Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

Thumbs down Securitex Gear....DANGEROUS??????

< !-- MESSAGE DELETED -->

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: WebTeam ]

My dept has had Securitex for a couple of years. To the best of my knowledge nobody has yet been burned. (YET!) The stitching is falling apart on most of the gear though. Zippers coming loose, seams coming apart etc. We are not getting very good support form our dealer either.
    I belive we will likely be investigating alternatives to Securitex as we begin to replace the stuff that is falling apart.

Can anyone tell me if these problems are with all securetex liners or just some from a particular year/make? I currently have a set of securetex, and the liner is having the same problems with the seams coming apart! I never gave it too much thought, we just keep fixing it as it seperates! On another note, I am not too happy with with my outers either. They just don't stand up to the punishment of everyday f.f.'s! My securetex is my volunteer f.d. gear, it would never stand up as my career f.d. gear! The reflective is no longer reflective, and alot of spots are wearing thin, this after just a few years of service! Any thoughts let me know!

< !-- MESSAGE DELETED BY WEBTEAM -->

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: WebTeam ]

Thumbs down

intheoven,

our department bought 5 sets of Securitex about seven months ago. We went with it based on price, primarily. Boy, were we stupid! With this brand of turnouts, we really found out that "you get what you pay for". I usually am on a engine company and see my fair share of fire and heat. I have had Morning Pride for about 3 years and it is still in good condition. After just one fire, the Securitex gear had started to tear and the heat on the firemen was almost unbearable. To those considering it, DON'T!!!

I have Quaker right now which is probably the cheapest cost wise out there today, plus it is made right here in PA and I love the stuff.

As a Volunteer Firefighter for 30 years and a Career Firefighter for 21 1/2 years and a fire service insturctor, I will share this with you. I have used or been involved with some sort of testing on everything but Morning Pride and found all of them to be decent gear except 1 of them. Since most manufacturers all buy their fabric from the same source it boils down to the construction features. Thats all I am allowed to say in this forum.

****This is my opinion as a FIREFIGHTER IN AMERICA, Exercising my Freedom of Speach. This opinion is only mine and does not reflect opinions expressed by my employer and has no association with my work and is expressed by me as a volunteer firefighter and instructor.*****

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: captstanm1 ]

09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

My own personal experience it is junk. I also have some real concerns about it's ability to hold up in high heat conditions and that it may be determined in the future that it is not providing adequite protection of Firefighter's currently using it. I am currently testing a set of newer set of Globe the previous set I had about 7 yrs ago it has a lot of patches on it and wouldn't have given you 2 cents for it. So far the newer set that I am testing, I do like it so far except for the collar the damn thing you can just about pull it over as a hood.

GOD Bless FDNY and ALL of the lost Brother's and their families.

Dave
    Firefighter
    FTM, PTB, RFB.

Jim LeBlanc
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use Securitex gear as well. We have had several cases where our guys have had their gear discolor when exposed to radiant heat. We have black gear which will turn red when exposed to high heat. Is this common to all manufacturers gear or is it more noticable because it is black?

Not taking up for any particular gear manufacturer but most is not all do not manufacturer the material, they just assemble it. The problem with the radiant heat issue (with black it is a more noticable thing when it turns red)is that with the breathable moisture barriers allowing you to perspire and take the moisture away, it is hard to gauge how hot the outer shell is getting. If you have noticed you have seen a increase in the number of melted helmets from in the past, same cause and effect that is allowing us to get deeper into a fire before we are experiencing heat.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: captstanm1 ]

09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I've had a set of securitex gear for about a year.
    It has seen a decent amount of fire, with no obvious problems. One of my co-workers did however experience some unusual problems with the gear when exposed to high temperatures.

Administrator

Just a note to users:

One, or more than one, poster in this forum is a representative of a distributor of a competing gear manufacturer. We encourage freedom of speech here, when accurate, and ask everyone to beware that comments posted are not necessaily fact.

Vendors, Manufacturer Reps and Salesman specifically are reminded that posting slanderous, inflammatory, or otherwise negative comments a competing manufacturer, or promoting your own specific line, is not appropriate and in violation of the Terms of Service of Firehouse.com Forums.

Thanks
    WebTeam

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Well anyway... I have seen some people on Ebay put this stuff up for bid and they can't even give it away.

Forum Member

Why do we get so soon old and so late smart? Price price price. Why would the cheapest be the best? I may be a volunteer, but that just means I deserve the best turnout available. Selling it to council can be tough, but hey it keeps you sharp. One of the best ads I ever saw explained it clearly. "If you've got a $30.00 head, buy that $30.00 helmet. Otherwise buy Bell" Same idea for turnout gear. 30 member volunteer dept serving 1300 pop. with NO cheap turnout gear. BTW I do not sell fire gear.
    This is of course only my humble opinion, but then again, its likely the only one that matters.

Eglenn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Let me state for the record. I am a volunteer and I am on the 'sales' side for bunker gear. I am not making any type of recommendation. My only statement is that it falls upon the FD to do the appropriate research and needs assessment, prior to purchasing from ANY 'fabricator'!!!!!!!!!!!

I've posted a new thread regarding vapour/moisture barriers in general. I want to ask, however, DOES THE AVERAGE FF KNOW WHAT HIS\HER GEAR CONSISTS OF???? Manufacturers (some) are using FLAMABLE materials as mosture/vapour barriers. Discolouration occurs when the dyes used "burn" off. If the thread is dyed BEFORE weaving, colour integrity is better than when the material is dyed AFTER weaving. In the case of nomex, its normal colour is khaki/beige and the garment will develope patches of this colour after exposure to extreme heat. A well made garment will allow for panel replacement if neccessary. A sleeve, for example, could be replaced at a fraction of the cost of new gear. I wish all senior officers, throughout the world, would develope an in depth interest in this contentious issue and to question the claims made by manufacturers.I only woke up after a fatal garment failure and I will continue to campaign for firefighter safety until I die.
    GOD BLESS THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF FIREFGHTERS< TODAY AND ALWAYS>

now they are deleting my posts...what happened to free speech???

I agree with svfr.....someone has responsibility to protet the firefighters.... research will show you the information you need. Just look!

I know some chiefs who have had burn incidents are sorry now they "saved a buck"

And by the way...I dont sell nothing.... Obviously I have hit a nerve somewhere as I have seen posts much more abrasive and even obscene to some point that are allowed to continue without deletion!

Arrow

Hey folks.....I thought when they remodeled this forum that they would find my lost/deleted messages and replace them.

I certainly must have struck a nerve somewhere. My only interest is in safety and I wanted to see who else had the same experiences with the product mentioned.

So much for freedom of speech!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Check with Jacinto City FD, located on the east side of Houston (Loop 610 and I-10E). They see a lot of fire thanks to being the only paid crew (except G.P.)in between Houston and Baytown, carrying the load of 90,000 to 100,000 people that the volunteers of three other departments sometimes neglect in the wee hours of the morning!! (Thank God for automatic aid) Anyway, the reason for this post, they bought Securitex a couple of years ago and had some people burned. Don't remember the details, so I'll leave it up to them.

Thread Information