Thread: Brush Fires

Forum Member

Question Brush Fires

How many Depts. are running wildland fire calls "brush fires" in there turn-out gear?

Last spring we were given approx. 30 pairs of forestry gear on loan from the USFS. But not everybody gets a pair for one reason or another. We who do not have them wear our turnouts. I personally wear my boots and pants, gloves, and my helmet. Other wear carharts or jeans with their bunker coats and helmets.

We live in a rainforest, so we only get a half a dozen or so "brush" calls a year. So we don't get very much experience with these type of situations. Up until a year ago, people would wear SCBAs while fighting a grass or shrub fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wearing SCBA's while fighting a brush fire?!! Ugh! That must've drained your guys pretty quick!

I few of our people have wildland gear, the rest have turnouts. Some pull their liners for brush fires, though it's officialy against our SOP.

Good news is we just received a grant to equip everybody from head to toe with full wildland gear.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

We wear our turn-outs on "Brush Calls" That the only gear we have....In the Summer Months we may drop our coats but that is at the officers descrestion
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Forum Member

Structural firefighting gear is all we have.. so that is what we wear. I have been on some pretty hot brush fires, so I don't complain. We just rehab more frequently when we need to and we'll drop the coats in the summer time when we are taking care of hot spots as the fire is put out.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Last year we got a few sets of nomex jumpsuits. Lightweight, and they breath really nice. We are the envy of a couple of mutual aid companies we assisted recently. For what we usually get , normally just dry leaves and ground brush, they work very well. The full bunker gear was a heart attack waiting to happen.

Forum Member

fyrfoto is very right heart attack waiting to happen. Even as I have had friends from other depts respond to brush fires with bunker gear, I am not sure how they did it. Working in Calif we have both sets of gear on our truck. And now working in Washington State, I make sure that if I am running a fire that all guys have a fire shelters with them.

A company that I have got some gear from is fire Cachethey have some good nomex and for fire packs to carry gear on the brush fires some depts I know use military web gear. But I have been using a Ruffian Packfor a few years now and it has been great. For the bigger guys, they will make a pack for you too, we have a guy who is around 300 pounds and they made one for him.

If anyone would like any info to help get there companys outfitted with wildland gear let me know.

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

interesting you should bring this up there's a big debate at my department over training for wildfires. Ohio hardly ever has wildfires. But we occassionally have Brush fires or small woods fire. a lot of methods used in Wildfires are used in brush fires. so all the older guys think I was nuts for getting my "Red Card"(if you don't know what this is you gotta take 3 courses, take a psyical test, then you get a Card saying you completed these course.) matter of fact I had to pay(out of my own money) for the classes. They REFUSED TO PAY FOR THE CLASSES .I even offered to go 1/2 on the expense. They said we're not gonna pay for a class you'll never use. (whatever). So Now i'm trained for this.We don't have Wildfire Gear(I couldn't even get the class paid for alone get them to buy gear for me).yet i bet at the next good brush fire or woods fire they'll come up to me and ask about fire behavior or something i learned in class.

Forum Member

Maplewood,
    well you have had the training now you can be "pimped" out to the forest service for fires anywhere, call the closest forest service forest and let them know you have your red card, and your up for disptach, you will get payed and so will your dept, that is where the term "pimped" comes into play. After you have enough hours on wildfires, and get a few other training classes you can then teach others about wildfire.

What some depts are not understanding is that there is going to be urban interface fires where fires have never burned before. This is going to only get ff's hurt because they dont have the right training and the right gear.
    And maple if I remember right your a bigger guy so I am sure ruffian will work with you to help get some gaer that will help you.
    And for having to pay to take the class, remember its always a write off on your taxes. So is the fire gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I found myself fighting a brush fire last summer in Turnouts, wow have I changed. I have been a full time forester/USFS and Wildland firefighter for 13 plus years and still have a seasonal part time job so you would think I know better, yet with my full-time City job there I was in Turnouts on the Mountain side and YESS it kicked my a&s. I must blame my full time employer for not providing me with the PPE, we have some brush coats but that was about all we have. we finally got some full-wildland PPE this fall and should do better this next year.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Forum Member

Yeah C Taylor,
    Utah is a nice place for fires, only been there once for a 14 day run.

I have found myself bringing my gear with me even when on vacation, I was coming back from a fishing trip with my dad in oregon and saw some a nice like of smoke as I came over a pass, I turned on my radio to see if there was anyone in route. I was the second off duty ff on the fire. The other guy had his turn-outs on.
    The winds started to pick up, the fire was making a good run. I only had one saw and a shovel in my truck. The fire was about 3 acers but running. We started to cut line, the guy with the turn-outs lasted around 30 min before he was out of it. The other ff got on the fire they were all in turn-outs.
    I normaly carry around a gallon of water with me and that day I ended up giving it all out. It was about another 40 min's until the first FS/BLM engine and crew was on the fire but it was around 30 acers and making a good run.
    Now if the guys would have been in wildland gear they could have worked alot better and could of had a good line around half the fire.

I wonder this year how many ff will get hurt because they dont have the right ppe's or gear.
    Or maybe every dept should have like 5 guys who are fully trained in wildfire?

Another idea is if any engine companys get a wildfire try to get extra gear from the fire cache when on the fire to bring back to your station for the other guys, a pair of pants here and a nomex shirt there will go a long way

I remember one hott summer day, we had a woods fire that also had about 51 cars involved. I was on the Brush unit and I was just in my turn out pants and helmet and just had my FD T-shirt on. The FF's that was dealing with the involved cars had on full gear and SCBA. All others basically had on what I had on. The conditions were 101*f wind was nw at 15mph which was helping the fire blow though the pine trees. It took 4 FD's 18-20 trucks 120 total personal and ALOT of water....Have a good one! STAY SAFE

Sincerely,
    Chris Deyerle
    WFD
    Chris Deyerle<br />Emergency Service Officer<br />Civil Air Patrol<br />Alabama 123

Red face

Our FD has that problem...we applied last year for the overalls for forest fire fighting...our area is heavily wooded and very hilly...so its rough on a big fire due to the dragging up and down the hills...so we currently only have turnouts to wear...sometimes we have to tell people to lose to coat just for the heat factor cause its just too much. so hopefully, our grant will go through the next time we try it.

Adam
    Dayton District VFD
    Dayton, PA

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

The weight of a forest firefighting gear(with backpack) vs regular gear(without SCBA) is pretty close.cause when i took my Red Card Test i had to fast walk with a 50 lb backpack.and to all the forest firefighters that thing gets heavy even after a 45 min test. most fire depts don't require members to carry this backpack(if they aren't just a forest firefighting crew).
    The best way to train for this test i found out is find a treadmill(this will measure distance and the good ones time you to and tell you your rate of speed) i'm a big boy (6 ft 6 300-310 lbs) and it works me good.(the 3 miles in 45 mins in full gear)

Thread Information