brows. You may even want to use an alias to comment. Lets hear it guys, the truth that is! How many fire departments have a chief that has worn out his welcome or has just been there way to long? I understand that some of these chiefs have alot of experiance in the fire service. I'm talking about the Chiefs that refuse to change. They are stuck in the past and dont feel that thier city or township needs to change. You know the ones I'm talking about. Tell me how you feel. I'm sure there are plenty of guys/gals that need to vent about thier so called Chief.

Forum Member

Cool

Alright, if I was the web team I would post a disclaimer, something to this effect:

"Attention: Just as easily as you were able to access and read these forums, so can the rest of the world, including but not limited to fellow firefighters, officers INCLUDING your CHIEF, and sadly enought the general public who approves your budget's and salaries. So post wisely! Before you slander another firefighter, department, chief or citizen remember IT'S A SMALL WORLD OUT THERE FOLKS!" And the thousands of people who post here are only a fraction of the people who read these. Take it from experience, you'd be surprised how some negative things can get back to the wrong people."

There, I'm done and I think most FH Forum Vets will agree.

-Nick

Thumbs down

Thanks Nick...Ditto. Now, with that out of the way, anyone foolish enough to air out their personal problems on this very public forum, go ahead. Just don't be suprised when the stuff Nick warned you about comes true.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Schmidt ]

yep we do
    Firemen and Emts
    God bless them

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

our old chief yes (he got voted out)(he's a another word for a donkey)
    our new chief(which is up for re election next month)he's cool as heck. He's taught me a lot and I trust him more. most of the younger firefighters like the new chief vs the old chief cause the all the young firefighters(like 35 and under) would do is at scenes like direct traffic,change air bottles,roll hose,stuff like that(i know it's important jobs but he wouldn't let us up on the "front lines") which me being almost 20 kinda of ticked me off cause I'd have to put in 15 years before i even get to go into a house fire.the old chief believed in experience is the best thing(which i agree is important but you gotta try new things occassionally.) I tried to impress the old chief by going to every training we offered (thinking maybe I get to "go into the fire") sure enough next fire i was directing traffic. The guy that did go in hadn't been to training(the whole time i was on the dept)(for atleast 4-6 months) but he had been on the dept for like 10 -12 years. Then this new chief got elected(he was asst chief)(i think)(i know he was an officer) anyhow he doesn't have the same guys doing the same thing all the time.(grant it i don't mind doing traffic once in a while but to do it time after time it gets old)

Thumbs down

MapleWood, didn't you read what Nick SBFD 6, and PyroSlayer said about trashing other firefighters. When you have a few years of experience you can critisize but until then keep your opinions of other firefighters to yourself.

We all have problems with other FF but most of us try to solve them in house. Airing your dirty laundry in public is not the way to do things.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Forum Member

Sorry, guys, but I have to disagree with you. Have a pair and sound off! I'm all for not trashing brother firefighters, especially when one's information is derived from anything other than first-hand experience, but there comes a point when information sharing is beneficial.

We would have appreciated a 'heads-up' from our brothers in Augusta before DC hired Ronnie Few. I don't know if it would have made any difference, but we might at least have realized the depth of the disaster that his short tenure would bring. This mutt has been an unmitigated disaster. He has repeatedly ignored his existing managers in favor of, as one of my brothers so succintly refers to them, 'the 84th Regiment of the Georgia Incompetents'.

The last straw occurred yesterday morning. There was a flag-raising ceremony at one of our stations celebrating 100 years of service at that location. According to our regulations, the flag is raised at 0730 hours each morning, and the ceremony was planned for that time. At 0730, no Fire Chief. He sauntered in at about 0800, long after the conclusion of the ceremony. He then proceeded to make a speech to the three or so people (other than the five firefighters on duty) that were still at the station. And he wonders why the troops can't stand him!!

Can you believe the disrespect this idiot has for the firefighters of this great city? I just hope the mayor comes to his senses before the department is irreparably damaged (if it isn't already).

If and when this nitwit and his band of sycophantic hangers-on are finally exposed for the fraud they have perpetrated on DC, I hope anyone dumb enough to consider him as their chief will contact ANY fire station in DC to get the real scoop.

Man, do I feel better!! Thanks for allowing me to vent a small amount of my frustration.

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

sorry E6 my hat/helmet goes off you you guys.
    I know we had a big celebration for our 50th year of service(in 1996 but i wasn't on the dept cause i was only 14 at the time).The chief should have been there at 7:00 to make sure everyone and everything ready. Since he's leading the men he should be setting an example. How does he expect the men to be to work on time when probably one of the biggest days of the dept's history he's late to? all i have to say is hang in there. If you keep doing your best and this idiot keeps goofing up you might take his job.

Forum Member

Wow, Schmidt, that is a radical step to take. I agree that you can't allow the top dogs, whether they are homegrown or imported MUTTS, to impact your psyche to the point that you resign.

We can't forget the infamous A.D. Bell from Atlanta who spent a very short but memorable stint as Fire Chief in PG County, Md.

**NOTE TO MY GEORGIA BRETHREN: It seems like there is a pattern developing here. Y'all need to export a few good chiefs to rebuild your tarnished reputation.**

Oh, well, the good news is that these imports are usually exposed for what they really are in relatively short order and move on to spread their bullsh*t in another community.

Forum Member
    Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

Question

Could this be a result of politics; the hiring of these unwanted chiefs. Or could it be that the jurisdiction that they are coming from wants to get rid of them that much they don't speak up? Maybe they are just that good at selling themselves. Look at the gentleman from Notre Dame that supposedly falsified his resume. He could talk the talk and walk the walk but it all caught up to him after awhile.
    I think that most chiefs have really good intentions to do a good job and serve the public but end up wrapped around the political flag pole. Some also may just feel that they "Deserve" what they "Take" or don't feel that it is wrong. This results in a lack of attention to the functionality of the day to day business of the department and the needs of the troops. It can not only affect the department negatively but can be a real nonmotivator for new people and hopeful recruits. They see the negative atmosphere and look for another place to work or volunteer.
    I will say that posting comments on this web site can be taken the wrong way by people if one is not careful. I believe in the good sense claus of employment.

Hey if you got a set big enough to speak your mind and stand behind your words when someone from your department reads them..then I say go for it! Luckily our Chief is a hell of a guy. Very young...but he has had 100% of calls for several years and I have never seen anyone so dedicated to a volunteer organization before. He is compassionate, understanding, and a pretty great guy all around. He has some things to learn...his communication skills are not the best, but no one is perfect...we all have things we can improve upon. There are of course some guys on the department that don't like him, but the ones that do, are the one that do the majority of the work and they are the ones that are there for calls, drills, etc. The way I see it...either get behind the officers, the department, the goals, or get out. No one wants to put up with the bs whining that goes on..and every department has these issues. So I make the best of it. I speak up when the Chief and other members do something I don't agree with, or don't like, and that way they know my position on things. I can't stand it when people don't open their mouths when they should - like during meetings - then spend the next three weeks bitching to anyone that will listen that they don't agree with what happened at the meeting. PLEASE. So either speak up when you don't agree or shut up and go with the flow. To those who have Chiefs that don't do the job I say - get a meeting together, voice your concerns, issues, etc. then see what happens. Maybe your Chief does not realize that he is viewed the way he is. No offense, but until you tell him you shouldn't bitch about it. Good luck to you all. Take care.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Yeah My town fire chief need to retied because he is gettinh way too old for the job andsometime he a jerk to other peoples and at a drill he all most left and when home to got back to bed.
    and the drill was not ever done

MembersZone Subscriber

We started a program many years ago that allowed for new blood to be brought into the leadership of the department. Our Chief's term is for 5 years only. This allows him/her enough time to make any changes or steer the department thier way. In my 20 years, I have been under the leadership of 4 Chief's and have seen some good and bad decisions come from them. If I could I would take the best of all 4 and create a
    "SUPERCHIEF". This is because each one had their great strengths which were different from the others before them.
    The other good thing about this program is it allows the advancement of Junior Officers in a scheduled progression. It also gives a officer enough time in each postion to gain experience before moving up. This is not a automatic promotional event because we require a written test , oral board and minimum training to be qualified to move up.

" The opinions stated by me are my own and may not be those represented of the department I belong to"
    "Fire Prevention is our Intention"

Forum Member

hctrouble25, Amen brother... I say "The making of a good leader begins as a good follower". Of course, some people are just incorrigible.

stay safe, Frank
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

ok this story may sound alittle strange but I would like to say it is also completeley the truth.
    The story is about our present chief and about how he is completely destroying our department it started back in 1994 when our one chief resigned due to a job he took with a worldwide chemical manufacturing company OMG in the years he was chief he set up certain training requirments an accountability system and had all these programs going, but when the problem started the chief that took office after him (due to popularity and not good leading skills)was primed to keep all of these things in place and running but he found out he had cancer and let our assistant chief take on as acting chief which was the worst thing that would happen to our department. This person who was acting chief let the oppertunity for our department to become fully FF1, and urban search and rescue certified and many other things because "he didn't feel they were necessarry" he also let the accountability slide into a situation of looking to see who is on scene instead of not just knowing with the accountability system, and things just got worse he let in house training go because he felt it was not important, and things just kept getting worse but how worse could they possibly get? much worse. And one day everything in our department went straight to hell that day was 1-11-01, this person had just been reelected to a chief's position and had been sworn in only for 4 day's along with all of our officer's of 2001 when a normal structure fire turned out to be deadly to one of our guy's. the house was a single story house which was a double wide trailer and had a basement underneath, But what I am saying is this person's bad leading and decision making skills and inability to look bad in front of other departments by not letting a house burn to the ground and doing defensive firefighting he decided to continue offensive interior firefighting in what was described by many of the firefighter's inside as literally hell it was soo hot and soo smokey many older member's were comented saying they had never seen anything like it before in their entire career as volunteer's, But this decision to not pull out and surround and drowned proved fatal for one of our guy's who we didn't know was in thier when the one room flashed and our one member came out a window on fire and was taken to a hospital while all that was going on one of our member's was trapped inside frantically trying to get out and this is where bad leadership skills comes in. The person inside was an officer he had radios and minimum training as a firefighter but had been doing it for about 13 years, our chiefs inability at the time to hold a firefighter survuval class at the suggestion of many state of pa fire instructor's who are also member's of our department because he felt it was unneccesary, and the fact that he never told anyone to vent the roofwhich would have lessened the smoke and heat inside, and he ignored suggestions from other officer's under him to pull out in the end this simple little fire had claimed one firefighter's life, injured another and in the end the house was a complete loss, But it doesn't stop there it does get worse in the month's to follow our department pulled together and for a short time everything was going in the direction it should be and our chief got an accountability system up and running and we started investing in things like thermal imaging and the GEMS sytem an automated accountability system, but things slide back to the way they were before the things that NIOSH pointed out to have caused the death of our firefighter was denied by our chief because he "didn't do anything wrong" and it was "by the book" he wouldn't let us have certain training because he din't want to schedule it and we tried to vote him out this year but it didn't work him and more of his good ole boy buddies are now in control of our department and we are afraid of what may happen next and now may we all see the reason their is a such thing as criticism because if you don't let someone know they are doing a bad job then they will continue to get worse and worse and worse we are curently trying to find a way to get this chief out of office and someone who tried to run for chief and was ready to do the job and make change and put our department back on track into the position of chief.

So in the end this one chief has literaly destroyed our department and because of his way's of doing things our department has suffered and our community has suffered as well with more people walking away and less people showing for calls it makes our department look very bad and all of this was the result of one man a chief who should never have been chief so the lesson here is simple don't elect people into a position because they are cool or have a good personality elect good officer's the mover's and the shakers the people who can get the job done and make change.

Chief Rizzo - Thanks! I definitely believe that most members in any orginzation will bitch at some point in time. But bitch to the right people about the right things. Last time I checked I didn't read minds, and I doubt our Chief, Asst. Chief, Captain, Safety Officer, etc. do either. If you don't speak up about something then you have no reason to bitch..just like voting..if you don't vote, then don't bitch when something doesn't go the way you wanted it to. Be there to vote on it and have your voice heard or keep quiet. I am considered a "bitch" by many on my department because I am the only active female and I speak my mind whenever I feel it necessary. We all make mistakes, including officers, and leaders. Having Chief in front of your name does not make you SuperFireFighter! That is for sure. I trust my officers, but I also talk to them about issues I have, things I want to do, etc. That way I take responsibility for myself...you know, like an adult. Oh well, I guess no department will ever be perfect. But if you do your part and take responsibility for your own words and actions, then no one can fault you. Unfortunately you cannot change others and that is usually where the problem lies. Take care.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Forum Member

Talking

so hc... is your middle name really "Trouble"?
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Thread Information